Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

pick's build - 04 TRD 4x4 XCab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman90 View Post
Great build sir. So great I might have to steal some ideas

And now for the if you go 4.56s, what speedo gear would you need? And where do you get a speedo gear? The stealer ship?
How bout just get an UltraGauge

jk.....
I'm sure David will chime in since he probably compared the 2 gear options & the speedos a little bit
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
How bout just get an UltraGauge

jk.....
I'm sure David will chime in since he probably compared the 2 gear options & the speedos a little bit
But my OCD man, it's killing me lol I probably will but just so they're the same
Old 11-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #43
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i'm an automatic with 4.88s. from what i hear, 4.56s are the way to go with 285s and the 5-speed. i'm a huge fan of the 4.88s with 285 tires on the auto though. very peppy -- feels a tad more torquey than stock.

i ended up with a 33-tooth speedo gear. got it from the dealership. they had a hell of a time finding the right one. i think we got the 31-tooth first and had to go back to the drawing board to get the correct part. super simple job to get it installed and now my speedo reads about 1-2mph high at 70mph, verified by gps.

edit: i'm at ~2200-2300 rpms at 60mph. feels very nice. between olympia and vancouver where i-5 is 70mph, i cruise around 74mph which works out to about 2500rpm. still get 18mpg.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
CLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the rough

Name: Garrett
CLOUDL1GHT's Tacoma Gallery
now I know for a fact that I'm getting 4.88 just ordered them
Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
i'm an automatic with 4.88s. from what i hear, 4.56s are the way to go with 285s and the 5-speed. i'm a huge fan of the 4.88s with 285 tires on the auto though. very peppy -- feels a tad more torquey than stock.

i ended up with a 33-tooth speedo gear. got it from the dealership. they had a hell of a time finding the right one. i think we got the 31-tooth first and had to go back to the drawing board to get the correct part. super simple job to get it installed and now my speedo reads about 1-2mph high at 70mph, verified by gps.

edit: i'm at ~2200-2300 rpms at 60mph. feels very nice. between olympia and vancouver where i-5 is 70mph, i cruise around 74mph which works out to about 2500rpm. still get 18mpg.
Thank you sir. Again, such a nice and clean build
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
CLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the rough

Well I got my gears and install kits from ECGS and they sent me 4.56 instead of 4.88 so now I have to send them an email and wait another week
Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #48
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOUDL1GHT View Post
Well I got my gears and install kits from ECGS and they sent me 4.56 instead of 4.88 so now I have to send them an email and wait another week
Ahh bummer! That sucks. Worth the wait though. Are you doing the install yourself?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #49
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOUDL1GHT View Post
Wah wah wah waaaaaah

That really sucks though
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #50

^^^ and no I'm not doing it myself. I wish I could but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #51

Firefighter:
i hear ya. some things are best left to the pros. i had a shop over in cashmere, wa do my regearing. i'll do almost anything else myself, but diving into differentials doesn't appeal to me in the slightest haha!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #52

x2. what did labor cost if you don't mind me asking, or a rough estimate of what it "might cost"
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #53

Firefighter:
sure, i paid $2k even out-the-door for parts and labor, front and rear differentials regeared to 4.88s. that total was almost split evenly between parts and labor, if i recall correctly, and included some additional machining they had to do.

the shop was "just differentials" over in cashmere. great customer service and very well versed in toyota applications.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #54

Quote:
sure, i paid $2k even out-the-door for parts and labor, front and rear differentials regeared to 4.88s. that total was almost split evenly between parts and labor, if i recall correctly, and included some additional machining they had to do.

the shop was "just differentials" over in cashmere. great customer service and very well versed in toyota applications.
AWESOME.

....daaaaaaaaaaamn so many suspension mods I want all of a sudden
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #55
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #56
tClay07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
tClay07's Tacoma Gallery
What did you paint the chrome around the grill with? Or is it powder coated?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #57

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tClay07 View Post
What did you paint the chrome around the grill with? Or is it powder coated?
It's actually just a new black grill from eBay. Cost $40.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #58
02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
02 TRD Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
AWESOME.

....daaaaaaaaaaamn so many suspension mods I want all of a sudden
i was asking guys on here what would be the best gears i should go with but dont know. they say either 4.56 or 4.88. and damn if that aint a lot of $$$ to pay to have the truck regeared. hahaha by the way man u got a sick ass truck. cant go wrong with the red and black theme.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #59

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 TRD Tacoma View Post
i was asking guys on here what would be the best gears i should go with but dont know. they say either 4.56 or 4.88. and damn if that aint a lot of $$$ to pay to have the truck regeared. hahaha by the way man u got a sick ass truck. cant go wrong with the red and black theme.
Are you 5sp or auto? What size tire are you running or planning on running? I'm running 4.88s with my 285/75r16 tires and automatic transmission and have been very happy.

With 5sp and 285s, I'd go with 4.56, but if you've got an auto I'd go with the 4.88s.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #60
02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
02 TRD Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you 5sp or auto? What size tire are you running or planning on running? I'm running 4.88s with my 285/75r16 tires and automatic transmission and have been very happy.

With 5sp and 285s, I'd go with 4.56, but if you've got an auto I'd go with the 4.88s.
I've got 285/75/16s I'm running and it's an automatic. What's the difference between the 2. I mean 4.56 or 4.88? Some people tell me I could run either one. But I want be getting something like this for a long time even if I decide too. Got to wait till I get into my field and then start making the money. Working part time has got me a long way with the truck so far but now got to save back up for major mods like that. Haha!!

Products Discussed in this Thread