Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

IronCladTRD's Chuckwagon build

Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
IronCladTRD's Chuckwagon build

Figured I'd start a build page while I can remember what all has happened to the truck. Here's the story

Most current picture 10/19/2013

Mod List
Suspension/Wheels n Tires
Front: Bilstein 5100's paired with Eibach coil springs.
1/4" spacer on driver's side to remedy "Taco Lean"
1" differential drop
Rear: Bilstein 5150's paired with All-Pro Expedition Leaf springs
15x10 Ultra Rogue rims
33x10.5r15 BFG T/A KO's
Armor
Elite Offroad Front Bumper with Smittybilt XRC8 winch (More on that later)
Elite Offroad Sliders pc'd to match bumper
4xinnovations class 3 hitch rear bumper with swingout tire carrier
Lighting
PIAA fog lights
Pair of Epistar 6" spotlights
Interior
Grenade shift knob
Weathertech floor mats
LED replacements for dome and map lights (very bright)
Midland 1001z CB radio with K30 mag mount antenna

Remove gay cupholder afterthought behind passenger seat
Performance
Deckplate mod
Diff breather extension
Cosmetic
Debadged
Manzanita influenced pinstripes
Miscellaneous
Century T-class camper shell
Custom fabbed "half" bed rack
Train Horn/Onboard air
Smittybilt Winch accessory kit & Harbor Freight "Farm Jack"

To Do
Skid plates (Front, Transmission, T-case)
Get a full size spare
Rear floor mats
U-bolt flip kit and shock mount relocation

If I win the lottery
Dual battery system
ARB refrigerator
Cab roof rack
Solar panels
Rhino line rocker panels
Snorkel
Regear

In 2003 my dad got a 4wd 2003 Extra Cab (standard transmission) as a work truck. His eventual plan was for me to get it when I obtained my license. This is the earliest picture I could find of the truck.

I got a hold of the truck, and my first few mods came in quick succession as I had saved up a lot of money in anticipation. The first mod that I did is the one I'm least proud of. I put in a train horn This was before I had discovered TW (I'm innocent, I swear!), and on the upside, I ended up having onboard air, so it's not all bad! Still use the thing from time to time, works well when people are tailgating, when I see some sweet babes and want to get their attention, or in parking garages if I want to be obnoxious and be heard from space

Had an old grenade sitting around that I had picked up at a surplus store so I got it tapped (in the most non-sexual way possible). It fits my hand MUCH better than that stock shifter. In addition, I purchased some Weather tech floor mats. GREAT mod, I would recommend it to anyone.

I continued by purchasing a new Century T-Class camper shell with a carpeted interior lining and sliding front window. To date probably one of the best mods I've done. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten opening side windows.

Also got an Elite front bumper.

Eventually, I discovered Tacomaworld and had to get a lift kit. Did it right with Bilstein 5100's and Eibach's in the front, with 5150's and All-Pro expo's in the back. Took it out for a little test not long after...

After saving up more money I bought Elite offroad rock sliders and a Smittybilt XRC8 winch. Winch install was a PITA. Ended up removing and replacing the bumper around 5 times to date. As of Fall 2013 it's on it's 3rd solenoid, and the warranty has expired, so I've got my fingers crossed that it will work (Solenoid relocation pics on page 2) Anyways, took the cap off and did some wheeling during the summer

Next big thing was new wheels and tires. Ended up with 15x10 Ultra Rogue rims wrapped in 33x10.5r15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains. Love these tires. They perform excellently on and off road.

Fabbed up a removeable "half-rack" for my bed.

Latest addition is the rear tube bumper, next on the list is either a full size spare or a nice set of skids
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Wheeling pics
First wheeling trip, pre-lift

La Grange run

Summer 2012

Bald Mountain Fall 2012

Shooting trip January 2013

Went out to Hollister Hills on President's Day weekend

Had a great time for a couple hours! Then blew a tire off the beads on a nasty hill (offshoot of Fremontia road). Tried to get out of the rut, but with no tire there was no traction and it was pretty much impossible. Rocking back and forth on 2 wheels, girlfriend (who I had made get out at this point) was screaming at me to stop from outside. Think I could have made it if the tire hadn't blown. Started walking until we found someone. Got helped out by a guy named Adam in an orange 4Runner (not a Jeep! ) Thank God for that guy... Got the tire changed on the trail, and had to drive down the rest of the trail in the pitch dark. Tree reached out to say hello towards the end and got some serious carnage.

After getting unstuck

Damage assessment

Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Consistently Irregular
Still reserved for more stuff
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCladTRD View Post
Wheeling pics
First wheeling trip, pre-lift

I love this picture! Dude in the back seat is gripping hard. lol
You have a really nice tacoma! ILL be checking in on this thread often.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Consistently Irregular
Lol that's me in the driver's seat. I looked out the passenger window and all I saw was sky. Felt like I was about to roll or eff up the rocker panels! But thanks, you've got a nice clean truck yourself! Definitely keep checking, I'll throw up more pictures of wheeling and mods as I get them done. May be going down to Sedona to visit family over spring break, definitely gonna take the truck and do some wheeling if that materializes!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
01 5 speed
taco52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
taco52's Tacoma Gallery
subbing to this awesome build. Keep it up
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
ohcray is on a distinguished road
ohcray's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 04 in Lunar Mist (Silver), and it's great to finally see a build with something other than blacked-out or plasti-dipped everything. That Elite bumper looks awesome in gunmetal grey. And I'm diggin the camper... might have to save up for that.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco52 View Post
subbing to this awesome build. Keep it up
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcray View Post
I have an 04 in Lunar Mist (Silver), and it's great to finally see a build with something other than blacked-out or plasti-dipped everything. That Elite bumper looks awesome in gunmetal grey. And I'm diggin the camper... might have to save up for that.
Yeah, the shell rocks! I'm very happy with the way the color turned out on the bumper and sliders. Only downside is touching it up with spray paint doesn't blend well
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm subbing on this thread too.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet truck

Debating on a shell(your tall one looks nice), or a rack with rtt...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Consistently Irregular
Why not both? Tall shell is nice because it gives you more space, but I don't want to put a rack up there because it'd be too top heavy. If you had a shell the height if the cab you could put a rack and an rtt on it.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great! The "half" bed rack in the camper was a good idea!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
Truck looks great! The "half" bed rack in the camper was a good idea!
Thanks! It's nice to be able to sleep in there without having to worry about rolling over onto my duffel bag, ammo cans, tools, etc. And there's still plenty of room to move around
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Rhino is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Rhino's Tacoma Gallery
How do those 10.5 tires do on the 10 inch wide rims? ive always heard that would cause problems as far as getting flats etc
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
How do those 10.5 tires do on the 10 inch wide rims? ive always heard that would cause problems as far as getting flats etc
Not sure! I hadn't heard that, but I haven't had a flat yet! The BFG's are some pretty beefy tires...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
Consistently Irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
ah ok, they look good
Thanks! They're living up to my high expectations
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Consistently Irregular
Rough go of it yesterday at Hollister.