Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Midtravel 1st Gen on 35's

Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #41
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
yea i read about that after i posted that. lol
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #42
SanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
SanClemTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe some of you guys could help me out.
When I'm driving on the freeway, my truck gets really lumpy (feels like wheels are out of balance, but i had them balanced maybe 2-3 months ago) and the suspension on the truck is brand new.

Any ideas WHAT is causing the problem?
I'm thinking the carrier bearing or something may be worn out?

If its the tires im just going to have to suck it up til they wear out
Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
take the tires off and get a normal size
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #44
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanClemTaco View Post
Maybe some of you guys could help me out.
When I'm driving on the freeway, my truck gets really lumpy (feels like wheels are out of balance, but i had them balanced maybe 2-3 months ago) and the suspension on the truck is brand new.

Any ideas WHAT is causing the problem?
I'm thinking the carrier bearing or something may be worn out?

If its the tires im just going to have to suck it up til they wear out
How many miles are on the truck? Wouldn't hurt to inspect the driveline for loose bolts, dents, anything abnormal.... could be the carrier bearing, but my best guess would be the tires themselves are causing the vibrations. I work at Discount Tire and cringe anytime someone wants to buy ProComp tires becasue THEY SUCK! lol There are a few brands of tires that customers request that when we install, we KNOW they'll be back in a few weeks complaining about vibrations on the highway. It could be the wheels as well.... Toyotas and aftermarket wheels don't go together very well... :\ I would try replacing the tires first, however, since it looks like they need replacing kinda soon anyway. BFG and Michilen are great, Goodyear is not bad, Cooper and a few others are ok...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco Man View Post
take the tires off and get a normal size

Size has nothing or very little to do with vibrations.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #45
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Looking for opinions:
1) what color should i paint the bumper once the fab work is finished?
2) should i remount the stinger that protects the auxiliary lighting or leave it off?
3) should i mount the lights to the bumper or should i mount them in/behind the grill?
1) blue didnt look bad. Black is always a way to go but heck try something new if you want.
2) Id put it back on. I have a stock bumper but when I get a tube bumper I want one that protects the most it can.
3) Behind the grill would be hella sick but lots of work it seems. Nothing wrong with putting it on the bumper though.
4) I WISH I COULD FREAKING WELD
Old 10-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #46
SanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSanClemTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
How many miles are on the truck? Wouldn't hurt to inspect the driveline for loose bolts, dents, anything abnormal.... could be the carrier bearing, but my best guess would be the tires themselves are causing the vibrations. I work at Discount Tire and cringe anytime someone wants to buy ProComp tires becasue THEY SUCK! lol There are a few brands of tires that customers request that when we install, we KNOW they'll be back in a few weeks complaining about vibrations on the highway. It could be the wheels as well.... Toyotas and aftermarket wheels don't go together very well... :\ I would try replacing the tires first, however, since it looks like they need replacing kinda soon anyway. BFG and Michilen are great, Goodyear is not bad, Cooper and a few others are ok...
Its got 155000 on the odometer, I was thinking about changing the carrier bearing and ujoints (all) for good measure
And yeah I need new tires in about 3-6 months they will be unsafe to drive on
Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #47

Update:
Few pictures of the completed bumper and light arrangement

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #48

new parking arrangements
not sure i like them
Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #50

Looking for peoples opinions, i need to order new tires and was wondering between the bfg all terrain and falken wild peak which one you would choose. the conundrum is that i was quoted 325 for the bfg and 235 for the falken out the door, and $350ish isnt nothing.

So...? which would other members get?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #51
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I would do the falcon ones if you do a lot of on road driving and little off road.

But if it were me where I go 4 wheeling every weekend. I would go with option C. Bfg mud terrains.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #52

changed my carrier bearing, hopefully it removes the lumpy feeling under my seat
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #53
toutenhoofd is on a distinguished road
Name: Nico
toutenhoofd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious what style Bushwacker fender flares you have because I love the look. Are those the Cut-Out style or the Pocket style?

I have a 1st Gen Double Cab running 285 75 r16s with a 2.5" OME suspension lift. I have minor rubbing up front on the control arms, which I can live with, but in the back, when off road, I get rubbing on the stock fender flares, which tears up the tires. I don't mind cutting away at the body -- that's what trucks are for, right? I don't see myself running 35s, but ample clearance with my 33s would be nice, or I could see going to 34s some day.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #54

Ill take some pics of the bottom of my flares so u can c how much I clearanced them. To answer your question the flares r the cut out bushwackers. However they've been trimmed on the bottom so the tire can tuck into them(which means the fender is cut significantly higher then the directions require for their installation.

I would get fiberglass if I was you. Only reason I used these flares is that they where on the truck so it was a "free" upgrade.

Hope that answered what you needed

Oh and wheel spacers can fix the rubbing, I use them for such a purpose until I can save for long travel
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #55

One thing I just thought of, measure the clearance between your cab and flares cause these might not fit cause the bedside is so short in front if the flare
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #56
toutenhoofd is on a distinguished road
Name: Nico
toutenhoofd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One thing I just thought of, measure the clearance between your cab and flares cause these might not fit cause the bedside is so short in front if the flare
Great point. I'll measure the distance between the back of the cab and the edge of my stock fenders and see if larger fenders would even fit. I'll also look into fiberglass fenders.

Thanks for the help. TacomaWould is such a great community.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #57

One other thing, u could (in theory) cut and pull your bedsides but (1) don't know if u like the look (2) might not be enough material to successfully make it happen
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #58

It's a terrible picture I know but stoked on getting these
(Ill fix the picture later today)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #59
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive Sean, excellent craftsmanship, to answer your quandary about the tires go with the BFGs, they are more expensive but you will be happier. If you don't mind siping, go with the Falkens.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #60

Prob shouldve updated this months ago, but got new tires (the falkens) cost of four falkens was same as three bfg's so couldnt pass up that deal

picked up a set of lift spindles from member on here (David)

finally have a good alingment and no more tires rubbing the frame, at least at ride height. Finally can u-turn without running over pedestrians on the sidewalk