Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

My "AZTACOMA" build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
My "AZTACOMA" build

I figured I’d come up with a “build thread” but it’s more of an all-purpose thread about me, outdoor trips, and the truck in general.

The truck:
2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4. Bought it new in September, 1999. Current miles: 211,000 (with a shit-ton of hard, pipe-hittin 4x4 miles)

Usage:
This is my budget expo/adventure vehicle I use to get to places. This includes lots of hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping. I also do a lot of 4x4 recons into backcountry areas of the Southwest seeking out old townsites, mines, Indian remains, cool natural features… stuff like that, and the more remote the better. Naturally, I like to be self-sufficient for up to a week in the boonies. It has seen a fair amount of hauling and trailering, but those duties have mostly been transferred to my big truck.

Vehicle Summary:
I have beat the hell out of this truck. It’s been down “roads” that it had no business being on and has taken it like a champ. It’s seen sand, mud, water, snow, a good amount of crawling, and of course some “baja” action. It’s driven -250' sea level to over 13,000', in 120+ degree weather to -20 temps. It has driven from west coast to the east coast and back. It’s been everywhere from Hollywood and Vine to Bourban Street to some of the crappiest chunks of landscape in the middle of nowhere. I love this truck.

Other Thoughts:
My mod process has been slow and fairly minimal… cheap, basic, functional. The reasons are 1) I’m very, er... budget minded 2) I don’t need much “extra” to use it for what I do, and 3) I can care less about looks or bling. The truck only gets used once every week or two now, but I still need to be able to travel at 75mph reliably, in comfort, and then hit a gnarly trail and not worry about scratches or getting stuck. It has not failed me. I’ve averaged a 4x4 trip a month for over 10 years, many of them 2-6 days long. With good, regular maintenance the Tacoma continues to thrive and should be my primary exploration 4x4 until about 2019-20.

Current Mods:
Massive pinstriping and dents galore
De-badged
Uniden CB
Pioneer/polk system
Viper alarm
GPS, ultraguage, inclinometer w/mounts
Fire extinguisher mount
Deckplate mod
Air compressor (hardmounted under hood)
4-hi e-locker mod
2.5” spacer front lift
OME Dakar 2.5" 8-pack
Camburg UCAs
33” BFG KM2s
“Custom” front bumper trim with signal relocation
Pinch weld mod
Trail gear sliders
Homemade roof rack with spare tire mount
External fuel cell (9 gal)
KC lights, front/back
Custom rear swing-out bumper
Aftermarket front and rear lights
Rear frame reinforcement plates
Neoprene seat covers
…other minor misc stuff

Future Mods/tasks:
Fix big dent on side ? Nah
New timing belt / water pump
New steering rack
Hi-Lift mounts on rear bumper
Fresh water tank (10-12gal) with pump (someday?)
12 volt freezer (dream on)

Recent Trips:
Elk Mountains 7/14
Various fishing 6/14
White Tanks 6/14
Turkey Hunt 5/14
Mojave National Preserve 3/14
Elvis 1/14
Sierra Anchas 1/14
Harquahala Mountain 11/13 (Ram 2500)
Various quail hunting 10/13 - 12/13
Mogollon Rim cast and blast 10/13
Archery Elk- White Mountains 9/13 (Ram 2500)
Various dove shooting 9/13
Lake Pleasant 8/13
Eastern AZ Strip 7/13
Humphrey's Peak 6/13
White Tanks 6/13
Big Bear, SoCal 5/13
Death Valley 3/13
Agua Fria NM 2/13
Punkin Center 2/13

Upcoming Trips:
various fishing: 7/14-8/14
White Mountains 3 nighter: 9/14
1 nighter Rim trip: 10/14
4x4 day trip (C-Gap?): 10/14 or 11/14

Other Truck:
2004 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4x4
She's used mainly to haul heavy loads and tow the travel, horse, and boat trailers.

A few previous mods:

Early on I knew I needed air so I could air-down for comfort and traction. I scored a Master Flow for $50, darn thing still works. I exchanged the crap hose connections with my own universal, fabbed a mounting plate, and stuck it in. I relocated my alarm horn and snipped the alligator clips to permattach to the battery.

Here we are airing up. You can also see my KC 26 series lights. The two front are long range and the two rear are flood. I got them because they are small and rectangular, like my roof rack. They are good for the price, but if I had to do it again I'd probably get bigger ones for the front. Maybe I'll put two more up front someday.

This pic shows the rear lights and "external fuel cell," which is my low budget auxiliary fuel tank. It's a 9 gallon boat tank, painted and secured. All I do is attach a fuel hose to the tank, squish the primer bulb a couple times, and it gravity feeds into the main tank. Right now my max cruise range is 600 miles; 18 gal tank, 9 gal fuel cell, 5 gal jug.

I never planned on a winch so a heavy front bumper didn't make a lot of sense to me. I did want a better approach angle for the tires though so I cut the sides of the bumper! To do this, I had to move the blinker light into the corner light... ghetto, but pretty easy. I might eventually get a tube bumper but it's not a priority.

This shows the cut bumper pretty well:

I bought the camper shell off craigslist for $125. Scuffed it, primed it, and rattle-canned it for about $50. Is the paint an exact match? Nope. Does it matter? Nope!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
First. Can't wait to see pics.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
williamsdouglas73 is just really nicewilliamsdouglas73 is just really nicewilliamsdouglas73 is just really nicewilliamsdouglas73 is just really nice

Name: doug williams
williamsdouglas73's Tacoma Gallery
super interested to see pics
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
RANDOM WHEELING PICS

Near Prescott, AZ

Anza Borrego, CA

Pyeatt Draw, AZ

Big Bend, TX

White Tanks, AZ

Outside Las Vegas

Near Oatman, AZ

Joshua Tree, CA

Broken Arrow, AZ

White Rim Road (Canyonlands) UT

El Camino Del Diablo, AZ

Elephant Hill (Needles District) UT

Death Valley, CA

Grand Canyon (stock!)

San Juan's, CO

Big Bear, CA

New Mexico
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Treating a Toyota the way they are supposed to be treated! I look forward to seeing some more action pictures. Well done!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
That is a GREAT looking truck! Love that compressor idea.

Where did you get that compressor at?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #8

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Woody.

I think I got the compressor from Pep Boys, but you can get it off Amazon for $60. And I've never considered my poor old truck "great looking" but I'll take the compliment!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yanked off the receiver hitch and cut my rear quarter panels to make room for the new bumper. Actually my cousin did most of the cutting. The nice part about having faded, dinged, scratched, 200,000+ miles is you don't necessarily need precision!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #10

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Rear bumper is almost done!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Rear bumper is almost done!
can i still get your old rear when your all done with it
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #12

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Once it's off for good come take a look... it's a hunk o' junk.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Where'd you pick up the external fuel tank?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's a Moeller 9 gal boat tank, similar to this (they don't carry my model anymore)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #15

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Bumper is ON.

My Rustoleum Satin paint job was about as good as my sheetmetal cutting...

Now I will mount my tire and install a license light. Pretty soon I will put on some mounts for my hi-lift jack.

Special thanks to Aaron for making this at an incredible price. Super quality and a really nice guy who's easy to work with.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
that is awesome looking!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #17

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
reserved
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Swing out is similar to mine. Looks great!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
Good lookin rear bumper

What trails are you running in the pics?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #20

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
First pic was in the White Tanks, probably Lower Scorpion... quite a long time ago. The 2nd pic was a trail near Oatman, here is another one from that trail:

And a few more from that trip in 2011.

Products Discussed in this Thread