Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

My 02 SR5 4WD Build - "T. Belle"

Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #101
deez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Darren
deez's Tacoma Gallery
Amp Research Bed Extender

10/14/13

One can never have enough bed space (especially when a tire carrier takes up half of it).

Amp Research BedXTender HD installed today.

Some drilling was involved; but the provided template made it an easy install.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #102
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
YOUR TRUCK IS AMAZING. holy shit, haha one of your pictures is my wallpaper
Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #103
Purveyor of Useless Info
MedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Paramedic, Certified FFII, Hazmat Ops, Instructor I
Name: Josh
MedicMutt's Tacoma Gallery
Pristine ride, man. I'm very impressed with your attention to detail. Those little nit-pick things (i.e. the coax drip loop) really set your work apart. Sub'd.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #105
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
you and boxrocket are running a pretty close race in my book....awesome build man
Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #106
02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice

Name: Brock
02goldie's Tacoma Gallery
such a sick truck! wish i had the materials and knowledge to build/fab stuff like you made. also where do you run your wiring for the roof lights?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #107
deez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelsisTaco View Post
YOUR TRUCK IS AMAZING. holy shit, haha one of your pictures is my wallpaper
Haha thanks, CelsisTaco! No problem, be my guest! I'm both honored and humbled to grace your desktop

Is that your real age? A 15 y.o. with a Tacoma? That's pretty amazing. At that age, I was still riding a bike or walking. I didn't get a car until I was 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMutt View Post
Pristine ride, man. I'm very impressed with your attention to detail. Those little nit-pick things (i.e. the coax drip loop) really set your work apart. Sub'd.
Thanks, MedicMutt! Just some tricks I learned from an old job. The little things can mean big things later on, especially with wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TacoDriver View Post
you and boxrocket are running a pretty close race in my book....awesome build man
Wow, I take that as a huge compliment. There are so many nice builds on TW, and his is my #1 fave (along with his trailer). Thanks, 99TacoDriver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02goldie View Post
such a sick truck! wish i had the materials and knowledge to build/fab stuff like you made. also where do you run your wiring for the roof lights?
Thanks, 02goldie! Just some tricks I learned from an old job. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

The roof light wiring runs across the roof rack and down the rack pillars into the rear of the cab. The past few days have been devoted to finishing up the roof lights in fact, so an update and some photos will soon follow.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #108

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Firestik and Cable Install

10/17/13

To protect the CB coax to exposure from outside elements, Raychem DR-25 sleeving and marine heat-shrink were heat shrunk over the section that will remain outside the cab (~44").

A separate ground wire was also made.

Unlike the MLJ connector, the 3/8" x 24 antenna stud connector on the ProComm coax fit into the antenna tab perfectly. Firestik QD connector installed.

Coax routed through rubber grommet into the rear of cab (passenger-side). Drip loop to help prevent water from dripping into the cab through the grommet.

Ground wire attached to underside of bed.

CB coax routed to center console via rear/side trim and passenger seat. CB coax storage area is in between center console and passenger seat (not shown).

Firestik FL4 with medium spring installed.

Just like the Comet antenna, the Firestik makes contact with the tubing.

However, the medium spring makes it easy to bend/zip-tie the Firestik out of the way, if necessary.

I still need to tune the Firestik tip with my SWR meter to finish.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #109

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Roof Light Wiring

10/18/13

With my new order of DR-25 sleeving, I was able to finish my roof light wiring harnesses and install them.

ELS Atlas LED (left) and Rigid Dually harnesses (right).

Roof light switch harness.

ELS Atlas wiring harness routed to back of the roof rack and down...

...through rubber grommet into the rear of cab (driver-side). Drip loop to help prevent water from dripping into the cab through the grommet.

Rigid Dually wiring harness routed across the roof rack and down...

...through rubber grommet into the rear of cab (passenger-side). Drip loop to help prevent water from dripping into the cab through the grommet.

Switches installed into the shifter console (from L-R).

- Blue LED rocker switch = Rigid Dually flood LEDs
- OEM Tacoma rocker switch = ELS Atlas LED
- Red LED rocker switch = Rigid Dually diffused LED

Note: OEM switch is rated for 21A. Round rocker switches are 10A each.

