Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

pick's build - 04 TRD 4x4 XCab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #61
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with 4.88s when the time comes if you plan on running 285s for the foreseeable future. 4.56s will improve your performance, but the 4.88s give you that little extra something to turn those heavier tires and overcome the extra wind resistance with a lift. the difference in RPMs is only about 200-300 in OD, so really not a big deal.

the way i look at it, might as well go with the bigger difference if you're in there spending all that coin on it!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #62
02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
02 TRD Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's hard not to spend on the truck. I just got a rear swing out so the regearing will have to wait till I go to work for 5 he sheriff's department. But like u said if ur going to regear get the best one not saying 4.56s r not good but if 4.88s r better why not go with them. But the regearing is suppose to help for running 285s and help power? Is that right or what?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #63
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
you got it! 4.56s have their place, and if i was a 5-speed, i'd probably have gone with those. but with the automatic and 285s, the 4.88s are a perfect match. brings back the power and torque lost due to the larger diameter tires. and with the 4.88s, it gives you an extra little something down low since it's geared slightly more aggressively than stock.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #64

Firefighter:
URD idler pulley installed today. took about 15 minutes. mmmm anodized red....

Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #66

Firefighter:
Haha you know it!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #67

Firefighter:
well, it started again two days ago -- the dreaded clanking/creaking from a failing carrier bearing. the OEM one went out back in Jan/Feb of this year. replaced with an "el cheapo" Dorman from Rock Auto for $40. Lasted about 15k miles.

Just ordered up a "wookie strength" carrier. Should be here Thursday. Will post up with findings/report.

EDIT (01/04/2013): I don't believe the "Wookie Strength" carrier bearing to be a viable solution for a daily driven vehicle. Speeds up to ~40mph were fine, but anything above that was accompanied by a heavy mechanical whirring noise and tremendous cyclical vibrations from the hard-mounted bearing. Would be a fine mod for a dedicated trail rig though.

In other news, anyone want a high-RPM pillow block bearing with only 5 miles on it???
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #68
Jareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jared
Jareds Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Never seen this truck before... How about you hand over those 285s.. And that burton custom
Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #69

Firefighter:
you're gonna have to negotiate harder than that, young padawan!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #70
Jareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedJareds Toyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jared
Jareds Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Lets go snowboarding!!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #71

Firefighter:
Had a little adventure weekend down in central Oregon a few days ago. Did some camping, some snowshoeing, exploring, offroading.... good stuff!

Camping at the cabin on Yamsay Mountain. That's my buddy's new 2014 DCLB Sport Tacoma behind mine. Hell of a truck!

Getting some winch experience:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #72

Firefighter:
This is my bedrack design for my soon-to-be-ordered RTT! Planning on fabbing it up Saturday (will post actual pics then). The majority of the bedrack will be 1"x1" steel tube, with the angled legs as 2"x1" rectangle tube. 1.5" angle iron will hold the legs in place and to the bedrails. Should weigh about 55 lbs all said and done, according to my calculations.

I wish I had and knew how to use a CAD program, but I had to make do with Photoshop haha.

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, tips, ideas are more than welcome!

Bird's-eye view (the white part is the bed space, the dark gray rectangle is the RTT outline):

Side view from the tailgate looking forward (white area is the top of the bed rails to the top of the Cab):
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #74
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a well thought out plan. I think it is a good idea to keep the top of the RTT out of the wind. Mine is pretty close to what you are planning and I found the aero and mpgs were not negatively impacted. And there is still plenty of room for storage below the rack. Can't wait to see it in action.

Which tent are you planning on getting?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #75

Firefighter:
Thanks! Yeah, the tent will only stick up about 2-3 inches above the cab... I'm trying to balance the wind protection and lower center of gravity while getting the most out of having it up and out of the way for bed storage.

I'm looking at the CVT Mt. Bachelor or Tepui Kukenam (Ruggedized). Most likely it'll be the CVT though since I have friends in Bend and can use it as a good excuse to head down and see them while picking it up. Plus it sounds like the discount will likely be better with the CVT (if last year was any indication).
Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #77

Firefighter:
Awesome! Sounds about right. Thanks for your input! I'm really stoked to be getting an RTT finally. Been eying em for a long time now...
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #79

Firefighter:
you have any pics of your rack setup?

Products Discussed in this Thread