Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Squeaky Penguin's (not much of a) Build Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #221
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Nice pics! Looks like a lot of fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
I need to get back out and wheel with you guys. That looked like it was a fun trip.
It was nice to get back out wheeling again. First trip of the season and it was a good one! Still way too much snow around here.

Now I have to get this thing ready for Moab, don't know if I'll be able to finish everything I want to.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #222
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
My condolences Brett.

Your bumper sailed away in a Western Disposal truck, the other day.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #223
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
It was nice to get back out wheeling again. First trip of the season and it was a good one! Still way too much snow around here.

Now I have to get this thing ready for Moab, don't know if I'll be able to finish everything I want to.
That's exactly why I decided not to make the TW meet

Still planning to stop on the way out to CO a couple weeks later though
Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #224
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
My condolences Brett.

Your bumper sailed away in a Western Disposal truck, the other day.

How could you??

In all seriousness, I was just about ready to toss is myself before you picked it up. Too bad it didn't work for you 95-97 grill w/ 01-04 bumper would have looked pretty good IMO.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #225
"young Brett"

Quote:
That's exactly why I decided not to make the TW meet

Still planning to stop on the way out to CO a couple weeks later though

I've been putting off making a list becuase I know I would never finish it.

Let's see, main things:

- Install steering rack/tie rods and get an alignment
- Pickup longer shocks from Jace and install those and shackles
- Hack off bedsides, install bumper, buy a full size spare
- Buy a junkyard gastank and replace that and the fuel pump

and a bunch of other small jobs....

Oh, and keep us updated on your trip of course!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #226
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been putting off making a list becuase I know I would never finish it.

Let's see, main things:

- Install steering rack/tie rods and get an alignment
- Pickup longer shocks from Jace and install those and shackles
- Hack off bedsides, install bumper, buy a full size spare
- Buy a junkyard gastank and replace that and the fuel pump

and a bunch of other small jobs....

Oh, and keep us updated on your trip of course!
You could totally do all of that in a day, or weekend if you're one of them slow kids

What's this about bedside hacking and new bumper?

As I'm sure you already know - you should do the shocks/shackles before the alignment, as contrary to popular (incorrect) belief, messing with the rear does effect alignments up front (caster).

And hell yeah I will! Tentatively shooting to be in CO around the weekend of the 21st of June. Working on getting the specific timeframe / locations figured out by the end of the weekend. May have convinced a buddy / TW member to make the trip as well. We'll be stopping in Moab at least one of the ways to / from here
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #227
"young Brett"

Quote:
You could totally do all of that in a day, or weekend if you're one of them slow kids
Well, part of the problem is that there's no where to get a gas tank local. Have to drive down to Denver, which is 3 hours away. And I have this thing called work that gets in the way. I did throw my ES bushings in the new rack tonight though, the list got me motivated! Was actually really simple, way easier than it was made out to be.

Quote:
What's this about bedside hacking and new bumper?
You'll just have to wait along with me. Should be a week from saturday.

Quote:
As I'm sure you already know - you should do the shocks/shackles before the alignment, as contrary to popular (incorrect) belief, messing with the rear does effect alignments up front (caster).

And hell yeah I will! Tentatively shooting to be in CO around the weekend of the 21st of June. Working on getting the specific timeframe / locations figured out by the end of the weekend. May have convinced a buddy / TW member to make the trip as well. We'll be stopping in Moab at least one of the ways to / from here
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #228
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturecolorado View Post
Sqeaky Penguin's bumper is alllllmost wrapped up.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #230
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Andddd it all makes sense. Will look forward to seeing it on the truck...
Old 05-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #231
"young Brett"

Got my rear bumper installed. Alex took some of his fancy pics when we finished up. Should look better than these.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #233
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good man

I was looking through his build with the bumper... and noticed this:

That uh... kind of freaks me out given the amount of stress on the spindle and already knowing one person whose ripped out. Is there some sort of additional plating/gusseting for the spindle I can't see?

EDIT: and don't mean to be stepping on toes. More curious than anything. Will be building a swingout of my own in the near future, and exploring designs.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #234
"old Brett", Tour Guide
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking bumper Brett!
I have a swing out on the scout that I made that uses just a bolt for the pivot but its double shear. I see lots of single shear spindle assemblies like yours and have not seen one break. Its a popular design on jeeps too.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #235
"young Brett"

Quote:
Looking good man

I was looking through his build with the bumper... and noticed this:

That uh... kind of freaks me out given the amount of stress on the spindle and already knowing one person whose ripped out. Is there some sort of additional plating/gusseting for the spindle I can't see?

EDIT: and don't mean to be stepping on toes. More curious than anything. Will be building a swingout of my own in the near future, and exploring designs.

I don't think it's going anywhere. Trying to remember the company that makes the spindle kit. It's not just bolted through, but the bottom if fully welded to the main part of the bumper, and then he added that little side support.

I guess we'll see though. But isn't that how most of them are?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #236
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at that picture, if you didn't know how it was built you might think that the nut at the top was the only attachment. Obviously that probably wouldn't withstand being opened even one time.

Maybe that's what he was thinking?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #237
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
Looking at that picture, if you didn't know how it was built you might think that the nut at the top was the only attachment. Obviously that probably wouldn't withstand being opened even one time.

Maybe that's what he was thinking?
Yeah, I don't know, but I'd like to think Timmy is smarter than that

But like I said, it was purchased as a kit with spindle/bearings/dust caps and all that stuff.

And a few pics from a little wheeling trip yesterday. Me and my buddy Leo (Night Eagle) went out to Bunce School Road.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #238
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yeah, nice addition. That spare though . . .
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #239
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Hell yeah, nice addition. That spare though . . .
Working on it....

Trying to find a matching wheel has been tougher than I thought. No one responded in the Colorado trading post, Yota Jim didn't have one, starting a thread in the wheel/tire marketplace, and have one lead on getting one shipped here. Don't know if that'll happen before Moab.

And will be buying a another 255/85 KM2 this week.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #240
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Haha. I think it would be good just to have the same size tire, a matching wheel is just a bonus.

Products Discussed in this Thread