Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

pick's build - 04 TRD 4x4 XCab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #22
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
Bad ass. One of my favorite 1st gens for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Looks good David. Vaguely familiar.
Thank you both! I've learned a ton from this forum and definitely have had some excellent inspiration!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #23
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd real good lookin' truck! and just a hop, skip & piss away! Hi from a few miles down south
Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Go cougs! I graduated from WSU as well!...
Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet build man!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
Go cougs! I graduated from WSU as well!...
Coug fans are far & few in between on the west side of the mountains. Glad to see another WSU alumni-- Go Cougs!!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
adrenalinejunkie is on a distinguished road
Name: seth
adrenalinejunkie's Tacoma Gallery
sweet truck! i like the coug plate. good to see another coug on here!
*current student
Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful truck man!!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #29

Firefighter:
Winch solenoid relocation and in-cab winch control wiring

I recently installed a Warn M8000. Along with that, I relocated the control box to the engine bay for weather and longevity concerns as well as installed some switches in the cab to control the winch (in addition to the Warn wired remote).

Here's the final product:

Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #30

Firefighter:
Solenoid relocation

Parts
12-15 ft of 2-gauge wire
2 gauge terminals
2 gauge solder slugs
~ 6" of 9/16" heat shrink
Assorted screws

Process
This is pretty straightforward. All we're doing is creating longer cables than the ~16" ones that come with the winch so that we can move the box into the engine bay. The location I choose was 4' away from the winch connections so I used 12' of 2 gauge wire cut into three 4' pieces.

The solder slugs are awesome. Cut the insulation on your wire so that it can slip into the terminal. Place the terminal in the vice and put 1 appropriately-sized solder slug in the end and heat with a propane torch. Once it melts, keep the heat on and push the wire into the terminal until it seats. Remove heat. Allow to cool and slip on heat shrink and apply heat (I use a simple BBQ lighter) until it contracts, sealing the connection.

Mount the box as desired and "connect the dots": A on the solenoid goes to A on the winch, F1 to F1 and F2 to F2.

Easy.

Next post will discuss wiring up the in-cab controls.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #32

Firefighter:
In-cab winch controls

This part is a little more complicated, but it's not too bad. This is a rough guide and I may forget some steps, so attempt at your own risk. Hope this is helpful though!

Here's the end result:

Parts
Crap-ton of 16- or 18-gauge wire
Your desired switches
Female spade connectors (insulated recommended)
Soldering iron/gun
Solder
Heat shrink
Etc.

Process
I used switches from OTRATTW. They look great and are really nice switches. If you're using different switches, you'll have to adjust the wiring appropriately. If you get the same switches as I did, it will wire up as shown above.

I used THIS SWITCH for the winch power switch (the second In/Out switch has no power until this switch is turned on). I am using the simplest SPST switch. Part number V1D1BN0B.

For the second switch, use a DPDT (very important) Momentary On Off On switch. I used THIS ONE. Part number VLD2U66B-00000-000. You need the DPDT because the 5-pin-style Warn winches switch the ground for the In/Out functions and we have to do the same with the in-cab winches.

Notes
OTRATTW wiring diagrams here: V1D1BX0B and VLD2UXXB (or view all)

I spliced my green, white and brown wires by creating a little cut in the insulation and soldering in-line. I prefer solder over a quick connect for longevity, but it accomplishes the same thing. A little electrical tape and a small zip-tie around the solder joint ensures it won't be shorting anything out.

If, after you wire this up and you winch goes In when you push "Out" and Out when you push "In", simply switch the white and green wire into the switch and it will sort it out.

You can combine grounds. I created a ground wire that split into 3 so that I grounded the two pins on the second switch and the LED ground on the first switch with the same wire.

As I said, hopefully this is helpful. Happy to help with any questions...
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #33

Firefighter:
absolutely! i'm hoping to make it out to a NW meet here one of these days when my work schedule finally allows it!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
I put two OTRATTW switches in the same spot, good choice
Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #36
CLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the rough

Name: Garrett
CLOUDL1GHT's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck
I was wondering how those 4.88's were treating you?? Bout to regear mine and was looking for some input
Old 11-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #37

x2 wondering how that feels with your 285s and... manual transmission?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #38
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOUDL1GHT View Post
nice truck
I was wondering how those 4.88's were treating you?? Bout to regear mine and was looking for some input
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
x2 wondering how that feels with your 285s and... manual transmission?
IMO, 4.88s with an auto is the perfect combination. The power and throttle response is back to where it was with 31's and no extra armor and winch weight.

The gearing in the 5-speed is a little different from the auto and also, 285/75-16s are a tad smaller than 33x12.5-15s or 33x10.5-15s so your highway RPMs might be a little higher than mine. At 70 mph I am right at 2500 rpm.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
IMO, 4.88s with an auto is the perfect combination. The power and throttle response is back to where it was with 31's and no extra armor and winch weight.

The gearing in the 5-speed is a little different from the auto and also, 285/75-16s are a tad smaller than 33x12.5-15s or 33x10.5-15s so your highway RPMs might be a little higher than mine. At 70 mph I am right at 2500 rpm.
Whoops, I didn't see that he has an auto.
Agreed that 4.88s w/ an auto is the way to go... if it's a 5-speed then 4.56 takes the cake
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Great build sir. So great I might have to steal some ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
Whoops, I didn't see that he has an auto.
Agreed that 4.88s w/ an auto is the way to go... if it's a 5-speed then 4.56 takes the cake
And now for the (sorry but I have to know) if you go 4.56s, what speedo gear would you need? And where do you get a speedo gear? The stealer ship?

Products Discussed in this Thread