Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Squeaky Penguin's (not much of a) Build Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #281
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Nice, I will get mine up for you . . . one day.
Too busy fishing, or working, or some combination thereof?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #282
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
Too busy fishing, or working, or some combination thereof?
Yes! Right after Moab I headed up to Montana and am up here for a few weeks, sorting through pics is lower on my priority scale right now. Lets say July I will get to them
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #283
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got tired of looking at the half powder coated, half rusty LCA skids, gotta say I'm rather unimpressed with powder coating.

They've taken a few hits:

Took a bit of time with the flap disk:

And all cleaned up, just matched the old colors becuase I kinda liked them:

And another welding project:

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #284
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Did you expect that the powder coat wasn't going to chip/scrape off when you dragged them on rocks?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #285
"young Brett"

No it wasn't that. Obivously, it was going to chip where it hit rocks. It was the overall condition of the rest of the skids that haven't ever seen a rock. I though the proponents of powder coating say it holds up better to minor hits/weather/winter roads and stuff like that? Anyways, I bought these used from Jerry powder coated, and there's a reason all the rest of my armour (now all of it) is rattle canned.

BTW, pulled into BFE at Rock Therapy after some 2nd gen guy followed me in from Moab. He told me he though he was following your truck for awhile. I must be doing something right
Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #286
"young Brett"

Sorry Timmy...

Crawlorado Hood Blackout:

Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #288
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
How about a pic of the hood from the inside?
I'll try and get one for you.

In the meantime, a few pics from a little trip today. Still need more snow to melt....

Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #289
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry Timmy...

Crawlorado Hood Blackout:

Just kidding man looks great! How's it work?

Pics look like fun too... I think I underestimated how much snow there'd still be....
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #290
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

Just kidding man looks great! How's it work?

Pics look like fun too... I think I underestimated how much snow there'd still be....
Liking it so far. Not going to go so far as to say I'd buy one for full price. But it's nice.

And yeah, I completely understand. I'm used to people being surprised at how long it takes for all the snow to go away. When you're from somewhere warm, it's hard to comprehend that snow will stop you in July.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #291
"young Brett"

Been chasing down CB issues even since my spring stripped out in Moab. Can't get my SWR below 3, and have some wierd interference through my stereo speakers. So far I have:

-Replaced the spring
-Replaced the stud mount
-Tired every possible tuning position of the antenna
-Checked the mounting bracked for good ground
-Moved the CB power cable in the cab, and then moved them straight to the battery
-Had the radio itself checked by the communications shop I work next to

I'm at a loss, next step will be to replace the coax cable itself and the antenna. That way I know the radio is good, and absolutely everything else is new. Trying to get it working for some wheeling this weekend.

Oh, and as of Sunday, I was the first truck to the top of Buffalo Pass this season:

Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #293
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, I figured out th issue with mine in Moab, the mic cable had two of the four wires loose where it plugs into the radio, causing weird intermittent issues, worth checking out things like that.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #294
"young Brett"

Quote:
So, I figured out th issue with mine in Moab, the mic cable had two of the four wires loose where it plugs into the radio, causing weird intermittent issues, worth checking out things like that.
I'll be playing with it tonight. The guy that tested my radio checked the mic to, and that was all good. I bought a new run of coax to try, but wasn't able to find a new antenna in town.

James, you want to earn yourself a couple beers and pick me up a 3 or so foot antenna and bring it with you this weekend?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #295
Because 4R

Quote:
I'll be playing with it tonight. The guy that tested my radio checked the mic to, and that was all good. I bought a new run of coax to try, but wasn't able to find a new antenna in town.

James, you want to earn yourself a couple beers and pick me up a 3 or so foot antenna and bring it with you this weekend?
Yeah, I can do that, there is a truck stop right near me. 4' Firestik or similar?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #296
"young Brett"

Yeah, whatever they have. Preferably with a tuneable tip so I don't have to cut it.

Been running a 3' Firestik but a 4' would be fine too.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #297
Because 4R

No dice, all they had were shitty non-tuneable ones. I can't get mine below 2 on ch1 and 3 on ch 40 either . . . maybe we can swap antennas and see what happens?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #298
"young Brett"

Quote:
No dice, all they had were shitty non-tuneable ones. I can't get mine below 2 on ch1 and 3 on ch 40 either . . . maybe we can swap antennas and see what happens?
Well, thanks for checking. We'll probably swap antennas and both be worse...
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #299
"young Brett"

Well, going the wrong direction....

Now my SWR reader isn't moving, so that's either not working, or the radio, or my little 3' section of coax.

This damn radio is driving me insane
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #300
Because 4R

Quote:
Well, going the wrong direction....

Now my SWR reader isn't moving, so that's either not working, or the radio, or my little 3' section of coax.

This damn radio is driving me insane
That's what mine was doing and it was the mic connection. Check to see if you key it and the gauge moves. If not, I think it is the mic connection.

Products Discussed in this Thread