Wiring connected to Blue Sea Systems 5025 and 20A TE micro relay.

ELS Atlas LED on.

All Rigid Duallys on.

Rigid Dually flood LEDs on.

Rigid Dually diffused LED on.

With amber cover on.

Roof lights finally done
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #110

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Infinity Kappa 682.9CF 2-Way Speakers

10/19/13

Swapped out my rear speakers today with Infinity Kappa 6x8"s.

Also added some Elemental Designs eDead 45 sound deadening around each Infinity.

Driver-side.

Looking good behind the grill.

System sounds pretty clean for a budget build. All I need now is a sub.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #111
Purveyor of Useless Info
MedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Paramedic, Certified FFII, Hazmat Ops, Instructor I
Name: Josh
MedicMutt's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I used to work in a shop that outfitted emergency vehicles. My mentor was a radio man that worked off shore, where things absolutely must work. The boss usually wanted us to hurry up and knock things out, but my mentor always insisted on doing it right. Loved that crazy old man.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #112

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMutt View Post
Yeah, I used to work in a shop that outfitted emergency vehicles. My mentor was a radio man that worked off shore, where things absolutely must work. The boss usually wanted us to hurry up and knock things out, but my mentor always insisted on doing it right. Loved that crazy old man.
Your mentor is a wise man!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #113

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Acro Light Wiring

10/21/13

Wiring harness for Acro 55W lights done and installed.

40A relay installed inside the air intake chamber.

Unlike the ELS Atlas and Rigid LEDs, Acros can only be turned on with ignition power on.

Add-A-Circuit (5A fuse) added to the only open Ignition 12V slot inside the dash fuse panel.

OEM Tacoma rocker switches connected to y-adapter for testing. One is for the Acros, the other one will be for the future Ironman4x4 LED.

Acros on.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #114
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
good looking truck
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #115

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
good looking truck
Thanks, TimmyB!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #116

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Under hood and winch LEDs

10/22/13

Some VisionX 1W LED pods were added underneath the hood and inside the front bumper today. I have these same mods on my FJ and they work great and are easy to do.

To protect the wiring from exposure to engine heat and grime, VisionX LED wiring was upgraded with Raychem DR-25 sleeving and marine heat shrink.

To save on wiring and sleeving, both switches are located close to the (engine bay) Blue Sea Systems 5025.

Switch for the winch LED was glued to the front grill.

Switch for the under hood LEDs fit perfectly in the OEM hole with no modification. The rubber bumper prevents activation of the switch when hood is shut.

Two (2) VisionX 1W LED pods spliced together and installed underneath the hood.

Under hood LEDs on.

Winch LED on.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #117

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Kicker Hideaway 11HS8 Compact Powered Sub

10/23/13

Shopping for a sub to finish my "budget" audio system was quite a challenge. Because of the already limited rear cab space, I wasn't willing to sacrifice any of it for a sub box. I still wanted the ability to carry 2 passengers in the rear.

One viable solution is the JL Audio StealthBox, but it's way out of budget. The other solution is a compact powered sub - pricey, but still half the cost of a StealthBox. And unlike the StealthBox, this Kicker hides away underneath most car seats. Sounded like a perfect solution to my needs (even though it cost as much as the rest of my system).

Of course, this adapter is required, but not included (sold separately).

KISL adapter spliced onto the Kicker Hideaway harness.

Kicker Hideaway underneath passenger seat. Unit fits with just enough room to spare.

And leaves just enough room for someone's feet sitting in back.

The lip of the Husky liner had to be trimmed to accommodate the Kicker.

Kicker bass remote installed with 3M VHB tape.

Sub sounds pretty good for its size (8"). Definitely icing on the cake to my system and one more thing off the list
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #118
pathyxd9 is on a distinguished road
Army: Wheeled Vehicle Mech. 91B
Name: Robert
pathyxd9's Tacoma Gallery
This is a beast, cant wait to see it in person, keep it up.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #119
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Great work on the electricals! That area is by far my biggest weakness.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #120

deez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyxd9 View Post
This is a beast, cant wait to see it in person, keep it up.
Thanks, Robert! I'll have to plan another trip to the OC soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Great work on the electricals! That area is by far my biggest weakness.
Thanks, Box Rocket! I was fortunate to have worked in the field for a few years.