Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Baka's 1998 Build

Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #161
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a good time. The new dent looks good to lol. We had our second annual club event 3 weeks ago and I ended up getting a dent in the passenger side of the bed in the exact same spot and almost in the same way lol.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #162
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
Taco No Baka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
Looks like a good time. The new dent looks good to lol. We had our second annual club event 3 weeks ago and I ended up getting a dent in the passenger side of the bed in the exact same spot and almost in the same way lol.

Ouch! Kinda cool about the matching thing though. Although, it looks like you didn't quite get off as lightly as I did paint-wise.

Question for you: what PSI do you run your Boggers at? (IIRC, you aren't running bead-locks.) I heard you can run Swampers at around 12 PSI or so w/o bead-locks before you have to worry excessively about unseating a bead. I was running mine at 15 PSI and they weren't really deforming much. Smoothed the bumps out quite a bit, but they weren't really wrapping around the rocks that I could tell--although clearly, I was getting some benefit since I made it up that big slippery hill without too much trouble while the 2nd Gen TRD OR (rear locker with ATRAC up front) had to air down to make it. I'm assuming I wouldn't have been able to either had I not been aired down.

But yeah, it was a really great day. Had a blast and the truck was SO much more capable compared to the first time I went there back before I built it up. Also, I was a lot more confident as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #163
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's all good. It's just clear coat scratches. I could probably buff them out but where's the fun in erasing your battle scars lol.

I run them at around 10psi and no I do not have beadlocks. A couple weekends ago I was actually running them at 9 because my deflators are out of adjustment but I still didn't have any problems. I use to run my Kuhmo KL71's at 12-14psi and never had any problems but I also didn't wheel half as hard as I do now. In this picture I had 6psi in the front passenger because all 4 of my tires leak around the rims, either because of trash stuck in between the bead and the rim or a bend in the rim. This was on sunday before I went home and as I was airing back up to load it on the trailer I realized that it leaked down pretty bad.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #164
Interco Tire Snob
Taco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco No Baka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It's all good. It's just clear coat scratches. I could probably buff them out but where's the fun in erasing your battle scars lol.

I run them at around 10psi and no I do not have beadlocks. A couple weekends ago I was actually running them at 9 because my deflators are out of adjustment but I still didn't have any problems. I use to run my Kuhmo KL71's at 12-14psi and never had any problems but I also didn't wheel half as hard as I do now. In this picture I had 6psi in the front passenger because all 4 of my tires leak around the rims, either because of trash stuck in between the bead and the rim or a bend in the rim. This was on sunday before I went home and as I was airing back up to load it on the trailer I realized that it leaked down pretty bad.

First, cool, thanks for the input on the PSI. I'll try 10 next time.

Second...Trailer? Say it ain't so! She's a trailer queen now?!?

The guy I was wheeling with with the MGM 2nd Gen got a little bit of that scratched clear coat action on the trip too. He had an encounter with a strangely sturdy water vine that he though would just brush aside but ended up scratching the crap out of his door.

But yeah, I was actually a teeny-tiny bit proud of my trail damage. Weird, because if that had happened in a parking lot or something, I'd have been furious.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #165
Probably should'nt have done that.
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
4banger4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco No Baka View Post

The guy I was wheeling with with the MGM 2nd Gen got a little bit of that scratched clear coat action on the trip too. He had an encounter with a strangely sturdy water vine that he though would just brush aside but ended up scratching the crap out of his door.

But yeah, I was actually a teeny-tiny bit proud of my trail damage. Weird, because if that had happened in a parking lot or something, I'd have been furious.
dont worry im the same way, that rear fender in smashed up in citrus doesnt bother me as much as the key mark
Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #166

Quote:

Lol, I wouldn't quite consider it a trailer queen yet because I still drive it everyday to work. But it is nice trailering it to the trail because I can wheel the hell out of it and the only thing I have to worry about is getting it back to/on the trailer.

And I agree. If someone scratched my truck in a parking lot, I would be ready to fight. But when I hit a tree and dent the body or a branch scratches it from front to back, I just laugh it off and continue wheeling. Although I will admit that the very first dent that I put in it was fairly difficult for me to get over but once I did, it was all downhill from there lol.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #167
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger4x4 View Post
dont worry im the same way, that rear fender in smashed up in citrus doesnt bother me as much as the key mark
Quote:
Lol, I wouldn't quite consider it a trailer queen yet because I still drive it everyday to work. But it is nice trailering it to the trail because I can wheel the hell out of it and the only thing I have to worry about is getting it back to/on the trailer.

And I agree. If someone scratched my truck in a parking lot, I would be ready to fight. But when I hit a tree and dent the body or a branch scratches it from front to back, I just laugh it off and continue wheeling. Although I will admit that the very first dent that I put in it was fairly difficult for me to get over but once I did, it was all downhill from there lol.
Haha, 1st Gen guys...I guess we're about as hardcore as we can get while still wheeling our daily drivers.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #168
Interco Tire Snob

The Odd Green Taco's return to Citrus WMA. She wasn't having a good day. Popped both her CV axles. It was amazing they survived being hammered on at Hardrock, but Citrus claimed them both this time.

This first series was after I broke the driver's side CV...

Awesome angle...

photos by Guy Huey and his buddy Victor.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #169
Interco Tire Snob

On the way to break the passenger side CV...

Whoaaaaa...getting a little tipsy there, better stop!

Better throw it in reverse and back out of this one...

The last rooster the passenger side tire threw that day...

Crunch...clack-clack-clack...and then I had to be rescued by a kindly gentleman in a 2WD on 37s.

Thanks Dirtymike!

