Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Evolution of MUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
mossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
mossytaco's Tacoma Gallery
The Evolution of MUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Musher will be getting a big makeover for the next month so I figured I'd start me a build thread finally lol. I'll post up some of the original pics I have of her.
Here are specs when I bought her.
1999 toyota tacoma standard cab 4x4
200,000 mile
3rz 4cylinder, 5spd, 5.29 gears.
6" Fabtech lift, 15x10 black steelies and some wore out 33x15.50 swampers.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
mossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of lightmossytaco is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah it would be nice to get more people out wheeling instead of just talking about it. Doesnt matter to me either way. Im building my truck to wheel. Hopefully we can get more people out soon even if it is for meet and greets. Look out for meetings at like Buffalo wild wings or hooters coming up after I get musher back on the road. Anyway enough on that. Here are a few more pictures I have of a few things I have added along the way and I will take more pictures as I make progress here in the next few weeks.
When I got Musher it had 33" tires that looked kinda small for the lift it had so I bought used 35" Cooper STTs off Craigslist to see how they fit.

Next I painted my grill black because it looked kinda rough so figured painting it black would be cheaper than buying a new one lol and while I was at it I removed my front bumper trying to motivate me to get a after market bumper built but just havent had the time or extra cash to move forward.

next I had to replace the used tires I had bought so I stuck with the good ole Cooper STTs because they are one awesome tire and priced very well.

Next up was something really small but kinda liked the idea. My wife likes naming all our cars so she came up with MUSHER for my tacoma so this was my next mod lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

I started getting parts in this week but didnt get started on musher yet. My detroit should be here tomorrow I got a big box from allpro and smitty built yesterday. Heres a little eye candy for everyone lol.

Some eye candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I finally officially got started on my project today. Got all the rear suspension buttoned up minus getting the new shock mounts welded to the axle. Heres a few pictures of my new allpro setup. 5" lift springs, 1.5" grease able shackles ubolt flip kit with tembrin bumpstops.
Out with the old and broke springs.

And in with the new!!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Started on my locker install this morning since the weather was good. I received my master install kit and detroit locker last week so I've been itching to get it installed. I pulled my rear axle shafts this morning and rear third to have everything checked out since I suspect I have a bent axle shaft. So I dropped everything off at a local shop in Winchester to have both axles checked and my locker installed.
Heres the axles pulled out and ready for inspection.

Third just waiting for the Detroit!!

Empty axle housing!

Well made a little progress over the weekend finally. Got the rear diff back Wednesday night but it was missing a few ring gear bolts. So after pulling a few teeth I finally got the bolts ordered and received them Saturday but Saturday was the wifes birthday so worky on truck lol. Started on it today by lock titing the bolts in and torqueing them down. Got the rear end out together, fluid added and brakes bled. Took a small test run and rides great. Also ordered a battery box from Ballistic Fab, a snorkel in a group buy and debating on a little tire upgrade for something a little more aggressive but not decided yet. Heres a few pictures I took and remembered to take lol.
Heres a picture of the battery box.Got to get it powder coated and pick up a new battery before installing.

Heres a few pictures of how MUSHER sits with her new springs and shackles installed. It was almost dark so pics suck.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Well I have been pretty busy lately but have made a little progress on musher. Right now just kinda a waiting game on getting the bumpers and sliders done. He's supppose to start on it in a week or so. Last weekend I received the snorkel I had ordered in a group buy so here's a couple pictures of it installed. I always get in a hurry and never get any pictures of the install in progress lol.

Then yesterday while the weather was good outside since I don't have a garage to work in yet I cut my bed sides off for the high clearnace bumper I'm gonna have him build for me. I also went to tractor supply and picked up the D-ring shackles. Heres a couple pictures of how much bedside I cut off and how it turned out.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

So while I've been working on MUSHER and adding stuff I thought it might be a good time to upgrade my battery to match the battery box since I'm adding a winch, lights and a few other things. So while I was looking into batteries like the optima and others a buddy of mine had done some extensive research into batteries and he recommended the diehard Platinum being better than the optima. So yesterday I picked up a diehard platinum to match the box I ordered.

Well I am getting very close on getting musher done or close to being done. Taking it Sunday for the guy to keep it for the week custom making my bumpers and sliders. Other than that I've got to change the oil pan gasket and header. I received my led light bar for my front bumper today from Trailworthy Fab. I think it will look really good sitting on the bumper with the winch.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Didnt get much of anything done yesterday because our baby sitter was sick so I got stuck being baby sitter for the day with Rayna having to work. I did however get my winch out of the box and get it put together so I can take it with musher this weekend to have bumpers made. Gonna take him the winch too so he can make a mount for it to be mounted to.

Well not alot been going on here. Musher has been at a local shop since last Sunday having bumpers and sliders custom made. So its been slow going but I did get a sneak peek of how the rear bumper is looking so far. So figured I would share it.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #8

Well I've got some updates for you guys I finally got musher back last Thursday and was very pleased with the outcome of the bumpers and sliders but i've been busy so hadnt had time to post any new pics yet so heres some pics of the bumpers the night I got them and some of them as I'm painting them this week. I finished painting everything today but didn't get new pics. So here what I got.
New bare metal.

And a few with paint in progress and finally decided where to mount my license plate.

Well finished up painting everything yesterday and got both bumpers secured good. Today I got the winch, led light bar mounted and and the diamond plate top plate mounted up. Got the wires plumbed but dont have any switches yet to hook everything up. Did replace my factory front turn signals with some new led lights and got them mounted. Heres a few pics.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alove0750 View Post
Very clean build! How does it do off-road now that your locked?
Thanks man. Not sure yet because I've not had it out yet. Jan 5th will be its shake down run. Its only locked in the rear for now because I didnt want to waste money on a front ifs locker since I'm gonna sas it next winter with a custom diamond front axle.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
You've got one sexy garage. Truck aint half bad either
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
You've got one sexy garage. Truck aint half bad either
Lmao thanks man but that was the guys garage that I bought the truck off of. He had sent me that picture before I went to look at the truck.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #13

Well not alot been going on lately with the holidays and all that crap going on but I did decide I didn't like the way the front end was setting but didn't want to drop alot of money into it since I'm planning to SAS it next winter. So I remembered Matt had added heavier coils to his front lift when he did his fabtech lift. So I found a used set cheap and installed them this week. Heres a couple pics after the install. Only a few things left to do and then gather the rest of the parts over the summer for the SAS.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
nice sliders too
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alove0750 View Post
I like!
Thank you.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
nice sliders too
Thanks. He custom made those when he did my bumpers. All his design.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
OK, that thing is sexy. Gonna be sweet with a solid axle! Seeing all these rigs getting them makes me want one even more! Some day...
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #19

Well not a lot going on here. Had some wheel bearing issues so I'm through with ifs. Solid axle swap to start very soon. Watch for progress.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #20

The Evolution of MUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374074885.468995.jpg
The Evolution of MUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374074899.185302.jpg
The Evolution of MUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374074923.106427.jpg
The Evolution of MUSHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374074948.131013.jpg

A little progress with the sas. I'll post up more details when I get a chance.