1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Build, 1st Gen Some mods

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Project02, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    Project02

Project02 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Galilee, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Base
    Cooper Discoverys Cherry Bomb Led Shift light Floor Led K&N Filter Custom Intake Deck Plate Mod Alpine Headunit
    This is my 2002 tacoma the day i picked her up, she has the toyota recall, with a new frame, new suspension, brake lines, and fuel lines. She was bone stock, and a old man owned her before me. i have all the papers leading up to the day i bought it of all the fluid changes and maintance done to it.
    day.jpg
    image[4].jpg

Then i did the Deck Plate mod and put in a k&n Filter "Dry Flow Filter Coming soon!!!" and built a custom intake tube and color matched it

Intake.jpg

Washed and gave her a good wax

image[1].jpg

After that i installed some new 31 inch Discoverey At's and painted the wheels black
    Tires.jpg
    tacoma.jpg

Getting some wood
    image[3].jpg

First Race day of the year
    image[2].jpg

More Mods to Come!

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    PRBond

PRBond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    3" ToyTec suspension kit, AEM Air Intake, Uniden 510 CB, 265 X 75 X 16 BFG AT's
    Hey James, welcome to TW!

That's a nice, clean Tacoma you've got there. What mods are you doing next? It might not be a bad idea to get a set of sliders since you're taking it off road.

Good Luck!

3. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    Project02

Project02 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Galilee, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Base
    Cooper Discoverys Cherry Bomb Led Shift light Floor Led K&N Filter Custom Intake Deck Plate Mod Alpine Headunit
    I am looking into those sliders, but I want to get some 5100 shocks, but do I have to run lift springs on the front, or can I run the stock or oem length springs? Also looking to run a bigger wheel this summer and do a different exhaust, have any preferences on the 2.7l I was thinking a super 44 and figure out a side pipe. Lastly I want to replace the bench with some buckets and build a stereo, I build custom sub boxes in my spare time and want to do a custom fiberglass one inbetween the seats. The reason I haven't done all this yet is cause I'm a full time student and also work a full time job. I commute everyday so it's a killer on gas but I am getting about 23mpg atleast. Hav one more question there is a hidden beast on the drivers bedside tho. At the center the center of the wheel well just a bit of rust is starting to show :( l looks like some has tried to fix it but did a terrible job.
    image.jpg
    See it there I hate it!!!

4. Apr 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Hmmm, looking at the first pic, I sure wish we had those gas prices here in Cali!:rolleyes:

Nice truck & welcome to the forums!:)

5. Apr 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    History

History Active Member

Member:
    Well the gas is high and taxes are the highest , you have to watch vagrants on the road like we watch for deer here, english is the 2nd language . That being said I hate you west coast guys with your beautiful views , four seasons at one time, Wonderful places for four wheel recreation, no rust on your vehicles EVER!, 0% humidity, no rain to speak of, three growing seasons (Salinas Valley). I could go on and on,,,. You guys make me sick!

My wife and I got married in Tahoe, rented a car, down donner to San Fran, up the coast on hi-way one ,flew back to the land of humidity out of Seattle. I love it out there.

We went back last year after fifteen years (waited till the kids got old enough not to fight so much) ( boy and girl age 11-13). We flew into Portland this time , went up to St Helens and then headed south on hi-way one. We back tracked to Tahoe but didnt stop our trip there. We went to Carson Down to lake Mono Lake , we turned west through Yosemitie. OMG that is the most awesome place I have ever been. Got to Glacier Point at sunset and there was a full moon and no clouds, it was unreal. Went to Fresno that night , next morning back up in the mountains to see the General Sherman. (I was in the tree business for twenty years , mostly climbing them). If any of you work with trees in any way you need to go see these trees and dont forget the Coastal Redwoods . We dropped around the bottom side and turned north back toward Lake Mono, turned right through Death Valley ( early June) , it was really good weather . I loved Death Valley. We wound the trip down at Vegas and flew back to Humidity.

