Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Baka's 1998 Build

Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #101
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
Taco No Baka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw.grey View Post
wo0w! that looks crazy good! Im glad it all worked out for ya! Now time to go sling some mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
That green really sets the whole thing off. Awesome rig dude.

Thanks guys! The OD green did come out a lot better than even I had imagined. I'm really happy with it. Can't wait to hit some trails with it.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #102
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Thomas
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Lee
Removing the fender well bolts is all that's needed in the rear...I too had to remove mine because they we're cutting into my tires ....other option if you still rub hard, is to loosen bed bolts and bump the bed forward as much as it will go ...I gained about .5" when slide the bed forward

It appears your front coils are really stiff, and I doubt you will ever fully compress them on the rocks to the point of impact with fender

The taco looks awesome with those wide tires
Can't wait to hit the pits with you again, no doubt you will crawl over everything that challenged you last time
Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #103
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TRD View Post
Lee
Removing the fender well bolts is all that's needed in the rear...I too had to remove mine because they we're cutting into my tires ....other option if you still rub hard, is to loosen bed bolts and bump the bed forward as much as it will go ...I gained about .5" when slide the bed forward

It appears your front coils are really stiff, and I doubt you will ever fully compress them on the rocks to the point of impact with fender

The taco looks awesome with those wide tires
Can't wait to hit the pits with you again, no doubt you will crawl over everything that challenged you last time
I need to do what Colin was saying and pop the sway bar loose and see how much difference it makes. I'm pretty sure that's why my front looks so stiff. But then, that might not be a bad thing in terms of tire clearance.

At any rate, I trimmed the plastic sort of half ass bent the pinch weld over with a set of vise grips in preparation to hammer it flat...and then noticed that that might have given me enough to clear. I took it out and drove in circles in a parking lot and got no rubbage. Have to see how it does in the pits and if necessary, I can always flatten it some more.

I also clearanced the slider legs. Man, it sure was nice to not hear that maddening knocking sound with every bump. Good idea on the bed though. I already took the bolts out so we'll have to see how hard it rubs and I might just do that.

And thanks! It looks even better in person than it does in the pics...at least I think so. Well, maybe except for the pic I'm using for my sig. It looks pretty good in that one.

Guy is getting close to getting the Runner done. Have to see about setting up a trip to Ocala with him so we can have a dual debut.

Honestly, though, I really really want to do the shake down riding trails at Richloam. I wanna see how that Lincoln-locked front end is going to act on a nice soft sandy/muddy trail before I put it on some hard rocks.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #104
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco No Baka View Post
I need to do what Colin was saying and pop the sway bar loose and see how much difference it makes. I'm pretty sure that's why my front looks so stiff. But then, that might not be a bad thing in terms of tire clearance.

At any rate, I trimmed the plastic sort of half ass bent the pinch weld over with a set of vise grips in preparation to hammer it flat...and then noticed that that might have given me enough to clear. I took it out and drove in circles in a parking lot and got no rubbage. Have to see how it does in the pits and if necessary, I can always flatten it some more.

I also clearanced the slider legs. Man, it sure was nice to not hear that maddening knocking sound with every bump. Good idea on the bed though. I already took the bolts out so we'll have to see how hard it rubs and I might just do that.

And thanks! It looks even better in person than it does in the pics...at least I think so. Well, maybe except for the pic I'm using for my sig. It looks pretty good in that one.

Guy is getting close to getting the Runner done. Have to see about setting up a trip to Ocala with him so we can have a dual debut.

Honestly, though, I really really want to do the shake down riding trails at Richloam. I wanna see how that Lincoln-locked front end is going to act on a nice soft sandy/muddy trail before I put it on some hard rocks.

The Swampers look really good! When my 4Runner was IFS one of the first things I did was remove the front swaybar. I never missed it on the street and it flexed a little better off-road.

GH
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #105
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
The Swampers look really good! When my 4Runner was IFS one of the first things I did was remove the front swaybar. I never missed it on the street and it flexed a little better off-road.

