Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

TacoSkeet's 03 DC

Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #41
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FramerKat View Post
Your wheels are one of the first I saw in that color...and made me think I'll do the same with mine. I picked up the Duplicolor brand graphite color wheel spray paint at Advance Auto Parts along with the Duplicolor brand clear coat. Not sure if I'll need to sand or use self etching primer or not...my wheels seem to have no finish at all right now...thus my problem getting and keeping them clean. I'm not sure if you were the one who did it, but I saw someone use a set of cards to mask off the tire from the rim...good idea and I think I'll use an old set of playing cards to do the same
oh yeah, I've always masked off with a deck of cards. Glad you liked the color, post up some pics. Graphite really makes the stock rims POP!

Since our rims are aluminum, (I think) I would definitely use some self etching. The self etching primer is designed to adhere to aluminum better than any other primer
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
Those look sick! You did a really good job- I can tell ya I couldn't have made them look that good! They still holding up well for you?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #43
FramerKat will become famous soon enough

Name: kAt
FramerKat's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips! Going to pick up spark plugs that they ordered for me and I'll get the self etching primer then if they have it. Might start on the rims today because the weather is nice and humidity is low.

Another question...did you paint the rims on the truck or off? I'm going to have to paint them on it, so will need to figure out the best way to do the center caps and mask off the lug nuts (I like the look of the chrome of yours on the graphite rims).
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #44
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
How do you like your wet okole's? I'm wanting the exact same ones you have.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #45
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
Those look sick! You did a really good job- I can tell ya I couldn't have made them look that good! They still holding up well for you?
Thanks! I really appreciate it. After about 6 months without any chips, I just touched them up yesterday with a little graphite and clear coat to clean them up a bit, and since I got new tires the weights were still bare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramerKat View Post
Thanks for the tips! Going to pick up spark plugs that they ordered for me and I'll get the self etching primer then if they have it. Might start on the rims today because the weather is nice and humidity is low.

Another question...did you paint the rims on the truck or off? I'm going to have to paint them on it, so will need to figure out the best way to do the center caps and mask off the lug nuts (I like the look of the chrome of yours on the graphite rims).
I took my rims off the first time so it would dry a little more evenly, but when I touch them up I just mask off with cards and paint away. I would just pop off the center caps, throw some tape on the lugs and go to town. Good luck! Let me know if you have any problems and post pics when your done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
How do you like your wet okole's? I'm wanting the exact same ones you have.
They still look as new as the day I got them. They are taupe with half piping and then "TRD off road" logo.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #46
'MERICA

Update from this past weekend.
-Changed spark plugs
-Fixed engine bay light
-Changed diff oil (Mobil 1 synthetic)
-New PCV valve
-Added a license plate mount

Old vs. New spark plugs

I bought a slightly tinted license plate mount from autozone and ordered 2 LED motorcycle license plate lights and added them so I would be legal.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #47
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
They still look as new as the day I got them. They are taupe with half piping and then "TRD off road" logo.
Were they worth it in your opinion? How close does the color match the interior? And when you ordered them did you select bucket seats as your front seats?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #48
'MERICA

Quote:
Were they worth it in your opinion? How close does the color match the interior? And when you ordered them did you select bucket seats as your front seats?
Yeah definitely worth it IMO, my factory seats had some stains on them as well but as far as comfort and durability, they are great. The taupe color matches my tan interior almost exactly. And yeah I ordered bucket seats
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #49

Quote:
Yeah definitely worth it IMO, my factory seats had some stains on them as well but as far as comfort and durability, they are great. The taupe color matches my tan interior almost exactly. And yeah I ordered bucket seats
Awesome, thanks! I won't be getting any soon, but I know exactly what I'm getting now when the time comes!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
whenever you want to part with those wheels, let me know
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #51
'MERICA

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! I won't be getting any soon, but I know exactly what I'm getting now when the time comes!
Great, you will really like them! Glad I could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
whenever you want to part with those wheels, let me know
Just buy some stock 1st gen wheels and slap a good coat of paint on them! Anybody can do it! But in the case that I find some FJ Anthracites, I'll hit you up
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #52
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great, you will really like them! Glad I could help

Just buy some stock 1st gen wheels and slap a good coat of paint on them! Anybody can do it! But in the case that I find some FJ Anthracites, I'll hit you up
i'm rolling on stocks right now. probably getting new wheel and tire combo around the end of the year. might do that to them then and sell them
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #53
'MERICA

03.23.13 Update
-Did a little welding on my roof rack, added a couple more support beams
-Took off my bumper and welded in some gussets and redid the mounting with the stock brackets. Using the stock brackets vs the temporary brackets I had fab'd up make a world of a difference, so much sturdier.

Things are going pretty slow right now because of all the time I have to put into school and work. Still looking for parts for my 4wd conversion I'm planning on doing this summer and just tinkering on the weekends
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #54
DD03SR5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Derek
DD03SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great man, i love the double cab with the roof rack!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #55
'MERICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD03SR5 View Post
Truck looks great man, i love the double cab with the roof rack!
Thanks! I appreciate it. The roof rack really added another dimension to my truck
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
Shabutie is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
Shabutie's Tacoma Gallery
You still have that topper?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #57
vette6991 will become famous soon enough

vette6991's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #58
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
I love the roof rack. I am always on the search for a decent (usable) roof rack. Great build!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
'MERICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You still have that topper?
Sorry, I sold it a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
I love the roof rack. I am always on the search for a decent (usable) roof rack. Great build!
Thanks man, I'm about to post up some more pics of it that I took today. I tried my best to somewhat duplicate the Front Runner rails. It works great for what I need it for and it's super sturdy.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #60
vette6991 will become famous soon enough

vette6991's Tacoma Gallery
Just wondering how much does your back bumper weigh?