I would move out there, Az Nm Ut Ca somewhere , but wife has dry elbows and feet:eek:. I hate you guys!

6. Apr 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    Project02

Project02 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Galilee, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Base
    Thanks monoman! What's gas like out there I'm from pa. What you guys pay for in gas we pay for in salt and corrosion... :( I hate salt but does anyone know where I could get fender flares for my truck cheap, like OEM ones. I think they will hide that spot.

7. Apr 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    sbsurfer

sbsurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Reg Cab 4x4 4cyl 5spd
    First off...cool truck. I just picked up a 2000 regular cab and am slowly modding it up, good to see another regular cab going thru the same.

Unfortunately, I live in would be the Hamptons of the West Coast...Montecito, where Oprah lives :(

Right now the station down the street is $4.23 for 87. A few exits down the freeway and it drops to $4.09.

History..you're right about the high gas prices and highest taxes (not to mention stupid gun laws)...but you're also right about the seasons, no rust and awesome places to wheel. I've had days where i surfed in the morning and had snowball fights that same afternoon. It's a great place to be but has it's prices as well.

8. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    History

History Active Member

Member:
    I think it was in Yosemite, we didnt pay the price but did take a picture (wife has it somewhere)gas was over five dollars a gallon.

I drove a truck years ago and ran to the west coast every week, I quit about the time there were so many shootings on the interstate around LA. It's not hard to understand in that kind of traffic why.

I do have a love hate relationship with that state. It's so beautiful ,, I want to say maybe the best state (for me) of all the states I have been in but the political world there is ridiculous with the stupid taxes and gun laws. (I'll stop on the politics now) If you can take it there I dont blame you, I think about it often.

(

9. Apr 9, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    Project02

Project02 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Galilee, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Base
    thanks Sbsurfer. What all do you have done to yours?

10. Apr 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    sbsurfer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So far i have bought new black steelies and new tires, blacked out the chrome grill and chrome bumper, put a shell on it and yesterday I ordered the Toytech Ultimate lift for it...hoping to get that installed over the weekend. I was planning on leaving it pretty stock til I found out about Tacomaworld, then plans changed :D

11. Apr 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    Project02

Project02 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Galilee, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Base
    I want that lift also but being a full time student and work full time leaves me with no extra money and no time :( but that's awesome once you get the lift on post a picture I want to see how that lift looks. I really want to get some new 10 in wide rims these stock ones are getting boring!! Also I need a rear bumper bad!!!! When I bought it it looked fine like no rust nothing, well turns out it's all rust bondo'd over. We were loading bikes and my friend took a step and crack snap and pop it gave way. :( next weekend I'm going to take my exhaust off and put my thrush welded on it and fix a leak that I found :)

12. Apr 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    sbsurfer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'll definitely post up some pics when i get the lift on. I feel ya about the budget thing man...i was in college 10 years ago and no money for anything, but that college degree helped get me a job that now affords plenty of toys :)

Bummer about the bondo thing, that stuff hides alot. My first car at 15 was a 66 chevelle with no motor or tranny, i bought the body thinking it was in good shape. I went to sand the entire car down to bare metal for a good paint job and found the rear fender had been damaged and all they did was screw a piece of sheetmetal to the lower rocker and bondo the crap out of it. First big lesson in body work for me, i had to replace both rear quarter panels.

You can probably find a bumper and some wheels on craigslist for a decent price....i actually dig your stockers painted black though.

13. Apr 3, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    12ozcurls

12ozcurls Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Monterey Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 3RZ-FE
    ToyTec 3" coilovers, 3" OME Dakar leaf springs, Light Racing UCA, LC Engineering Long-tube headers, Deck-plate mod, K&N rock and stick filter, SiriusLED headlights.
    Sorry bout the thread revival. Loving the look of your intake tubing, can you share where you bought the parts for it? I'm looking to do the same thing. I hate the ribbed rubber tube.

Products Discussed in

To Top