GH
Thanks!

I'll pop the sway bar loose in a day or two and test it out. I just have a feeling that it'll be eating the fenders without it though.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #106
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! I'll definitely remove the bolts. They aren't really necessary, but I just put them back in so I didn't lose them while I was deciding whether or not I was going to put the fender flares back on. Seeing how close that tire is, I reckon putting the flares back on is a no-go so I might as well take the bolts out too.

Far as the center caps go, painting them is an option. Just wanted to see how they would look chrome for a while since I can always paint them. The chrome ties in with the toolbox latches and the Toy emblem on the grill.
Oh ok. I just went and looked at mine because I'm still running my flares and I just removed the front bottom bolt and have zero problems with the flare flopping or tires getting ate up.

Yea I see what you are saying. Is there anyway to put the front caps on and cut the end off so that you can still get to the hubs? In my opinion the chrome would look great if the front wheels had it also, but being only on the back it just looks a little lop sided.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #107
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!

I'll pop the sway bar loose in a day or two and test it out. I just have a feeling that it'll be eating the fenders without it though.
It will. Mine is gone and I've actually trimmed some of my fender back to clear my tires but it flexes sooo much better and has helped a bunch offroad so it was worth it lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #108
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
Yea I see what you are saying. Is there anyway to put the front caps on and cut the end off so that you can still get to the hubs? In my opinion the chrome would look great if the front wheels had it also, but being only on the back it just looks a little lop sided.
They did send an open ended set for the front. They're just stupid long though. They stick out past the lock-out by about three inches so they were effectively useless. Wheeler's has an open ended set that are only like 2.75 inches long, but at the moment it's not bugging me enough to order them. Basically, it's the price of having manual hubs. No matter what you do, it's not going to look the same on the front as it does on the back.

About as close as I could come would be to paint the rear center caps black and then paint the front hub body (everything but the selector dial) black as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
It will. Mine is gone and I've actually trimmed some of my fender back to clear my tires but it flexes sooo much better and has helped a bunch offroad so it was worth it lol.
I figured it would flex a lot better without that sway bar. I'll see how ugly it'll get and then decide if I want to compromise some extra flex for not having to carve up my fenders. Too bad they don't have a smaller diameter sway bar that will let the front flex a little better but will still keep the tires from eating the fenders.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #109
michaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
michaelrussell's Tacoma Gallery
Trucks looking good lee now I need to get my ass in gear and get the bronco done
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #110
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrussell View Post
Trucks looking good lee now I need to get my ass in gear and get the bronco done
Thanks! It's almost there. The major stuff is done. Just have a few nitpick stuff left. Can't wait to see that Bronco when it's done. Hey, here's a idea for you...

Details: http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...Camo_Paint.htm

Your Bronco would look awesome done like that. Although if you want to do it, I heard this stuff holds up incredibly well to trail abuse...

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Mi...age-Paint.html

Old 09-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #111
michaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shedmichaelrussell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's a good looking bronco but I'm thinking about repainting mine ford blue

Here's a little action shot
Old 09-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #112
LSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant future

Name: Logan
LSC15's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet truck
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #113
LSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant futureLSC15 has a brilliant future

LSC15's Tacoma Gallery
!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #114

LSC15's Tacoma Gallery
!!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #115
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
That's a good looking bronco but I'm thinking about repainting mine ford blue

Here's a little action shot
Come on! Work with me here. I'm tryin' ta start a trend with the OD green and swampers!

Blue...meh, at least it's not red or black. Ford blue? Is that the light blue, the dark blue, or the engine paint color? Might not be too bad with the dark blue.

BTW, did I mention that my very first 4x4 was an '84 Bronco II?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #116
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC15 View Post
Sweet truck
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #117

It's a lighter blue ill pick up a gallon of the tractor paint its durable
Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #118
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
It's a lighter blue ill pick up a gallon of the tractor paint its durable
Ah, okay. That should be interesting. Hehehe, at least you can fit in with the Speedway Blue crowd.