LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

BigOly's 2004 TRD DC "CARGO" build, A New Journey Begins

Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #121
izzan67 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 17 MUNS/Pro Super
izzan67's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I wanted to see what they looked compared to the stock tires. They do take up more room
Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #122
vanhornsky is on a distinguished road

vanhornsky's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good just got done reading your build. keep up the good work.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #123
BigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud of

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
New family vehicle and a Toyota AT fluid drain and fill for Cargo

Haven't had much time to mod Cargo cause the past few weeks the wife moved out of an older Sienna minivan into a -new to us- 2010 Blizzard Pearl Highlander Hybrid (HiHy)

Let me tell you this "SUV like" hybrid is FAST! I was able to get from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds with all 2 electric motors and a gas engine. This was not what I was expecting out of a hybrid!

Front shot of our newly acquired HiHy:

sportin 19 inch wheels:

Blue tint lens (hybrid style):

Wannabe Prius badge:

I don't have to hide my face anymore while driving. LoL!

OK, so back to Cargo...

Today I did a long overdue drain and fill using 4 quarts of genuine Toyota fluid that I bought online for decent price..

Draining the nasty ATF:

Wow, looks like a dirty brownish clay color :

It's super hot in Cali right now so I'm gonna delay my transmission cooler install for another weekend. That will give me another 4 quart round of another ATF drain and fill.

Time to watch some fireworks! Happy 4th everyone!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #124
BigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud ofBigOly has much to be proud of

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhornsky View Post
Looking good just got done reading your build. keep up the good work.
Thanks man! Hope you and everyone here have a happy 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #125
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
Haven't had much time to mod Cargo cause the past few weeks the wife moved out of an older Sienna minivan into a -new to us- 2010 Blizzard Pearl Highlander Hybrid (HiHy)

Let me tell you this "SUV like" hybrid is FAST! I was able to get from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds with all 2 electric motors and a gas engine. This was not what I was expecting out of a hybrid!

We have a 2006 Highlander Hybrid with the All Wheel Drive, and they are quick, the dual electric motors on the AWD models (only one electric motor on rear axle on the 2WD models) provide all kinds of torque to get you going fast. My brother who used to be the sales manager at a couple of Toyota Dealerships said they would sell the AWD models all the time to folks that wanted the speed more than anything else...pretty funny to think about getting a hybrid for speed... but they do go.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #126

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
B&M 70264 trasmission cooler installed!

Sorry for the lack of updates, It's been awhile. I've been adding one too many mods on our new HiHy so had to give Cargo some needed love. I finished removing the front OEM grill, repositioned the front AC line, and relocate one of the horns in order to mounted a new B&M 70264 SuperCooler automatic transmission cooler to Cargo. I chose to bypass the radiator's built in trans cooler to avoid the dreaded "Pink Milkshake" that seems to be a common issue with the 3rd gen 4runners, but less with the 1st gen tacos. I'm not taking any chances with my beloved taco considering the cooling system is factory original and has been running flawless over the 100K mile mark. Google "pink milkshake" and you will see why I was so anxious to do this mod from the get go. Something to note, I needed some extra transmission hose since the hose supplied with the B&M wasn't enough. Make sure you use transmission hose and not fuel hose, they have different pressure ratings!

The B&M 70264 is rated at 14,400 BTU and pressure tested to 200 PSI. The really great feature about this cooler verses others on the market is that this unit SELF REGULATES ITSELF! This is great cause when its freakin cold outside, the ATF bypasses the cooler and warms up the engine faster. If you are in cold climates this is a must! Product description from B&M: "The B&M 70264 unit monitors resistance to flow by allowing a controlled amount of ATF to pass through a self-regulating orifice. Controlled by viscosity, thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two bypass openings in the stacked plate core, while thinner ATF is directed through the core to cool as operating temperatures increase."

After taking off the grill, notice the AC line behind the center spring support tower.

unbolted the support tower

carefully repositioned the AC line to the front (ac line has a nice gap from the support tower).

Test fit the cooler into position (like a glove!)

Unbolted the 4 screws that shield and surround the fan so I could route some specialized zip ties from the radiator side (B&M's instructions is to use the zip ties for best performance, I have read that allows the stock radiator fan to pull enough air through the cooler to keep the trans fluid cool. Leaving a gap between the cooler and ac condenser using metal brackets is not optimal)

View from the AC condenser side

Used the foam between the AC condenser and the cooler to avoid any rubbing

Here's a shot of the foam installed

Shot of the complete zip tie mount in all it's glory

Routed the transmission lines through the same factory hole where the AC lines get routed, used the factory rubber protectors from the old transmission lines to protect the new ones.

Transmission lines installed to cooler

Grill back on, no interference, clean install, time to get a cool drink and prepare for another transmission oil drain and fill and call it a day.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #127

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFaust View Post
We have a 2006 Highlander Hybrid with the All Wheel Drive, and they are quick, the dual electric motors on the AWD models (only one electric motor on rear axle on the 2WD models) provide all kinds of torque to get you going fast. My brother who used to be the sales manager at a couple of Toyota Dealerships said they would sell the AWD models all the time to folks that wanted the speed more than anything else...pretty funny to think about getting a hybrid for speed... but they do go.
Yes, crazy huh? This puppy has two electric motors and never thought a hybrid of this size could have so much power! It's really nice to zip on the freeway with no worries!!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #128

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
awesome BAMF parts for future install!

Stopped by the BAMF shop after work and picked up some AWESOME parts from the GB deal. Even though I wasn't planning on installing these parts right away it was too hard to resist a BAMF GB deal!