The Odd Green Taco returning the favor after Mr. 37s got stuck in a mud hole...even if she only had one-wheel peel at that point she was still ready and able to help out a friend...

Damn that one-wheel peel...

I just don't know when to quit. Both front CVs broken and an open rear diff and I'm still riding trails.

Although this one did turn out to be the last one of the day since we followed it all the way out to the main road and put Citrus behind us for the day.

That's all the photos taken by Guy and Victor. Should be more from other members and some vids. I know both my CVs popping were caught on video.

Carnage notwithstanding, it was a fun day. Brutally hot, but still fun.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #170
Interco Tire Snob

Photos of the Odd Green Taco taken by SpruceTaco...

The aftermath of her busted passenger-side CV axle ...

Pulling out Mr. 37s

Nice shots, Mike. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #171

Awesome pics man. Looks like a good time. It also looks like you've got the breakage disease. You need to put a couple spares in the toolbox now because from here on out cv's will snap without doing much. Ask me how I know lmao. I broke one a couple weeks ago in some slick clay with my MTR's. Had the wheel turned, mashed on the throttle and..........boom. And my front was unlocked. If you want a complete list of tools needed to swap the axle, I can make one up fairly easy lol.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #172
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Awesome pics man. Looks like a good time. It also looks like you've got the breakage disease. You need to put a couple spares in the toolbox now because from here on out cv's will snap without doing much. Ask me how I know lmao. I broke one a couple weeks ago in some slick clay with my MTR's. Had the wheel turned, mashed on the throttle and..........boom. And my front was unlocked. If you want a complete list of tools needed to swap the axle, I can make one up fairly easy lol.
Haha, thanks. And I sure hope I don't have CVBD. Although, when the driver's side went, I really wasn't beating on it hard. Afterwards, I confess I was kinda hammering on her. With only one wheel spinning up front and an open rear diff, things were a lot more challenging than I've grown accustomed to.

Far as the tools go, I think I got that covered. Replaced the original ones back when I did my suspension. Not sure I can ever see doing it trail-side though. There really isn't any place around here that I'd need 4WD to get back from. I guess it'd be different if I ever took a trip to the Rubicon or something, but honestly, that's a dream right up there with an SAS and 16x35 Boggers so I don't think I'll have to worry about carrying spar CVs anytime soon (although I do have a set).

I do have to say that it's pretty disappointing that we have to worry about breaking axles with just 33s. That's just sad.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #173

Quote:
Haha, thanks. And I sure hope I don't have CVBD. Although, when the driver's side went, I really wasn't beating on it hard. Afterwards, I confess I was kinda hammering on her. With only one wheel spinning up front and an open rear diff, things were a lot more challenging than I've grown accustomed to.

Far as the tools go, I think I got that covered. Replaced the original ones back when I did my suspension. Not sure I can ever see doing it trail-side though. There really isn't any place around here that I'd need 4WD to get back from. I guess it'd be different if I ever took a trip to the Rubicon or something, but honestly, that's a dream right up there with an SAS and 16x35 Boggers so I don't think I'll have to worry about carrying spar CVs anytime soon (although I do have a set).

I do have to say that it's pretty disappointing that we have to worry about breaking axles with just 33s. That's just sad.
Lol. The driverside was probably just weak and finally let go. Judging by the pictures, the passenger side had no chance at surviving lol becuase it looks like you had the wheel turned pretty hard and in reverse which is a horrible combo cv's on a locked front end.

Oh ok. See, my axles seem to always let loose, way back in the woods and usually in the middle of a trail or at the beginning of a weekend. So if I don't keep spares then it is either a long recovery job or it ends my wheeling trip, right when it starts.

And I agree completely but I can deal with it as long as I'm not blowing ring gears or u-joints.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #174
Interco Tire Snob

Quote:
Lol. The driverside was probably just weak and finally let go. Judging by the pictures, the passenger side had no chance at surviving lol becuase it looks like you had the wheel turned pretty hard and in reverse which is a horrible combo cv's on a locked front end.

Oh ok. See, my axles seem to always let loose, way back in the woods and usually in the middle of a trail or at the beginning of a weekend. So if I don't keep spares then it is either a long recovery job or it ends my wheeling trip, right when it starts.

And I agree completely but I can deal with it as long as I'm not blowing ring gears or u-joints.
Heh, I didn't realize the CVs were weaker in reverse. I guess I'll have to take that in to consideration in the future. I knew having the wheel turned was risky though.

Honestly, though, I think I'd rather be popping ujoints than CV axles, but yeah, both would be better than breaking the diff (carrier, ring gear, pinion gear, etc...). Ujoints are a lot easier to replace.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #175

Quote:
Heh, I didn't realize the CVs were weaker in reverse. I guess I'll have to take that in to consideration in the future. I knew having the wheel turned was risky though.

Honestly, though, I think I'd rather be popping ujoints than CV axles, but yeah, both would be better than breaking the diff (carrier, ring gear, pinion gear, etc...). Ujoints are a lot easier to replace.

Yea. This is my understanding of what's going on. Whether it's 100% correct or not, I'm not sure lol, but it makes sense to me. Your inside wheel always turns sharper than the outside wheel, which is called Ackerman. So your inside cv is at a harsher angle when the wheel is turned. In forward the power is transferred to the inside, closed side, of the joint and in reverse the power is going to the outside, open side, of the joint and causes the guts to blow out the front. Usually if you blow a cv while you are turned and going forward then it is going to be the wheel on the outside of the turn. It is actually very very easy to break an axle with the front locked, in reverse, going slow, and on flat ground. I saw someone blow a birf in a fj40 with a locked frontend in reverse and all he was doing was turning around to head a different way.