Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Seventh's 2001 4WD Reg Cab Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Seventh's 2001 4WD Reg Cab Build

Skip the nonsense, current pic:

Mod list:
Skyjacker 3" Full Suspension Lift
Skyjacker Shocks (Rear) KYB Gas Shocks (Front)
Eibach front springs w/Urethane spacers
33x10.5x16. Pro Comp X-Terrain Tires w/1.25" Spidertrax Anodized Spacers
Toytec Front Differential Drop
Westin Rollbar w/Rugged Ridge 15207 Off Road Lamps
Westin Side Nerf Bars
Go Rhino full front brush guard w/KC Daylighter HiLites
All Pro Differential Armor
All Pro welded on Transfer Case Armor
Westin Tail Light Guards
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Fabtech Bed-Mount Spare Tire carrier
Electric fans w/switch
Pinch weld mod
Trail Gear Rear Differential Creeper Breather
Transfer Case "scuba mod"
TRD leather shift knob + Blacked out center console
Kobalt bed-mounted diamond plate toolbox
Hi-Lift off road jack w/bed riser mounts
Curt Class 3 Hitch & D-Ring Shakle Receiver for Rear Recovery Point
Pro Net tailgate net (because the original gate fell off..)
Red LED Footwell Lighting
Kenwood DPX308U Double Din USB MP3/CD dash unit
Uniden CB + K40 Antenna, custom routed into dash (replacing the ashtray)
Rollbar mounted fire extinguisher
Ultragauge ODB-II Hardwired Scan tool/Info Center & Selectable Gauge Cluster
ExactFit black seat cover w/stiched in 12V seat heaters

Repairs & General Wrenching
Completely replaced rear differential
Yellowtop battery + anodized terminals, replaced power and ground leads
Replaced all head/tail lights with new OEMs
Replaced clutch pressure switch
Replaced emergency brake pressure switch
New alternator, belts and tensioner
New brake pads all around
Refurbished/repainted upper and lower control arms
Replaced HVAC controls so the heat wasn't stuck on...
Replaced exhaust from the intermediate pipe back w/black hi-temp OEM
Replaced catalytic converter + front and rear bank O2 sensors
Factory recall frame replacement
Undercoated the whole truck

I picked it just after Thanksgiving with 180k miles and a mangled rear differential, looking like this. It also stank to high heaven like cigarettes inside, so it was a frosty cold ride home.

The first thing I did, since it was falling off, was get rid of the tailgate. I've always liked these, but eventually plan to find a new gate for it. It certainly makes things easier to see backing up.

Then I put on some Nerf bars for the time being, until I find some sliders. Oh, I replaced the rear differential too, but it makes for boring pictures.

And a light bar, because I love the Back to the Future look.

And since I had a light bar, I added some lights. Rugged Ridge 15207s.

A few days later, I was out playing in the snow:

When this hilarious looking box showed up.

Along with all new lights, since the old ones looked like this. This was not only a neglected truck, but it was a beach truck, so pretty much every bolt on the thing is rusted to hell. I'm hell bent on bringing it back to life though, and with enough WD-40 and some elbow grease, I dare say I'm making progress.

Anyway, I had all that crap laying around my living room, so I figured I'd put it on.

While I was at it, since the stock stereo was a tape deck and nothing else (and I loaned out all of my Skid Row cassettes in high school), I put in something that I could hook my iPod up to, along with some footwell lights that are nowhere near as bright as they look in this picture. My daily driver is an e92 BMW, and it has stock footwell lights. Once you have them, and realize how handy they are at night when you drop stuff, you'll always want them.

Then it snowed some more and I threw some lights on the brush guard. Just some cheap Autozone jobs, since they'll be replaced with a winch in the spring anyway. They throw a decent amount of light, considering they were $40.

Then I went offroad a bit.

Anyhow, since I was already bolting every sub-$500 aftermarket thing onto this poor truck, I figured I'd add some taillight guards.

This was shortly after going offroad for the first time, and neither my buddy or I had CB radios. So with a little help from Mr. Dremel, I replaced the previous owner's beloved and well-used ashtray with this CB.

And a Proclip mount for my phone, which made the interior look a tad more modern, and prevents the phone from flying out of the cupholder in the woods.

Since I had the CB, I needed an antenna, so I put this Firestik on.

Then I did the most important "mod" to this truck that I could possibly do. I bought a power steamer, and with the help of my brother here:

And myself here:

Plus some elbow grease here:

We put about 3 hours into getting the bloody awful cigarette stench out of it. It worked brilliantly too, because it looks and (more importantly) smells like a brand new truck inside now.

A little while after that, I put in a 3" lift. KYB struts + springs in the front, Skyjacker shocks/shackles in the rear along with all the bump stops/bushings/etc, with a Toytec diff drop. As it turns out I got a little over 4" of lift out of it (which I assume is from replacing all my old worn springs and such) but I think it'll settle a bit.

Then I tossed a Fabtech spare holder in the bed. Holy shit was my spare filthy.

I wire wheeled and Rustoleum'd those tired looking UCAs too.

Then after searching around for ages for a good bed storage solution that'd fit my lightbar and kickers, I scored this trailer tongue box on clearance at Lowe's for $30. Fits perfectly too, score!

Tires next, 33x10.5 Pro Comp Xtreme ATs.

