"The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper

Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
tstege is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Wildland fire fighter Hotshot Crew
Name: tyler
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
"The Yeti" Utility Camper Shell build 2000 ext cab

2000 TRD ext cab 3.4 V6 5spd manual windows and locks

So this all started out with me owning a green 2wd and I picked this camper shell up and as I tweaked it and customized it I realized I wanted a 4x4 with a V6 so I swapped the camper and battery setup to the new truck. Needless to say I love the truck. I am not 100% sure about the mods that the truck has all I Know is it is locked front and rear. It came with the bumper. I added wheels and camper shell/rack setup and I am loving it. Sleeps 2 people and 2 dogs on the platform or I can take 2 pieces of the platform out leaving the drivers side in and I have a little more headroom and a place to sit up while I am inside.

I purchased the windows on the windoors online and the vent and added those. I also used 1'' insulation to insulate the shell then covered it in fiberglass shower board found at Home Depot (tip when working with it trying to make curves in the ceiling it helps to warm it up I just put the piece I needed bent in the back of the truck with my Heater Buddy on warms right up and is flexible).

I have taken it up to Mammoth twice now and we stay warm just using the heater before bed and when we get up, with good sleeping bags of course. The only thing is I am trying to find a way to hang the heater buddy and make a plate so it does not over heat my roof thinking some metal sheeting might do the trick.

Front and rear lockers w/ cable actuated 4x4

Six-PAC utility camper w/ added windows, roof vent, insulation, dual battery, inverter, mr. heater buddy portable gas heater, and sleeping platform.

I also rhino lined the bed and about 3'' of the rails to keep them protected.

I also added a new black grill and I am thinking of painting the emblem TRD red not sure yet though

TRD black rims and Falken AT's 255/65/R16

Yakima roof rack with wind fairing

Custom bull bar
Attached Thumbnails
"The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0739.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0740.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0738.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0736.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-image.jpg  

"The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0741.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0644.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0646.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0643.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0647.jpg  

"The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0642.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
Having trouble with pics from my phone ill upload more later
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
pictures

I was able to upload a bunch more photos today.

Also I changed my plugs and wires yesterday, added a new all black grill instead of fake chrome, and I installed new weather strips on my windows. The only thing left to do is replace my fuel filter, I started yesterday but I could not unscrew the lines so I need to spray them with WD40 and then try it. My plugs looked pretty old and they were Bosch so I am glad I changed them, and now it seems my idle is a little lower RPM and the truck is smoother idling.

Next up trip to Boulder City, NV for a canoe trip to black canyon and hot springing.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to have a little camper like that for hunting trips!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
Camper

Yeah it works perfect for my needs and I keep it on all of the time. It only weighs about 180-200lbs which is perfect keeping performance. I recently thought about switching to a Callen with a small overhead compartment but can not justify the looks and weight. I searched high and low on CL for this one got it for $200 spent another $600 on it to get it how I wanted it including dual battery and inverter. Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
I would love to have a little camper like that for hunting trips!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Def. get most of my ideas from here, even the bad ones like spending $1200 on new wheels and tires!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
looking good!

fyi, if you don't have a set of line wrenches, you'll need them to remove the fuel filter otherwise you'll round off the fuel line hexes because they're made of very soft metal.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
looking good!

fyi, if you don't have a set of line wrenches, you'll need them to remove the fuel filter otherwise you'll round off the fuel line hexes because they're made of very soft metal.
That explains it. I might just have to let my mechanic do it then, I don't have the proper tools. Thanks for the heads up
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
it's not hard to do and the wrenches are ~ $20-30 for a set

http://www.sears.com/powerbuilt-6401...&blockType=G12
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
it's not hard to do and the wrenches are ~ $20-30 for a set

http://www.sears.com/powerbuilt-6401...&blockType=G12
Cool thanks for the link I will have to pick up a set. I figured it cannot be that hard I just could not get the lines to budge with my normal wrenches and I did not want to do damage. Tyler
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
dog seat

here is a dog seat storage thing I made for my extra cab
Attached Thumbnails
"The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0771.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0772.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0773.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
tstege's Tacoma Gallery
new air filter

I replaced my K&N with a dry filter from AEM roughly the same size and slid right on. So far so good and no oil to mess up my MAF, from what I here its a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
"The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0765.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0766.jpg   "The Yeti" build 2000 ext camper-img_0767.jpg