Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

My ongoing Tacoma build!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingo View Post
So I called around and les schwab had the cheapest alignment I could find. They said it would take about 45 minutes. Well about two and a half hours later they come out and ask if they could show me some things and hands me this quote to fix everything :

He told me to get the alignment within specs he had to "make my steering wheel way off". So now when driving straight my steering wheel is almost a full 180 degrees turned. Completely blocking my rpms and the cruise control is pointing straight down so I bump it with my knee sometimes. Really quite annoying.

Here are alignment specs:

interesting...I hope I don't have that issue when I get my OME setup.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #22
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Absolute BS!! I was able to get mine aligned perfectly and the steering wheel is still straight. You need to take it somewhere else. They apparently offer the "cheapest" alignment so they can ram it up your a$$ with a quote for more than $1000 of "needed" repairs to "fix" your truck. Crooks. FWIW, I paid $85 for my alignment after I put my lift on. It was a small shop but came highly recommended from lots of bmw guys that had crazy track setups on their cars. The guy said he didn't have any issues getting my truck aligned to specs. That was 2.5 years ago and even after a lot of wheeling it's still nice and straight.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
interesting...I hope I don't have that issue when I get my OME setup.
I think it had more to do with the one of the repairs he quoted me for but he never specifically mentioned it. Also I didn't really know how off it was until I was driving away and I was heading up to AK the next day so I had a lot of stuff to take care of otherwise I would have taken it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Absolute BS!! I was able to get mine aligned perfectly and the steering wheel is still straight. You need to take it somewhere else. They apparently offer the "cheapest" alignment so they can ram it up your a$$ with a quote for more than $1000 of "needed" repairs to "fix" your truck. Crooks. FWIW, I paid $85 for my alignment after I put my lift on. It was a small shop but came highly recommended from lots of bmw guys that had crazy track setups on their cars. The guy said he didn't have any issues getting my truck aligned to specs. That was 2.5 years ago and even after a lot of wheeling it's still nice and straight.

Good call. I probably am going to take it someplace else and after driving 2400 miles on some pretty rough roads I might need another one anyway knowing schwab's track record. I'll start looking around up here and see where people recommend. Love the retro plasti dip btw
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Couple pics from driving the alcan. Portland to fairbanks, 2400 miles in 48 hours.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #25

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KID RAY View Post
Yep, Les Schwab stated I needed over 2 thousand dollars worth the parts and labor. Went to Big O Tires and got a second opinion, $ 450.00 later 2 new upper and 2 new lower ball joints installed, rack and pinion bushings installed, full set of anti sway bar bushings installed, and an alignment. My truck now drives and rides like brand new again, my steering wheel is perfectly centered as well.
Well that's promising. I'm going to start looking for some quality trustworthy shops up here for a second opinion.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #26

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
GentryGoon is on a distinguished road

Name: Gentry
GentryGoon's Tacoma Gallery
I'm likin the headlights, what did you do to them?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
After looking at your pics again, I think you've convinced me to stick with 265/75 tires when I lift. I'd love 33s but I don't want the power loss and MPG drop. Also may pick up the duratracs haha. So you'll essentially have a clone, except a DC and a hard topper rather than soft topper.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #29
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking truck!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
Dj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
Dj318's Tacoma Gallery
I've been thinking about doing this to my truck for about a month now, after seeing yours I've decided to go through with it! Looks great man! One question how exactly did you do your head lights? ��
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #31

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentryGoon View Post
I'm likin the headlights, what did you do to them?
Ty! I retrofitted hid projectors into them from a group buy here on TW. Lots of threads on how to's.

Quote:
After looking at your pics again, I think you've convinced me to stick with 265/75 tires when I lift. I'd love 33s but I don't want the power loss and MPG drop. Also may pick up the duratracs haha. So you'll essentially have a clone, except a DC and a hard topper rather than soft topper.
Haha that just means you have good taste I was also debating on 33's for awhile after getting my 265's but I love my duratracs and decided I'm just going to wait until they come out with duratracks in 285/55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
Good looking truck!
Ty sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj318 View Post
I've been thinking about doing this to my truck for about a month now, after seeing yours I've decided to go through with it! Looks great man! One question how exactly did you do your head lights? ��
There's a bunch of DIY threads on here and if you look through a couple of the old group buy install threads you can see exactly how I did them! Definitely worth it and a lot easier than most people think.

Also updated the op with a couple changes like my wet okoles... I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to spend my money on a supercharger or get a bruteforce hybrid bumper. Decisions decisions

Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #32

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Truck was wandering all over the road in the snow so I got some new tires which seems to have fixed the problem, also decided to go to 285/76/16

Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #33

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
How ya like them so far? Tackle any hills on the highway yet?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #34

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
I love them... I had duratracs before just in 265, so I knew what to expect. However now my wandering is basically completely gone and this ice/snow hasn't been a problem even in 2wd. Including hills on the highway!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #35

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. I wander all over too. After installing suspension, new rack bushings, inner/outer tie rod ends, and an alignment, it still wanders. I'm thinking it's my tires now.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
just dig it
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet truck man!!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Arctic Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Steve
Arctic Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I hear the 'Alignment Shop' in Fairbanks does good work just need plenty of lead time as he is pretty busy
Nice work on your truck, did you go with grease able rear shackles?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #38

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome. I wander all over too. After installing suspension, new rack bushings, inner/outer tie rod ends, and an alignment, it still wanders. I'm thinking it's my tires now.
Did you ever get your wandering issues sorted out? Mines significantly better than it was still, however I notice if the road is half ice and half pavement my truck makes a pretty solid effort to throw me around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRRT View Post
Sweet truck man!!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Taco View Post
I hear the 'Alignment Shop' in Fairbanks does good work just need plenty of lead time as he is pretty busy
Nice work on your truck, did you go with grease able rear shackles?
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely have to go check those guys out. I didn't go with greasable rear shackles.

Have been avoiding this site and updating my build like the plague because of the $$$$ all you fuckers make me want to spend on my truck. However I'm probably going to buy myself some birthday presents for my truck like a RTT and bed rack so figured I'd throw some updated pictures now that it's closer to 0 degrees outside.

Also might be picking up some 882's to hopefully lift the front a little more because my 285's seem to rub no matter how much I beat the shit out of my pinch weld / fenders

Well here's some crappy cell pics for now!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #39

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
I know these are a little blurry but all I had was my phone today...

I'll just leave these here for now...