Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Squeaky Penguin's (not much of a) Build Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Squeaky Penguin's (not much of a) Build Thread

Figured what the hell! I've done enough to my truck to make one of these. Bought the truck in March of 2012, the PO used the truck as a commuter on the interstate between Colorado Springs and Denver, I have since sought to return this truck to its native habitat. I haven't done too much yet but were we go... I think I've taken enough pictures to make this somewhat interesting...

Rock Therapy 2014:

5/04/14

At Rock Therapy 2013:

As of 9/23/13:

Specs:
2001 Xtra-Cab V6, SR5, TRD, Manual
Mystic Gold Metalic

Exterior:
ARE CX Topper
Homemade Satoshi
BAMF behind the grill light bar
Plastidipped Emblems

Suspension:
5100s up front
OME 882 coils
Wheeler's 5 pack leaf springs + AAL
Toytec 2" Lift Shackles
10" 5125s

Armor:
BAMF kickout sliders
BAMF LCA Skids
All-Pro Apex Front Bumper
All-Pro IFS and Transmission Skids
Custom High Clearance Rear Bumper with Swingout and 2 2 gallon Rotopax

Lighting:
4 ProComp 55w 5" Behind the grill
OK LEDs 6 light pods w/Amber lenses for fogs

Wheels/Tires:
255/85/16 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s
Stock Wheels painted with Duplicolor Silver Wheel Paint and Matte Clear Coat
Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
Matching spare on a 5 tire rotation
Winter Set
245/75/16 BFG Winter Slalom KSI
2nd Gen TRD Off Road Wheels painted Duplicolor Graphite Wheel Paint

Interior:
Husky floor Liners
Kenwood KDC-X395 Headunit
Cobra 75 WX ST with a 4' Wilson Flex on a BAMF mount
Polk Audio DB-571's Front & Back
Polk DB1001 Tweeters
Alpine MRP-F300 Amp

Recovery:
Smittybilt XRC10 Winch w/Synthetic Line
Ironman 4x4 Recovery Kit

Other:
Diff Breather
BAMF BPV Plate
AAE Steering Rack with Energy Suspension Bushings

Waiting Patiently:
(And at this point very patiently!)
Regear - Probably 4.56
Who Know's? This list gets finished too quickly anyways!

Notable Trips:
Rock Therapy 2013 - Seven Mile Rim - Fins N Things - Elephant Hill
Whishbone's Colorado High Country Trip - 8/23-8/25/2013
Chinaman Gultch 11/16/13
Chinaman Gultch 5/04/14
Rock Therapy 2014 - Kokopelli Trail - Gold Bar Rin to Golden Spike - Cliffhanger One & Two
July 4th 2014 weekend by Wishbone - Tin Cup Pass - Grizzly Lake - Mount Antero - Baldwin Lakes - Birdseye Gultch - Mosquito Pass
Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Original First Post Crap
You guys will laugh, first thing I did was peel off both the window visors things and the tint... So here it is pretty much stock and as I got it.

Then wheeled it some:

Took the topper off for a little bit, and then took it wheeling:
Teller City:

Parkview:

Did I mention I love the mountains here in Colorado...

Painted the valence and fender flares with Rustolem bedliner:

Decided my stock leaf springs were toast, and TW was a bad influence, and ordered 5100's front and rear, and wheeler's 5 packs.

Old leaf springs:

Front 5100's were backordered, so I installed the rear stuff anyways. Can you say rake! Also, note the new dent from the first wheeling trip!

Front 5100's showed up, and I set them in the middle positon with the stock coils:

And then tested the new Billies out:
View from Sand Mountain towards Hahn's Peak:

Alignment shop made a little mistake:

Got some 265/75/16 BFG TA KO's to fill up the wheel wells a little more. Also, somewhere just before this I tore off one of the front mud flaps, so I took off the other, backs will stay for now.
Looks pretty all washed and waxed...

