Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #181
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I decided to go with the Orbit eye bushings and new main leafs for my spring packs. I just need to wait for my bank account to build back up again.

I other news: I'm getting an intermittent "clunk" from my front end during tight turns. My lower ball joint are a year old and my outer tie rod ends are about the same age... It almost sounds like it's coming from an axle... Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #184
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Just a thought. Mine are so worn out that my camber cant be properly adjusted. Pulls to the right when driving
Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #185
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Those bushings have been on my to-do list for a while... maybe I should bump them to the top. That would mean I'd have to unseize my adjuster bolts too. That should be fun...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #186
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Those bushings have been on my to-do list for a while... maybe I should bump them to the top. That would mean I'd have to unseize my adjuster bolts too. That should be fun...
I hear its easier to just replace the whole LCA
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #189
Independant Thinker

In other news... I decided that I'm FINALLY going to take care of all the chrome on the truck. I'm going to Plasti-dip the badges and wheels in the anthracite color dip.

http://youtu.be/cPVeeEzFQt8
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #191
Independant Thinker

^Thanks man! I ordered up 4 cans of anthracite and 2 cans of glossifier last night. Now I'm wondering if that's going to be enough for a 4 wheels, the front grill, my side badges and handles...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #193
Independant Thinker

For those looking to fit 33x12.5s, I had to do a little more trimming today.

You can see where my last trimming job wasn't quite enough here:

Here are some shots of my latest round of clearancing.

Here's how much farther I cut back:

Here's what it looks like all finished:

Hopefully, this will be more than enough to keep the tires from rubbing. I'm going wheeling next weekend, so I'll know more then.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #195
Independant Thinker

Hey Blackdawg! So, I checked for clearance while flexing and turning, like you said. On your rig, did you just beat back the corner of the firewall or did you have to go farther?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #197
Independant Thinker

^Ok, I think I understand. So, I cut my pinch welds off entirely. (ground them flat). I, also, cut back the quarter panel a bit. So, I'll beat back the corner of the firewall next. Would you think that a half inch off the corner be enough?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #199
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Half inch off what? Haha

It'll just take you a few times really. Took me 4 times of cutting and hammering. And it still rubbed a tad..haha
It's good to know that you had to re-trim a few times. I think I'll run my this coming weekend as is and see where I rub. Then I'll pound/cut accordingly.

Also, look what showed up today.

I've never plasti-dipped anything, so I think I'll start with my side badges. Hopefully, this anthracite color looks as good as it does in pictures.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #200
Independant Thinker

So I Plasti-dipped my side badges and handles today. Here's a quick pictorial overerview of the process.

1. Get a good assistant. This one is in training:

2. Clean the area you are about to dip

3. Tape around the area. (In hind sight, I should have left a bigger section inside the tape. This would have given me a better place to peel from later on)

4. Spray your dip. Light coat first, then heavy coats after that. I did 3 coats of anthracite and 2 coats of glossifier.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...te=1&p=7165187

5. Peel off tape after it has dried.

6. Peel the "background" dip away:

I did the same with the door handles. This pic show the dip wet, but you can see the metal flake in it really well:

Here's the handle dry. The flake isn't as apparent, but you can still see it. (You can see it much better in person)

Here's the finished product:

There you have it, anthracite plastidip

Products Discussed in this Thread