Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

TomTom's '03 TRD Xtra Cab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpers!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
With the help of WhiteToyTaco, got the front one mounted. Dropped the front end with the OME 881s close to an inch.

The rear was a bit easier:

Silas (Slodgetto) drilled the holes for the license plate. Using these little guys to light up the license plate:

Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #23

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Couple weeks back, I decided I didn't do enough off-roading to justify the on-road performance of the KM2s. So I hit up Slodgetto for a set of new shoes:

Went back to the BFG ATs but in a 285/75. Way happier with the on-road ride quality. Definitely handle wet pavement a bit better. After off-roading last weekend, I have all the mud marks to tell me where to trim.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I could get me some Elite bumpers like that. Great looking truck!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #25

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! The bumpers blew my upgrade budget for the year. Luckily Jan 1st showed up pretty quick. The next big mod is to regear and put in a front locker. Not sure I'm getting to that this year but going to try.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just got a factory TRD locker in mine and I love it! Debating on getting a front air locker and regearing to 4:56 but still indecisive.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck! How was the clutch install? Did you do it yourself? Did you require specific STT's?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #29

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I did the clutch on my old XJ and once in a lifetime was enough for me. Had a garage do it on this go 'round. I'd suggest going with a Toyota or Marlin Crawler supplied flywheel. Not sure where the garage got the replacement but I'm pretty sure a couple teeth are hosed. The starter slips evey now and again. Tried replacing the starter and still does it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Couple weeks back, I decided I didn't do enough off-roading to justify the on-road performance of the KM2s. So I hit up Slodgetto for a set of new shoes:

Went back to the BFG ATs but in a 285/75. Way happier with the on-road ride quality. Definitely handle wet pavement a bit better. After off-roading last weekend, I have all the mud marks to tell me where to trim.
You know what? I think a lot of people under-estimate these tires just because they are ATs. Sure they aren't great in the mud but down there in NM you'll have similar terrain that we do here in Utah that mostly dry. I have had 3 sets of BFG ATs and they've been awesome. Like you said, great on the road, and suprisingly good off road.

I still run them on my wife's Land Cruiser.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Truth ^^^
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #32

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
Mmmm Elite bumpers!

Looking great tomtom! Cant wait to see it in person at the next meet.
Thanks, man! Been digging through your build plenty to get ideas. Really thought about Duratracs because of your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GREENTACO View Post
I just got a factory TRD locker in mine and I love it! Debating on getting a front air locker and regearing to 4:56 but still indecisive.
I'm looking at re-gearing to 4.56 to get back to factory RPMs. Thinking I might as well get a 2-fer on the labor charges and do a locker as well. The TRD rear-locker is quite capable so not a total must have mod. If you are considering 285s down the road, a re-gear and front locker would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
You know what? I think a lot of people under-estimate these tires just because they are ATs. Sure they aren't great in the mud but down there in NM you'll have similar terrain that we do here in Utah that mostly dry. I have had 3 sets of BFG ATs and they've been awesome. Like you said, great on the road, and suprisingly good off road.
I got my first set over 15 years ago when I was living in Tucson. Used to go out to Chiva Falls, Charleau gap and a bunch of other places. They aren't perfect but adding an LSD or locker to the mix and they'll keep you moving. My solution for mud is avoiding it at all costs. The desert has spoiled me.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great. How are you liking the dakars? I can't decided between those and the wheelers 5 leaf pack. Did you get axle shims with yours?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #34

Yeah, I have a buddy doing a SAS soon and he offered me his front diff already set up with 4:56's so all I would have to do is swap out the rear diff gears, not too big a deal. Eventually I would like to step up to 285's or something comparable but the two sets of tires I have now would have to wear down first.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #35

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
Truck looks great. How are you liking the dakars? I can't decided between those and the wheelers 5 leaf pack. Did you get axle shims with yours?
Thanks! No axle shims. The Dakars work fine. I don't have anything to compare them to other than stock and my old XJ. Throw some weight in the bed and they behave nicely. Right now I have the spare and the hilift back there. Considering the OME aal but waiting to see if I ever actually carry enough weight back there to need it.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #36

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at mounting the spare in the bed. I've thought about a Tiregate but I'd like to be able to put the tonneau cover back on as needed. I've got one of these:

Thinking the best way is to mount the baseplate to the spare tire hoist bracket. Puts the spare off center in the bed but the baseplate will be on something that can easily take the load.

The other option I was thinking was mounting d-rings in the corners of the floor of the bed and using ratchet straps.

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Just cut some big backing plates to put under the bed floor and mount that thing wherever it fits best. Its not like you need to really crank it down to keep the tire in place. I'd get it centered or wherever you want it and snug it down and call it good.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #38

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
sounds good. I be doing some drillin' this weekend. Pictures may or may not be forthcoming depending on the amount of bloodletting going on.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
Iceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
Iceman2448's Tacoma Gallery
looking good keep up the good work

Products Discussed in this Thread