1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RainesDeuce's 98 Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by RainesDeuce, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    RainesDeuce

RainesDeuce [OP] New Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4
    So I've had my taco for about 2 years now and It's awesome! Grew up with my dad having an old school T100 and have a few buddies with 1st gen Tacoma's. I don't believe that anything I'm going to show you guys is original, and I do want to thank everyone who I got the ideas from from this website, I do not know who I took what ideas from, I'm sorry, but Thanks to everyone in the forum as it's been an amazing amount of knowledge i've gathered from here.

Ok. Enough with the sweet, make me teary eyed, stuff.

98 tacoma,
    4x4
    206k miles (I bought it with about 187k)

I'm the 3rd owner, from carfax it says it was first a rental car for a year with 16k miles on it, the 2nd owner had it until 2 years ago and put the other ~170k.

Bought it for 7k and the interior is great, although i do need new seats just for the simple fact that they're uncomfortable.

So I don't have a lot of pictures from it being completely stock, but here is the first bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Decided to Plasti-Dip the front chrome pieces as well as sanding down the grill then going flat black since it was chipping, Also took off the ugly bug guard because it was old, flimsy and kept rubbing away on the hood so you can see a little bit of the sanding so i could get the rust spots out.

Next was fixing the rusty muffler, As you see it wasn't really working well anyway, and they had it going into an ugly dual exhaust which was blocking the way for my spare tire.
    [​IMG]

I was trying to find a way to do this as cheap as possible so I came up with a pretty cheap solution.
    [​IMG]
    Cut it off, (its not as loud an annoying as i thought, although I do need to get a proper exhaust system so I can start to keep some of that back pressure I'm losing)

Then I was ready to replace the headlights and parking lights.
    [​IMG]

I later decided to do something with this ugly scratched up bed.
    [​IMG]

Halfway thru the sanding
    [​IMG]

And then I got some of the Rustoleum spray in rattle can bed-liner, $8 per can, took about 4 cans to do the bed, so, cheaper than line-x and I think it turned out okay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that's pretty much it so far, going to do some of the gauge light mods here this weekend, hopefully then get some bilstein's in the front and back, and run from there!!

Any suggestions or criticism is very much welcome!

2. Mar 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    Your truck bed looks much much better, I did the same thing with mine when I first picked up my 99'

Products Discussed in

To Top