Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Baka's 1998 Build

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #121
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
Taco No Baka's Tacoma Gallery
I installed longer wheel studs for a 2003 Toyota Matrix AWD on my front hubs today. I feel much safer now.

Here's the write up I did for it...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post7446036

And here's some before and after pics...

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #122
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Thomas
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco No Baka View Post
I installed longer wheel studs for a 2003 Toyota Matrix AWD on my front hubs today. I feel much safer now.

Here's the write up I did for it...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post7446036

And here's some before and after pics...

that was simple fix
Old 09-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #123
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TRD View Post
that was simple fix
Ayup, once I found wheel studs that would work. TW FTW!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #125
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Yeeaaaahhh.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and sub this thread
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #126
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Always wanted 13.50s and swampers on mine. Looks good
Old 10-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #127
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
Always wanted 13.50s and swampers on mine. Looks good
Thanks! We'll see tomorrow how it does in the mud.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #128
WEST KY YOTA'S
TacomaYeti is on a distinguished road

Name: Reed
TacomaYeti's Tacoma Gallery
man i love that matte green
Old 10-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #129
Interco Tire Snob

Here's some before and after pics of the wheeling trip today...

Then I couldn't resist this hole...

And she got a little dirty...

Attached Thumbnails
Baka's 1998 Build-img_0844.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-img_0847.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-20131006_121351.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #130
02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
02 TRD Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How do u like the manual hubs man? I was thinkin about puttin at set on mine to where my cv axles would not turn all the time with automatic hubs. but now i think i will just keep the automatic hubs. By the way awesome pics man how did the truck do through all that?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #131
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
How'd the swampers do? lol
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #132
Interco Tire Snob

I love the manual hubs. If not for them, I wouldn't have been able to Lincoln lock the front diff. Sure, they take a little planning ahead, but really, unless you're locked like I am, you wouldn't have to worry about unlocking them until you're done wheeling for the day. I just didn't want to drive my locked front end on pavement.

The Swampers did great at Richloam. Once I put it in 4 dig, the truck drove right out of that hole in the pic. I did get stuck a couple times at Citrus, but that really wasn't the tire's fault. The ruts were just a little two deep and the center hump was way too hard for the rear diff to just plow it down. That said, nobody made it through anything I didn't.

The truck did well on the climbing stuff out at Citrus though.

I also found that the steering wasn't nearly as bad as I had been expecting with the locked front diff. It never tried to yank the steering wheel out of my hands and it wasn't hard to turn the wheel. It did seem to cut into my turning radius a little at low speed with the t-case in 2WD.

Oh, and one other thing to note...The OME suspension was awesome. It handled wash board roads without the rear end getting all squirrely and it soaked up bumps and uneven terrain much better than the old Procomp suspension did.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #133
Interco Tire Snob

Geez, I just cleaned the truck from wheeling yesterday (took about 4 hours). I found out I'm pretty damn lucky I didn't have the truck catch on fire or something. I popped the hood to spray any mud out of the engine bay and discovered that the piece of sound deadening/insulation on the bottom side of the hood was just laying there on top of the engine. I guess all the mud and water it got splashed with made it too heavy to stay attached to the hood. I tossed it in the trash. Don't want that happening again.

Also, the paint wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. There's definitely some stains, but most of them came out with some elbow grease.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #134
Interco Tire Snob

Just got back from a big Florida TW meet at Citrus WMA. I had a blast! Met a bunch of great people and had a great time wheeling. It was a really great weekend.

I'm going to compile the pics where my truck was featured prominently here. For other pics of the event, check this thread...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/flo...et-photos.html

Attached Thumbnails
Baka's 1998 Build-001.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-002.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-003.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-004.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-005.jpg  

Baka's 1998 Build-006.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-007.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-008.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-009.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-010.jpg  

Baka's 1998 Build-011.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-012.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-013.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-014.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-015.jpg  

Baka's 1998 Build-016.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-018.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-019.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-020.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-021.jpg  

Baka's 1998 Build-022.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-023.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #135
Interco Tire Snob

Moar photos...some where I'm actually doing something to get the truck dirty...

Special thanks to Tony (FearNothing321) for these great photos!

Tony's website: http://bluemoonoriginals.smugmug.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Baka's 1998 Build-2014twcitrusmeet-4-x3.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-2014twcitrusmeet-35-x2.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-2014twcitrusmeet-62-x2.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-2014twcitrusmeet-63-x2.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-2014twcitrusmeet-64-x3.jpg  

Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #136
Interco Tire Snob

More pics from the meet...

Attached Thumbnails
Baka's 1998 Build-024.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-027.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-029.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-035.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-031.jpg  

Baka's 1998 Build-025.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-026.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-030.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-028.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-033.jpg  

Baka's 1998 Build-034.jpg   Baka's 1998 Build-032.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #137
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pictures! Looks like a great turnout.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #138
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
Nice pictures! Looks like a great turnout.
Thanks! It really was a great turn out. Had 14 trucks in the group photo on Day 1 and 18 in the Day 2 group photo, but we also had a few jeep guests and other trucks that weren't in the group photo. I think we had a line of more than 20 trucks going down the trails. It was awesome.

Seems like there are other places that have bigger turnouts, but 20+ trucks is nothing to sneeze at. We had folks from all over the state, from the pan handle to Miami. All great people. The only downside is there was only four 1st gens. Felt like we're a dying breed, lol.

Man, it was a lot of fun though. Haven't had that much fun in a while and I can't wait to do it again.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #139
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics man. Looks like you was able to put the swampers through some good tests.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #140
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
Awesome pics man. Looks like you was able to put the swampers through some good tests.
Yup, they did great everywhere but on the sand hill climbs. They weren't liking the sugar sand too much. I know they work in sand, but I'm guessing the Odd Green Taco didn't have the power to make them work properly. In the mud and regular hill climbs, they did fantastic, especially coupled with the Lincoln locked front end. It just crawled up stuff other trucks were working to get up.