Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

joyotaco's build

Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Tenderfoot
joyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ken
joyotaco's Tacoma Gallery
joyotaco's build

For the longest time I've thought I wouldn't even bother with a build thread because I never really planned on doing much to the Tacoma. However, yesterday I looked at a picture of the truck when I first bought it and another of what it looks like today and decided my 100th post should be my truck's transformation over the past 4 months.

As of 11/21/12

The day we went to see the truck (7/28/12)

Got it home, took off the back ladder rack

Then the front ladder rack came off since I wasn't using it at all

Straightened out the bed:
Before

After. I also rubbed out the scratches, waxed the tailgate, and added some decals.

Added clear bumper signals. I also bought clear side markers but actually decided I didn't like them and stayed with the originals.

Got my mustang rims/tires. I've since sold these wheels. Some guy with a mustang offered me $180 more than I paid for them, so I couldn't pass that up. I'm back to the stock steelies...for now.

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Mr. Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: justin
Mr. Taco's Tacoma Gallery

nice truck man. its nice to see trucks that aren't 4x4. do you plan on lowering it or adding any engine upgrades?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Tenderfoot
joyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to beholdjoyotaco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Taco View Post
nice truck man. its nice to see trucks that aren't 4x4.
Thanks, I agree.
Quote:
do you plan on lowering it...
I've been thinking about replacing the leafs with a 4x4 pack. I've read that adds a 1-2" drop to the rear and since they're stiffer they're actually better for hauling. Win win in my case. I'm an aspiring member of the "budget build club" though, so time will tell if that ever gains traction. Plus, my next priority is sound insulation which will be $$$.
Quote:
...or adding any engine upgrades?
I haven't found any engine upgrades I'd like to try yet, but not opposed to the idea.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice taco. I love seeing these older trucks on the road.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Vibarama is on a distinguished road

Name: Lisa
Vibarama's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Ken, I like your truck! Nice to see another 98, I just got one a few months ago and love it.
I really like your (ex) Mustang Wheels too, and I wonder what year mustang wheels will work for a 98? That would be fun to look for.

My truck is a 2WD as well, but it is a V6 Xtra Cab, so not sure if that makes a difference for Rim/ tire sizes.
Im having a lot of trouble finding rims I like that have the correct bolt pattern and especially offset, and people selling rims dont usually know
These things!

Anyway good luck with your ride

Lisa
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Tenderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibarama View Post
Hi Ken, I like your truck! Nice to see another 98, I just got one a few months ago and love it.
I really like your (ex) Mustang Wheels too, and I wonder what year mustang wheels will work for a 98? That would be fun to look for.

My truck is a 2WD as well, but it is a V6 Xtra Cab, so not sure if that makes a difference for Rim/ tire sizes.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding rims I like that have the correct bolt pattern and especially offset, and people selling rims dont usually know
These things!

Anyway good luck with your ride

Lisa
Thanks for the compliments. I kinda miss the old pony wheels, but I couldn't pass up the $$ offer I got for them.

You're absolutely right about how tough it is to find a set of wheels for this truck. I've been in the same boat since last summer. Another thing that's tough about them is finding a wheel where the lug caps cover the truck's hub dust cap. That was one of the things that drew me to a Mustang wheel. Their lug wells are deep, so they covered the dust cap no problem.

Anyway, pretty much any 94 and newer mustang wheel will work to some degree, it's the tire size you'll need to consider when buying a set. All mustang wheels since 94 have been 5x114.3 (4.5") lug patterns with a hub bore larger than the Tacomas, so they'll bolt right up. Plus the offset generally works well for our trucks.

My personal favorite look is the machined 5 spoke off a 2000-2001 Mustang. The wheel is a 16x7, with about a +20mm offset. The wheels are pretty much flush with the body and with a 225/55r16 or a 215/60r16 tire they're almost the perfect size for our trucks. No rubbing.

The wheels I had were 17x8s and the offset was +45mm. So the interior of the rim tucked in more than the 16x7s, but because they're wider wheels, they were still flush with the body. The stock tire size that came with those wheels were too big IMO and they'll rub the stabilizer bar. My wheels had a 225/55r17 tire. I would recommend a 225/50R17 if you go with a set of 17x8s from the modern retro-stangs or the 2000-2004 Cobra or GT wheels. They'll be less likely to rub, but it's a squeeze.

Thanks again, and good luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
ohcray is on a distinguished road
ohcray's Tacoma Gallery
Love the Toy Yoda decal. Where did you get that?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Tenderfoot

Thanks, found it on eBay.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Found some Mustang wheels!

Hi
Just wanted to let you know I found some Mustang Wheels just like in your photo and hoping they look good in person so I can get them.
Thanks
Lisa
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Tenderfoot

Sweet, post some pics if/when you get them. I'd love to see 'em.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

Hi Ken,
I got them and they rock!
I posted a pic in the member gallery under my username, Vibarama. hope you can see it there.
I dont know how to post a photo here(?) I wish it would let me post a pic!

Anyway thanks a million because they look great. according to the seller, they came off a 2002 stock Mustang V6, they are 16 x 7 and he sold them mounted on Yokohama AS460 tires 225/55/R16. the rims are near perfect and the tires are pretty good too, he said there was about 18 k miles on them. i thought might not like the 55 mm but it looks fine.

Best of all, I paid $200 for all 4. crazy good deal, I think.

Now I can put ads for all the rims and tires I'm not gonna use, I was starting to think I would have to open a rim shop