My brother helping show off some flex:

Grouse hunting:

Scouting for duck hunting:

Good thing I'm short, opening of duck season;

Just recently now, I installed a BAMF light bar, 4 crappy 5" lights, and made an even crappier satoshi(ish) grill. Bought a $40 grill of eBay to hack up in case I want to go back to stock:

Original Second Post
Got the 881's installed!

Also took the time to install some Wheeler's bumbstops and sway bar bushings.

Think the old coils needed replacement:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
"young Brett"

Made an order from Superbrightleds to get a couple things:

New reverse bulb comparison

Found out I was suppose to have a glove box light

Color matched my climate control bulbs to my headunit:

And also got some really bright dome and map lights. I did have to add some 1w 100ohm resistors to make them work with the key off though.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
"young Brett"

Copied everyone on here and added an Uniden 520 in the ash tray location.

Currently have a 3' firestik on a BAMF mount. Was a little surprised I couldn't streach the 18' coax all the way from the back to the center console, so I had to add an adapter and a 3' section of coax to the back of the radio.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
"young Brett"

Managed to find a stretch of decent weather to get the sliders on:

Nice looking welds:

And a little test:
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
"young Brett"

Installed a rear diff breather extension today. $5 union from Toyota, and $8 worth of stuff from the harware store. I'll be looking into doing the front diff and transfer case next. Was a really easy install except for the ice and dripping water falling on my face....

Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
"young Brett"

Also, got a box from JLee:

His old LCA skids. They'll be a nice splash of color and I should be able to get them on here pretty soon.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
"young Brett"

The installation wasn't exactly what I would call easy, but here ya go:

Old 04-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
"young Brett"

Painted my stock wheels with Duplicolor Bronze wheel paint. Will give it awhile and decide if I want to keep it or go to graphite. Never really liked black wheels.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
"young Brett"

It may have worked with a little more effort, just didn't want to go through the hassle. I've got 8" of extra by the tailgate. And another 8" or so in the rear compartment by the jack. Good thing about this setup is that I can plug in my SWR meter by pulling the little kick panel by my left foot.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
"young Brett"

Added a fire extinguisher behind the drivers seat:

Also reworked my Hi-Lift mount and picked up a box to keep things organized in the bed.

Thinking I might pick up another fire extinguisher to mount in the bed just in case.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
"young Brett"

I guess I should try and update this a little more often.

Redid my grill. Made it only 1" deep to better fit the lights, and colored matched it. I think it looks much better this time around.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
"young Brett"

Did a little audio work the other day. Don't want to do anything too complicated, so I added some Polk DB571's to the front door, run off of a Sound Ordnance M2100 amp under the passanger seat. So far I'm loving the sound.

I'm going to give it awhile before I decide if I want to do anything else. Thinking about some Polk tweeters to replace the factory door ones, but dont't know yet.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
How did the 881s settle? How is the ride quality?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
How did the 881s settle? How is the ride quality?

I've really enjoy the 881's. Much better ride quality than the stock TRD coils, and an inch more of lift of the lowest setting, as opposed to the middle. It seems like they didn't settle too much, but I never did take any measurements.

Here's my stance as of yesterday.

I've been somewhat tempted to bump the 5100's up to the middle setting, but I'm already perfectly level as is, definetly don't want a bro lean. I've also heard mixed opinions on preloading OME coils. I ment to talk to White Toy Taco about his 881s on the middle setting when I wheeled with him in Moab. Might be worth asking him to if you're wanting a little more lift.

My original intention was not really to lift, but now I'm wanting a little more rake. Between the topper and the 100+ pounds of crap in my bin in the bed I'm pushing the Wheeler's 5 packs. Might be looking into an AAL and/or new shackles.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
"young Brett"

I guess I should update this some more

A few pics from Moab:

Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Great pictures! I love your build. Keep up the good stuff!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
"young Brett"

Thanks man! For the little bit I've done to it I really enjoy it.

Really wish I could put more into it....
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
"young Brett"

Just ordered the AAL's for my 5 packs along with some new U-bolts and an extended brake line.

It'll be nice to go back to some rake!