That's it for now. The next "mod" is to replace the O2 sensors and the exhaust from the cat back, and more un-fun stuff like brake pads and valve cover gaskets. It's getting there though, not bad for almost 200k miles - especially considering the previous owner took abysmal care of it.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good man! I have some dirty ass seats myself, what all did you do to your seats and what was the total costs?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Truck looks good man! I have some dirty ass seats myself, what all did you do to your seats and what was the total costs?
I'm still looking for the right set of buckets for it. The bench is comfy and all but I really need a center console, especially with my truck being a regular cab. I did clean them up a TON though. This is the power steamer that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-915-500.../dp/B003PGQI3Y

The thing is flippin' fantastic. I put maybe 4-5 hours over two days into steaming everything, and the seats were obviously the worst. Steam + a bunch of clean towels then just more steam (lather, rinse, repeat) and after drying for a couple of days it was 1000% better. There's nothing worse than driving around in someone else's nasty ass filth, ya know?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
The parts fairy dropped off some more goodies today.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't your new tires Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's not M/T?

Regardless, great looking reg cab! (Kinda impartial)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GREENTACO View Post

They certainly are ATs, thanks! For some reason, my mind says AT but my fingers type MT every time. I've no idea why. Next time I'll just buy the MTs and stop having to correct myself.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
And while I'm updating this, not much new other than the ol' flashlight on the shifter mod:

However I did pick up a set of black Bushwacker cut-offs today.

But it's snowing it's ass off outside and I don't have a garage ( ) so it'll be a bit before I get them on.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
They certainly are ATs, thanks! For some reason, my mind says AT but my fingers type MT every time. I've no idea why. Next time I'll just buy the MTs and stop having to correct myself.
I know the feeling. I always make typos, my fingers get a little ahead (or behind) of my brain. I do love those Xtreme A/T's though. How's the road noise with them?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know the feeling. I always make typos, my fingers get a little ahead (or behind) of my brain. I do love those Xtreme A/T's though. How's the road noise with them?
They are surprisingly quiet. I was prepared for it to be obnoxious on the highway (this isn't my DD) but I am pleasantly surprised at how quiet they are, especially considering they were only around $225 per tire. There's a little drone of course, but I don't even really notice it.

I had a truck with Thornbirds on it way back in the day, and my goodness they were loud. I had to try to match my speed to whatever I was listening to on the radio to try to get the tire howl in the same key as the song, and couldn't hear myself think on the highway. These are nothing like that, I like 'em a bunch. (I'll also never run bias ply anything ever again..)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man. I love your truck. Looks great. How much was the grill guard? Where in mass do you live. I'm right outside boston in Roslindale. Im picking up my silver 04 access cab tmw and cant wait. Im gonna lift it 2 inch and put bfg ats. You should talk over at the new england bs thread. We wheel alot in nh and ri/ct line. You should come some time.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
MMumau is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airman
Name: Matt
MMumau's Tacoma Gallery
Wonderful build, any tips on the dremel work for the CB? I would like to do the same, what cb is that?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
How much was that light bar? I want one like that.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck! Im digging the light bar, back to the future style. Your from boston, where do you go wheeling? I'm from cape cod and i stay in salem for school.. i haven't been able to find any places that are close
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
^ I go up north on the NH Class VIs. Nothing really near me in MA (I actually live a bit north of Boston) but NH has all sorts of spots that are legal.

I did a few things recently. Installed those Bushwackers:

Replaced my climate controls so my heat wasn't stuck on, and recharged the AC:

New exhaust:

And put on a Class 3 hitch (the Curt model from Amazon, fit up pretty nicely too) for a rear recovery point.

Just scored an OEM wheel for $50 off of eBay and ordered another 33" too, so I'll finally have a fullsize spare, and can get rid of that nasty ass old one.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wonderful build, any tips on the dremel work for the CB? I would like to do the same, what cb is that?
It's a Uniden 505XL. $37 on Amazon and works great. The dremel work isn't too tough - most of the trimming (once you cut the back of the ashtray mount out) was on the passenger side.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
How much was that light bar? I want one like that.
$550 for everything (you buy it in two pieces, the main bar, the kickers and the light bar. The light bar is great - it's slotted for 4 lights and has a channel on the underside for the wiring.

Quote:
How much was the grill guard?
$500. It's the Westin Sportsman. I wish it was a full bumper but funds didn't allow it. Thing was a piece of cake to install, just a few bolts and 20 minutes in the driveway. It's this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Finshed up the BW install. Took a damn long time but the weather cooperated and it looks pretty spiffy, if I do say so.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #17

Those look awesome!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your tires are actually Pro comp Xterrains, and they are a mud tire. A very good tire also. Lots of rock crawlers use them.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
This is the part where I try not to feel like an asshole for not knowing what tires are on my truck, haha.

When I got them, I was on a pretty tight budget, so it was mostly "What are the coolest looking non-bias-ply tires that I can get for around $200 each". Dude at the shop pointed at a set that was hanging on the wall and I said "Sure!".

It worked out pretty well, I really like them. Quiet enough on the road and so far they've been great in the dirt and the mud.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Well technically you were right to begin with so dont sweat it. They are a pretty awsome tire, truck looks great man.

Products Discussed in this Thread