Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Zam15's Adventure Rally Build

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Zam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Zam15's Tacoma Gallery
Zam15's Adventure Rally Build

Hi all, just though I would post my build here because I find myself spending more time on TacomaWorld.

Introduction:

My name is Derek, I am in my mid 20's and I am a San Diego, CA native. I have always had a love to find out what is over the next hill. When I came upon Expedition Portal I was able to see how my life long desire to own a “Go Anywhere” Toyota Tacoma and my love of camping and exploration could go hand in hand. I would now be able to travel to remote places with friends and family and not be limited to the standard tourist traps. My goal was to be able to transport and sleep four people with all their gear in one vehicle and maintain its ability to leave large motor homes behind. I decided the best vehicle to do this was the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab.
ROAM (Roaming Outdoor Adventure Mobile):
Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road (This was like a unicorn)

Exterior as of Jan 2013:

Suspension Shots:

As of May 2011:

Highlights:

Armor:
All-Pro Sliders
ARB Front Bumper - Modified
Rear Diff Guard
CBI Frame Plates/gussets

Suspension:
Built Right Fabrication - Long Travel Install and Fabrication by SD Truck Shop
Custom King 2.5” x 8" shocks w/remote reservoir and 700LB Coils
Timbren Bump Stops
Cam tab gussets
Spindle gussets
Coil bucket/double shear UCA gussets
Steering rack gussets on new steering rack
Heim steering
Tundra LT CV Axles
Tundra brake conversion
Stainless steel brake lines
Diff drop

General:
New ARB/Skid plate crossmember (replaced the flimsy one provided by ARB)
Glassworks 6.5 Front Fenders (have bedsides in storage waiting to go on
Custom Snorkel - My ARB would no longer work with fenders

Curent Rear:
Dakar HD OME Leaf Springs + Deaver AAL
OME Shocks N85
HD Shackles
Greasable Bushings
HD U-Bolts
Budbuilt Traction Bar - Removed
Timbren Bump Stops

Navigation/Communication:
ASUS Eee PC 10.1" on Laptop Mount for Nav
-USA Photomaps, Microsoft Streets and Tips, and Google Maps
Amplified PA/CB Radio
Alpine 7" DVD/NAV/Backup Camera
Scanner
HAM Radio - Soon... What unit?
HTC smart phone (Even I can't get lost with three GPS systems going)

Lights:
7” HID Off-Road Lights
Vision X LED Rock Lights

Expedition Gear:
Roof Top Tent w/Changing Room
Safari Roof Rack
Homemade Awning
Thule Swing Away Bike Rack

Tires:
BFG AT 285/75R16 E
MB Razor 16" Rims

Recover Gear:
12,500lb Winch (and associated items)
Hi-Lift Jack
Sand Ladders

Stereo:
Alpine 7" DVD/NAV/Backup Camera
10" Pioneer Shallow-Mount Sub
500Watt Alpine AMP
Custom stealth sub box
Full Dynamat on all doors
Infinity Kappa speakers
Dynamat Doors

Power:
Mean Green High Output Alternator
IBS Dual Battery Kit
Dual Odyssey PC-1400 Batteries
65 Watt Solar - Mounted On Roof Rack
Columbia Overland Dual Battery Tray

Security:
OPSEC

Other:
Transmission Cooler
Flowmaster 40
12,500lb Winch
Hi-Lift Jack
Snugtop Camper Shell
Spray On Bed Liner
Towing Package
50QT ARB Fridge 24/7
10" Pioneer Shallow-Mount Sub
500Watt Alpine AMP
Dynamat Doors
Infinity kappa Speakers

Planned:
Front Locker
4.88 Gears F/R
Ford 9" full length rear axle w/locker
4-Link Rear
Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier
TRD Super Charger
Auxiliary Fuel Tank
Hot water heater/aux tank
Flip-Pac
35"x12.5" Tires
Secondary front shocks
Secondary front shocks/mounts/cross brace
LED Light Bar - Front
LED Hazard Bar - Rear
Full Skidplates
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
What a good looking truck! It looks like you've got a pretty good plan as far as where you want your build to go. I like it a lot! Keep it up
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen you over on Exportal and been following your build regularly. Welcome to TW though. Very inspiring truck!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good
Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Hey welcome! I talked to you at Fish Creek last weekend!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Looks great man!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Wow great looking rig!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, great looking truck!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Rdy2offrd88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Rdy2offrd88's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! I've followed your build over on expo along with some of the others. Very awesome build up to say the least!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Zam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zam15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GREENTACO View Post
I've seen you over on Exportal and been following your build regularly. Welcome to TW though. Very inspiring truck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdy2offrd88 View Post
Welcome to TW! I've followed your build over on expo along with some of the others. Very awesome build up to say the least!
Thanks for all the positive input! Ya I have spent a good ammount of time on several forums, wanted to build more of a go anywhere expedition rig so I spent most of my time on ExPo. Tons of good resources here as well, just never made an account. Still have so may projects on the back burner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Hey welcome! I talked to you at Fish Creek last weekend!
It was nice meeting you guys as well, did not expect to see any Tacos out in Anza that weeked as everyone seems to have gone to KOH. I'm sure I'll join you on a run in the future.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Where in San Diego do you live?

I know I've seen your truck in Escondido before!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #13

Zam15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Running Daily View Post
Where in San Diego do you live?

I know I've seen your truck in Escondido before!
I live up in Esco but normally travel all around San Diego
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zam15 View Post
I live up in Esco but normally travel all around San Diego
Sweet! Ya, I go to San Pasqual High School. Hope to see you around!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #15

Zam15's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick run out to Anza for TDS

Me lost? Never!

A little flex test:

Camp:
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like it...I love it! Same direction I am going with my rig with the roof racks over the cab and the shell.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
Paiza RIder
87Tcyota is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
87Tcyota's Tacoma Gallery
looks great man Ive always pictured doing something like this half desert truck half explorer.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
abunch is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck.

Is your camper reinforced at all for the RTT? I am about to pull the trigger on one. I am a bit worried about mounting it to my ARE shell. Usually the base line campers can support the weight of the tent, but not a tent with two people in it.