Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build

Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
taylorf16 will become famous soon enough

Name: Noah
taylorf16's Tacoma Gallery
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build

Once upon a time, I fell into an 05 Access Cab. The truck was great, but it just wasn't big enough for my family and my planning of road trips. I found a guy that had a shell of a 2002 Double Cab, with a partial SAS completed. No engine, trans, wiring, interior, and No idea how I was going to finish this thing. - No experience with solid axle trucks.
I ended up trading him him my salvage titled 05 for his salvage titled 02 and an 03 ext cab donor truck that had been rolled.

The day I brought her home -
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2955.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2954.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #2

The donor -
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2960.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

Fuel lines, tanks, and eval

This was the only vehicle I had now so it was crunch time to get this thing done as fast as possible. My friend let me borrow his truck in the mean time, but I don't like driving other people's trucks.

I found out right away that the 02 evap stuff is by the firewall and the 03 evap stuff is back by the fuel tank. SHIT!!

the fuel lines were also different, as were the tanks and pumps.. I had to swap the fuel lines and hook up all the evap garbage behind the tank - luckily there was only about 1/4 tank on each of the trucks
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2965.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Engine

I pulled the engine out of the donor on the first day I had her. Brought with it the trans and t case.
This double cab / pre runner / auto / sas was about to get a 5 speed!

Also brought with it the entire wiring harness. Engine harness, cab harness, and every wire with it including all wiring back to the e-locker
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2974.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

Chevy 63 Springs

Went to the junk yard and found a gem. Some Chevy 63 springs out of a 97 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive. All the other springs I found were rusty and the bolts were tough to get out... These came out with ease and for $46 bucks, I was into some new springs.

I already had the bed off for the fuel lines and gas tank. The gas tank was removed for welding.

Swung by Midnight 4x4 here in Salt Lake for some perches and shackles.

Went to work cutting the old mounts off.

Had a buddy help me put the springs back up..

Also, since everything was off, I figured I would sand down the frame and see what kind of rust I was into..
NO RUST AT ALL!! Everyone agrees, this is one of the cleanest 1st gen tacos they'd ever seen. painted on some POR15 and sprayed the whole frame with rubberized undercoating.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2992.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2993.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2994.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3007.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Nice truck is gunna be sweet when your done
That was the motivation for getting it going so fast.. Couldn't wait to see it move and drive.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Electrical

Oh the electrical.. Once the engine was in and the engine harness setup, i had to tackle the interior wiring.

Ohhhh what a mess. Also had to route the wiring back to the fuel tank and evap garbage.

Biggest issue was the wiring harness was from an extended cab, and mine is a double cab.. So there aren't any plugs or wires to go to the back doors other than speaker wire... I haven't gotten to them yet, but I plan on running window and lock power to the back doors, as well as running speaker wire from the stereo to the rear speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2980.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Clutch conversion

Sine I was all up in the firewall/dash, I figured this would be a good time to swap pedals, and setup the clutch...
First, remove big auto brake pedal. Couple bolts and a clevis pin.
Second, drill hold for clutch MC. 2 bolt holes and big center hole for plunger.
Third, attach clutch pedal and install MC. Couple bolts and clevis pin. Tadaa!!

I also gooped the hell out of it so I don't get any water leaks through the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2982.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_2983.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Excited to see the turnout
Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #11

Shock Hoops

Welded on some Trail Gear shock hoops. $50 or so..

Also installed some pro comp ES3000 shocks..
I wanted a softer shock because I'll be driving long distances a lot and don't want to feel like I'm riding on bricks. There isn't an issue with body roll or anything because of the leaf springs.

Got the hops from Low Range Off Road in Orem.
I had to get the pro comps from Jack-It in Salt Lake. - I don't recommend these guys at all. Every time I go in there, it seems like I'm a huge inconvenience, and just wasting their time trying to buy parts from them.
Lesson learned - I'll take my business elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3015.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3016.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

Front Axle

Ok. So eventually I had to figure out this axle situation.

I found out the axle is a Dana 44 out of a 78 Jeep Wagoneer with 4.11 gears.
The front springs are Tuff Country mini truck 3" lift springs with a 325 spring rate. The perches need to be rewelded as it's been sitting forever, and some of the welds are iffy

I snagged some hubs and shafts from an 80s 1/2 ton chevy..
Bought new calipers, rotors, brake pads, and u joints from Oreilly's _ $120 or so

The Chevy also had some Warn hubs, so I reinstalled those.

Also, picked up some shock mounts from JC at Midnight 4x4 at 11:00pm!

If you guys need an awesome guy to get parts from, go talk to JC at Midnight 4x4. He's pretty much the best parts store I've ever dealt with. Very impressed with his customer service - I called him at 11:00pm to see if I could swap some parts I'd ordered from him earlier in the day... He said sure, I'll meet you there in 10 minutes. How awesome is that!?!? Customer for life!

The next day, I took him my new tie rod ends, and measurements for drag link. He cut a sweet piece of DOM and weld in inserts, set me all up to just do the welding, and everything worked perfect!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #14

Wrap up

Hooked up Interior parts
Bolted in seats
Hooked up steering wheel to steering box
Hooked up drive shaft
Hooked up Cross member / skid plate
Finished drag link hookup and adjustment - This thing is massive!

Brake lines. Had to go to House of Hose to get some toyota to chevy flare fittings changed.. Their brake machine is broke so I had to go to Evco. Evco sucks.. nickel and dime you for everything.. $42 later, I had 1 30 inch brake line. House of Hose guy didn't even charge me for 2 flare fittings.. I'll be a house of hose customer forever.

Once I had brakes, I had to take her for a spin.. It was 2am
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3079.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3086.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3101.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3103.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

Driving

The next day, I wanted to drive it home.

I went to get my temporary registration, and get it out.

I picked it up Tuesday February 26, and finished it on Tuesday March 12.

2 Weeks of git er dun building and now its drivable.. There are still a few things to do, bu I can get it to pass safety and finished them along the way.

This is how it sits today.. I still need to get different wheels and tires. These rub at full crank so they won't work.

I also took it on the freeway.. at 70 it drives straight, doesn't wobble, and actually rides pretty smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3105.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3103.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3096.jpg   The Heep of Toyota-Rolet super fast git-er-dun build-img_3106.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Damn you work quick!

Check out the local Utah thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...bs-thread.html

Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #17

Rare build

Specs:
2002 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner
3.4 V6 out of 2003 Tacoma Extended Cab
5-speed Manual Swap
Solid Axle out of 78 Jeep Wagoneer
Hubs, Spindles, Brakes, Rotors off 82 Chevy 1/2 Ton
Chevy 63 Rear Leafs
E-Locker rear axle
Grey Wire Mod
Radiator from 96 Tacoma 2wd with 2.4 4 cylinder (18 3/4 in core)

If you guys want to know anything more in depth on any of the parts/issues I ran into, feel free to add to this post, or PM me.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Damn you work quick!

Check out the local Utah thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...bs-thread.html

I've talked with a couple guys on there and was actually going to hit 5 mile when I had my access cab, but I was too late.... I want to get my rims/tires and finish a couple interior pieces, then I'll hit up some trails... I haven't seen any meetups other than wheeling, so I have to wait until I get everything in order..
Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that's quite the....spoon full!!!! How's the truck still treating ya?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job! How'd you come across the shell? I'm starting to want to do a 4 doorbcab swap on my rig...