Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

TomTom's '03 TRD Xtra Cab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #741
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
If they work out well you should cut an extra set so I can buy them from you....
That would mean less money going towards a Magnaflow.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #742
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
That would mean less money going towards a Magnaflow.
Right now there is NO money going towards anything that costs that much haha
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #743
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #744
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Mr Tom: didn't want to entirely take over the daily thread so I figured id pick your brain here...

Marlin kit is ordered, which does come with pilot and TOB. I decided to stick with tgp flywheel. So the question now is - do I just order a new one? Get the existing one machined? Not entirely sure how involved of a process that aspect of things is...
Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #745
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends.

Some things to consider:
1. I bought mine through Camelback Toyota at about $360. Full retail is around $480.
2. Machining should run between $40-80 and should be same day turnaround. Note, I put a bunch of "shoulds" in there.
3. You have to wait until the machine shop looks at it to know if it is machinable.
4. A friend works as a Toyota instructor and he swears that the TGP flywheels should last the life of the vehicle. He has never seen me drive.
5. Whether you remove the flywheel to replace or re-use you should replace the flywheel bolts and make sure to run red loctite all the way around several threads on each bolt when you do that.
6. I'd have to check the paperwork but I don't think Camelback had the flywheel in stock so there was a 2 day delay while they got it ordered in.

For me, it comes down to wallet vs. down time. My truck is my daily driver and my job compensates me decently so I lean more towards getting the job done right but quickly. I had no issue in buying a TGP CV axle when I had to reboot the old ones. I slammed the new CV axle in the driver side then took my time rebooting the old one then did the other side.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #746
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Very helpful - thank you!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #747

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
And, you'll likely want to get a puller for the pilot bearing. There is the grease method but it is a bit messy and time consuming.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #748
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For me, it comes down to wallet vs. down time. My truck is my daily driver and my job compensates me decently so I lean more towards getting the job done right but quickly. I had no issue in buying a TGP CV axle when I had to reboot the old ones. I slammed the new CV axle in the driver side then took my time rebooting the old one then did the other side.
did you use the toyota replacement boots? i used the generic ones from autozone and they dont fit great around the tulip housing. had to massage the clamps to get a good fit. Good for a trail spare but certainly wouldnt run it as a long term solution.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #749
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And, you'll likely want to get a puller for the pilot bearing. There is the grease method but it is a bit messy and time consuming.
Yeah that was a bitch. We welded something to it to pull it. The grease/wadding method looks easier since it took us about a 45 mins to get the damn thing out.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #750

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
did you use the toyota replacement boots? i used the generic ones from autozone and they dont fit great around the tulip housing. had to massage the clamps to get a good fit. Good for a trail spare but certainly wouldnt run it as a long term solution.
Yeah, bought the kits from Camelback. Ran about $30/kit. After seeing the quality of TGP, I tend not to mess around unless I hear of something that is purpose built better (like Bamatoy's Alternator kit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Yeah that was a bitch. We welded something to it to pull it. The grease/wadding method looks easier since it took us about a 45 mins to get the damn thing out.
I'm patient but not patient enough for the grease trick. It is handy to know in a pinch but I'll be researching pullers for the time I have to do the clutch again.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #751
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah, bought the kits from Camelback. Ran about $30/kit. After seeing the quality of TGP, I tend not to mess around unless I hear of something that is purpose built better (like Bamatoy's Alternator kit)

I'm patient but not patient enough for the grease trick. It is handy to know in a pinch but I'll be researching pullers for the time I have to do the clutch again.
Ok thanks. ill have another inner boot to do in the future and will go that route instead. Seems to be same price as autoparts store too. Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #752

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok thanks. ill have another inner boot to do in the future and will go that route instead. Seems to be same price as autoparts store too. Thanks
Camelback throws in free shipping for orders over $150 so you may want to save up a big order. Otherwise, shipping will tack on another $15 (roughly).
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #753
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Camelback throws in free shipping for orders over $150 so you may want to save up a big order. Otherwise, shipping will tack on another $15 (roughly).
Yeah i just got some balljoints through them and noticed the free shipping. Heck im sure i could find other shit my truck needs......
Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #754

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah i just got some balljoints through them and noticed the free shipping. Heck im sure i could find other shit my truck needs......

or even just wants.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #755
Only women shave beneath the neck.
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Man, that is a damn good looking truck! Makes me miss my '02 Goldie. But I guess I'm pretty happy with my black '03. BTW, I am stealing your spare tire mount idea! Great idea!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #756
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
or even just wants.
Pretty sure those come from other places
Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #757

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribull View Post
Man, that is a damn good looking truck! Makes me miss my '02 Goldie. But I guess I'm pretty happy with my black '03. BTW, I am stealing your spare tire mount idea! Great idea!
Thanks for the compliment.

Took me quite a bit of courage to finally drill the hole for the spare tire mount. Worked out well and plenty of room to go to a 35.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #758

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
For those asking about OME 882s, this was ride height of 882s with Dakars (no AAL).

Please note, the pavement has a slight rise to it and the truck has an ARE tonneau cover on the back.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #759

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Some more of America going on my truck:

Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #760

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Snapped a picture of the new thimble and Crosby d-rings installed.

'Murica!

Products Discussed in this Thread