Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Squeaky Penguin's (not much of a) Build Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #361
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see any contradiction but that could be me.
I'll try again.

The first video (on the truck) appeared to show a shocking (to me) amount of play in the rack shaft, in all directions. I put up the pics I had of the dial indicator showing how much up and down play was present in an OEM rack with the guide completely removed. That measurement was 0.043", that's a good bit loss than 1/16". I felt the video looked like much more. Next comes the video from the other day. You have the guide out and the shaft has lots of play as I would expect and it would be normal. It almost looks like the guide was completely worn and or stuck, not doing it's job at all.

In an imaginary cross section of the rack at the guide, from front to back we have the pinion gear meshed with the rack teeth on the front side of the rack shaft squeezed against each other by the guide/spring/adjuster nice and snug so as to have zero lash (there's a mouthful). Because the face of the guide is curved there should be no movement of the shaft possible other than the intended left and right for steering.
Did that help, or make it worse?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #362
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still a little confused, but that's OK. Don't bother elaborating any more than you already have. But I do have a new point for your consideration:

That's the entire weight of the guide, easily held up by a magnet against the friction surface. I don't know how advance these advance polymers are getting, but I've never heard of a magnetic one...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #363
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Paying close attention to this. My rack leaks but has zero play so I do plan on replacing it eventually and want to make sure I go with the right company.
I'll report back on the Rack Doctor one. So far it's doing it's job. Don't want anyone to end up with the same troubles that I've had.

The funny part of this is that I only replaced my OEM rack because it had a slight leak, and the boots were ripped. Also wanted to replace the inner and outer tie rods while I was at it. Figured it would be good idea just to replace the entire rack being the truck had 225K on it at the time. Should've just left well enough alone.....
Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #364
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
I'm still a little confused, but that's OK. Don't bother elaborating any more than you already have. But I do have a new point for your consideration:

That's the entire weight of the guide, easily held up by a magnet against the friction surface. I don't know how advance these advance polymers are getting, but I've never heard of a magnetic one...
Well, this horse is getting beaten to death pretty fast.
Magnetism will pass right thru what appears to be a ridiculously thin layer of an as yet undetermined material and I have never heard of black metal.
Here's an entire upper ball joint held up by a pretty weak retrieval magnet thru 1/8" plastic sheet.

If you want to pursue this further, take a razor and slice off an inconspicuous shaving of the material, clean it then hit it with a match.
Touche
Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #365
"young Brett"

Well, I guess I haven't played with magnets enough recently

Thanks for all your help though. Going to button this thing back up and send it back.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #366
"young Brett"

Quote:
Also, a pic of me and my rig on the last wheelin trip.

Did OK at matching this picture.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #367
Keyboard commander
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I freaking love your rear bumper man, nice build.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #368
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohbsTaco View Post
I freaking love your rear bumper man, nice build.
Thanks man! And yeah, I'm happy with how the rear bumper turned out.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #369
Keyboard commander
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
you dont sell them do you??
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #370
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope. It's a member on here's design. I think his screen name on here is capturecolorado
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #371
"young Brett"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman90 View Post
Nope. It's a member on here's design. I think his screen name on here is capturecolorado
This.

Alex built it. He hasn't been very active on here recently, but here's his build:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...oae-build.html

Think I remember him saying he didn't want to build any others though....
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #372
"young Brett"

Changed my tramission oil to Redline MT-90 today. Really didn't notice that much of a difference between my old, cheap, conventional 75w-90 that was in there.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #373
capturecolorado is just really nicecapturecolorado is just really nicecapturecolorado is just really nicecapturecolorado is just really nice

Name: Alex
capturecolorado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I've got two friends with broken swingouts. One's a jeep (was single sheer), the other was a second gen. I don't remember how the spindle was attached with the second gen, but it was determined that was because of a bad batch of metal with the spindle. The jeep on the other hand, had no defective parts, and I think it breaking had a lot to do with being single sheer. YMMV.

I truly hope it works out for you, and as I mentioned - am not trying to bash design or anything. I am just trying to understand the thinking behind this design so I can learn from it.

That's what I was referring to about the plating/gussetting.. how it actually attaches to the bumper on the inside/underside. I have also seen (on the internet, FWIW, which isn't much!), swingouts ripped out when they're just attached to one point of the bumper plating, and not reinforced with vertical gussets behind the plate bumper / etc. I try to not make assumptions on how the bumper was built, when I can't tell - hence asking the method.