BAMF 1st gen light bar

BAMF BPV Relocate Bracket

BAMF 1st gen CB Mount
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #129
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stopped by the BAMF shop after work and picked up some AWESOME parts from the GB deal. Even though I wasn't planning on installing these parts right away it was too hard to resist a BAMF GB deal!

BAMF 1st gen light bar

BAMF BPV Relocate Bracket

BAMF 1st gen CB Mount
You will love the antenna mount. Mine fit perfectly! No tweaking or adjustment at all. And it looks so clean!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #130

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
You will love the antenna mount. Mine fit perfectly! No tweaking or adjustment at all. And it looks so clean!
Actually it was one of your posts not long ago of your nice pictorial mount install *nicely done* that reminded me to check up with Jerry to see if my goods were ready for pickup. Your pics have got me extra motivated to begin shopping for the wiring and antenna.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #131
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually it was one of your posts not long ago of your nice pictorial mount install *nicely done* that reminded me to check up with Jerry to see if my goods were ready for pickup. Your pics have got me extra motivated to begin shopping for the wiring and antenna.
I had a hiccup in my cb install. I originally purchased a Cobra 19dxiv. I noticed right from the beginning the volume was low. Even before I had it in its final spot (ashtray location)
After bench testing it, it started smoking pretty bad. I opened the cover and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I never found an issue but I knew for sure there was something wonky with the speaker and its lack of volume.

So I promptly returned it (Ebay through Amazon...go figure) and I have since been refunded my money.

I did find a local cb shop that has a few Uniden 520xl's in stock. I plan on picking up one today. Albeit a bit more pricey ($68) but at least if I have another issue, I can get it quickly resolved
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #133
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 CC
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Latest interior mod for Cargo-

Well I finally decided to go all black ops style with the green theme since it's the most pleasant for my eyes at night and I really miss having the green color when I owned a 3rd gen 4runner:

UPDATE:

Swapped the incandescent bulbs from the HVAC with some nice LED ones I got from vleds.com. Much richer color:
First, I want to start out by saying that you have a very nice truck. I like your mods thus far and look forward to seeing more updated posts. Second, this may be a stupid question but how do you change your dash lights. Mine are almost all blown out and i really like what you did. Cost, Time, ect...
Attached Thumbnails
BigOly's 2004 TRD DC "CARGO" build, A New Journey Begins-20131211_121022.jpg   BigOly's 2004 TRD DC "CARGO" build, A New Journey Begins-20131219_120254.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #134

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
First, I want to start out by saying that you have a very nice truck. I like your mods thus far and look forward to seeing more updated posts. Second, this may be a stupid question but how do you change your dash lights. Mine are almost all blown out and i really like what you did. Cost, Time, ect...
Thanks stitch! I apologize for the lack of updates, been so busy with work and trying to keep up raising kids that my rig is turning out to be more of a commuter rig then a trail rig

I did buy some extra goodies for my trusty Cargo, I just haven't had time to post them up, hopefully later this month I'll updated this build with some pics.

I remember following a excellent writeup off customtacos to get to the back of my gauge cluster in order to "twist and swap" to LEDS: HERE

I forgot the LED part #'s off the top of my head, I think I found the #'s : HERE

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction! Good looking taco you have in your possession! Take good care of it and it will last you forever!!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #135

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Hey BigOly, Thanks for your info and pics of your BAMF sliders. I got mine last Monday, primed and painted, and installed last weekend. Love them!!
That's great to hear! Jerry's products are top notch and high quality!! Much love for BAMF!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #136
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks stitch! I apologize for the lack of updates, been so busy with work and trying to keep up raising kids that my rig is turning out to be more of a commuter rig then a trail rig

I did buy some extra goodies for my trusty Cargo, I just haven't had time to post them up, hopefully later this month I'll updated this build with some pics.

I remember following a excellent writeup off customtacos to get to the back of my gauge cluster in order to "twist and swap" to LEDS: HERE

I forgot the LED part #'s off the top of my head, I think I found the #'s : HERE

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction! Good looking taco you have in your possession! Take good care of it and it will last you forever!!
Believe me, i fully understand about a build being put on hold for family. I have had my taco for almost 5 years now and nothing has been don besides the camper topper. Finally however, it gets paid off next month so woop woop for that. After i get back from going over seas i am dropping about 2.5k on the truck. Finally!!! but thank you so so very much for your response and for the information. Once i find the SN for the LEDs than i will install them and post how they look. Good luck on your build and again thank you.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #137
PreRunner

stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Hey bigoly, thanks for the link for the cluster light change. I couldnt wait for the LEDs so I put in some blue bulbs. Not impressed with the brightness so I will be replacing them soon. Thanks again fod your help.
Attached Thumbnails
BigOly's 2004 TRD DC "CARGO" build, A New Journey Begins-20140119_183050.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #138

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Slider adapter and hi-lift goodies for Cargo

Planning on doing my first round of tire rotations later this afternoon -I can't fathom dropping cash to have someone else do my rotations, unless you have a bad back or don't want to get your hands dirty, this task is not rocket science lol -

Purchased an awesome hi-lift 60" x-treme version (omg this thing is heavy) with a base and plastic rattle holder gizmo. Also purchase a sweet (but a bit expensive) non-brand hi-lift slider adapter, off amazon prime (via third party) of all places, already powder coated with attachment pin, perfect to clamp to my BAMF sliders and give Cargo a lift while I perform the tire rotations. Hope to have some pics of cargo hi-lifted with the slider adapter.

Here's a showcase of the goods I've recently acquired:

Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #139

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
Hey bigoly, thanks for the link for the cluster light change. I couldnt wait for the LEDs so I put in some blue bulbs. Not impressed with the brightness so I will be replacing them soon. Thanks again fod your help.
No problem! Glad you were able to get a crack at it!

Products Discussed in this Thread