Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #341
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I take it the shackles aren't done
Well... I didn't have a bit large enough for the holes on the upper side(5/8")

So, tomorrow, I'll try to use a step up bit from work.

Everything has to be complicated over here!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #343
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok. I think I'm set to complete the install tomorrow. Luckily, it is supposed to snow all night... and some of tomorrow!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #344
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #347
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
What gears you running with those Duratracs? I really want to upgrade to 33x12.50 Duratracs and would like to not have to re gear. I have 4.10s right now. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks man!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #348
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Hey SeattleCoug,

Yeah I've got some impressions for ya. FYI, I'm running the Load C 33x12.5s, so remember that if you get a different size/load rating

On-road:
Good Grip - I drive the truck like I drive my Evo. The lateral g is decent out of the tire and they howl way before the side wall buckles. I've heard folks complain that the E rated tires feel "squishy" if not fully inflated. My C rated tires feel solid and predictable. As far as noise goes, they have more of a "hum" than the "howl" of my KM2s. Overall, they are pretty quite, no complaints here.

Off-road:
Coming from KM2s, the Duratracs are not quite as sticky on the rocks. I notice just a little more wheel spin when the tire is pressed into a verticle rock surface... they just don't bite quite as hard. That being said, they still work very well off road. They bag nicely when aired down and I haven't had any problems with the sidewalls... yet. I've slid on the sidewall down rock surfaces and driven on them pretty hard already, though. In mud, they work well too. They eject mud pretty well (especially for an AT). I haven't had them in snow yet, but everything I've read tells me that they should be awesome. (that's one main reason I bought them)

One more note: These tires seem to wear really well. I've driven about 5000 miles and there isn't any measurable wear on my set. Also, I've got a friend who is on his 5th year on his set and he is just below half tread.

Overall, I really like these tires. If the side wall hold out for my 4 years of expected use, these may be a tire I stick with for good.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I hope this helps.
Been on mine for only 1-2k but I couldn't agree more. I hope the tread life is as good as you say, from what I've read it's pretty hit or miss. I like em better than the BFG ATs though that's for sure
Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #349
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post
What gears you running with those Duratracs? I really want to upgrade to 33x12.50 Duratracs and would like to not have to re gear. I have 4.10s right now. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks man!
You'll be okay with 4.10s. Take a hit on power on the highway and hills bad and mpgs. But it's live able.

4.56s with your manual would be ideal.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #350
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
You'll be okay with 4.10s. Take a hit on power on the highway and hills bad and mpgs. But it's live able.

4.56s with your manual would be ideal.
So, like Blackdawg said, my 4.10s are ok with the 33x12.5s. Going up Mtn passes, I'm floored in 4th and occasionally shifting to 3rd to maintain 65mph. It has kind of kill my gas mileage too. I'm happy to break 15mpg on the hwy anymore. But, keep in mind, I'm at almost 6000 ft elevation where I live. Near sea level, I'd bet that the power loss would be less noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
Been on mine for only 1-2k but I couldn't agree more. I hope the tread life is as good as you say, from what I've read it's pretty hit or miss. I like em better than the BFG ATs though that's for sure
Yeah, so far the tread seems to be holding up. My buddy has 45k on his and he is probably going to keep his set through winter. I can't wait to try these things in the snow, I hear the are awesome.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #351
Independant Thinker

Thumbs down

Well, I didn't think I could get skunked 3 times in a row on these springs BUT:

Where is my extra 1.5" of spring after the centering pin!?!?!

So, I'm sending them back...

Plus, I discovered that my e-brake cable is going to interfere with the new spring setup. Is there an easy fix for this????

Long story short... another disappointing day.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #353
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mine was almost in the same boat...

Old 10-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #354
Independant Thinker

^So mine look like yours on my current set, SeattleCoug.

Is the cable rubbing no big deal, or do you guys think I should raise it up?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #355
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
At this point you should drive the truck to Grand Junction and have Alcan install the springs while you watch!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #356
Independant Thinker

^At this point, I'd be worried that they'd get installed wrong! I'm going to call this setup the nightmare pack...
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #357

I'd probably just leave it as long as the wire isn't touching the top leaf at full draw on the emergency brake handle. When flexing it won't matter cause that doesn't happen for very long and the brake wire has (some) slack to it
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #359
Independant Thinker

Thanks for the info SeattleCoug and Blackdawg. I think I'll just install them and run the brake cable as is for a while. If something seems to be a problem, I'll deal with it from there.

So, I talked with Bill Ford (Owner of Alcan Spring). It looks like what happened is he basically got confused when building to my spec. He took the length of a stock spec tacoma rear, added 1.5" to it and built it for a 3" lift. The problem is when you arch your spring for a 3" lift, it takes an additional 1.5" of length to get the eyes to line up. So, he's going to add that extra 1.5" per my spec and everything should be good. He felt really bad about screwing up my springs so many times. He also feels bad that all his profit is now thrown out the window. Long story short, this might be his last set of custom springs. I hope they work...

Products Discussed in this Thread