My concern is that is basically 1.5 sheer IMO. That top part sort of makes it double, but a single bolt holding that top part on, could still allow it to pivot, sort of defeating it being double sheer. So, I was wondering how it was beefed up in the context of single sheer (tied into multiple parts of the plate bumper, additional gussets/plating/etc. Do you have a picture of the inside of the bumper?

And yes, plenty of people apparently have single sheer bumpers without problems. As it so happens, of my two local friends with swingouts, both are broken. So, I'm trying to avoid that when I build mine.

No. See above.

I get dumber daily. The older I get the less I know. And I only drive my truck to home depot on saturday mornings so people will think I look cool in the parking lot, so my opinion doesn't matter anyways.

As mentioned, I have no idea how the spindle is tied in, hence why I asked. S'pose I could have guessed too, but then again, I've never been good at go fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I don't see any problem with this setup, actually it is a nice solution to make the swingout double shear. Remember most people usually just run single shear with the spindle. My guess is the spindle is fully welded at the top of the bumper and runs through and is also welded at the bottom of the bumper so there isn't just one attachment taking all the force on the spindle. That would still be single shear but this setup with the double shear just adds some support. Should be trouble free from what I can see. Nicely done.
^^^ This. (I'm surfing back through the months of missed TW stuff... sorry to dredge up old info). Also, thanks for the compliments Box, your build inspires much of what I'm doing, as does your attention to detail.

The spindle is run through both sides of 2x6 tube 3/16" thick, fully welded on both ends and braced back to the 1/4" mounting plate via the bed sliders. The design mimics production spindle mounts that I've seen on various companies bumpers, and independent fabricators work. I believe the spindle is supported sufficiently without the dual sheer, but added the DS as an extra safety to help reduce the amount of deflection at the spindle.

The angle of the DS bracket is also positioned as such that it will help add torsional rigidity to the spindle in both the open and closed positions. The bolt is 1/2" grade 8... 1/2" grade 8 bolts have a single sheer strength of 17,000 lbs (link). The bolt torque capacity of the 1/2-20 bolt I used is also good for up to 128ft-lbs, which applies a clamp load of over 14,0000lbs. The DS bracket that came with this spindle was designed to be welded onto the bumper, but I decided to go this route for overall simplicity and versatility. I've also got a bad shoulder (due, in part, to drilling the holes for the spindles), so not having a humungous bumper/tire carrier assembly to move around my shop is a bonus

Anywho, glad you're happy with the bumper, Brett! If anyone has any questions about the bumper I'm happy to answer; as you know, I've put a lot of thought into it
Old 08-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #374
"young Brett"

Good to have all that info Alex. Haven't had an issues with the spindle/swingout yet, and really don't think it's going anywhere.

I get all sorts of compliments on your work BTW!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #375
capturecolorado is just really nicecapturecolorado is just really nicecapturecolorado is just really nicecapturecolorado is just really nice

Quote:
Good to have all that info Alex. Haven't had an issues with the spindle/swingout yet, and really don't think it's going anywhere.

I get all sorts of compliments on your work BTW!
Happy to chime in! I'm confident it won't be going anywhere either, mine has the exact same setup and this design seems to be working out really well and very solid.

I'm glad you're enjoying the bumper, and happy to hear people are complimenting it! I don't usually get too many people asking about my bumper, but I notice plenty of staring as folks walk by in the shop parking lot.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #376
"young Brett"

This belongs in here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Driver View Post
Truth be told, Brett did most of the recovery. I helped a little with the final pull out of the bog after the suction had been overcome.

This is a very good example of why you never go 4x4ing alone. We found out later for the USFS campground resident retiree that the owner had walked the 8 miles to the campground earlier that day. Brett probably knows more of the story after calling the number on the business card left with the resident retiree.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #377
"young Brett"

Had some fun at Moody Hill yesterday:

And, this build thread is probably going to get pretty stagnant in the next year. Moved down to the front range of Colorado to attempt to finish school, meaning I have zero money to be spending on this thing.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #378

Where are you going to school down here?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #379
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturecolorado View Post
Where are you going to school down here?
Going to CU, but living in Erie.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #380

Quote:
Going to CU, but living in Erie.
Nice dude. Hope it goes well up there! We'll have to go wheeling up there sometime.

Products Discussed in this Thread