Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Next came the skids... front, IFS, belly(t-case) and gas tank. My buddy Gerdo (Lil Skips Offroad) really was the one that built them... I just helped out.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
losers101 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandan
losers101's Tacoma Gallery
Truck is looking good man! Sub'd
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, next was suspension. I made my own coilovers with Toytec collars, 2nd gen 16" 600lb coils, and tundra 5100s. I, also, got the Light Racing upper control arms.

The new setup gets me 11 inches of wheel travel... not too bad. If I want more, I just have to get a little bit longer shock

Looks like the UCAs have plenty of motion left in them for more travel.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
Independant Thinker

For the rear, I upgraded to Bilstein 7100 short body, remote resi shocks and Toytec 1" lift shackles

New Stance:

New Rear Flex:

My new problem is that the leafs are binding, preventing me from getting full droop:

I'll take care of this problem later on...
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
11"??...mmmm I'm gonna call BS on that man..no offense..I bet you hit the bump stops. I'd be impressed even if you had 9"
Yeah, I was surprised by the numbers too... but check it out

I hit the bump stops on compression:

The tire is about .25" from flush with the fender:

Now Full extension, my measurement is 11.25"
Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChileTaco View Post
Nice build! Where in CO are you? I'm in the Longmont area.
Thanks, man! I'm down in Littleton, off C470. How far away are you?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Weird. Good mid travel tho. Tundra 5100s much be longer..

LT is only 3" more.
That's what I'm thinking... Here's my next plan, when I've got extra time. I hear that JK rear shocks (I believe) are the same thing but 1" longer than the tundras. That would give a theoretical wheel travel of 13"! Upgrade to some Lotus axles to handle the droop and I'd have good travel and stock width!

...Maybe you should try it first...
Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChileTaco View Post
Prob 45 minutes from Littleton. Gonna be doing a lot of wheeling this summer, seems to be a lot of Tacoma peeps here in CO. The more the merrier! Subscribe to this thread if you're not already and hopefully we can get some runs going!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...do-events.html

Sweet. Will do.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #35
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
That's what I'm thinking... Here's my next plan, when I've got extra time. I hear that JK rear shocks (I believe) are the same thing but 1" longer than the tundras. That would give a theoretical wheel travel of 13"! Upgrade to some Lotus axles to handle the droop and I'd have good travel and stock width!

...Maybe you should try it first...
Lotus axles???

And jk shocks fit?? Never heard of that.

And if the body's aren't longer I can see it working maybe. But idk if the LCAs would allow it.

I'm up to try lots of things..haha
Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Lotus axles???

And jk shocks fit?? Never heard of that.

And if the body's aren't longer I can see it working maybe. But idk if the LCAs would allow it.

I'm up to try lots of things..haha
Yeah I know that Lotus development makes upgraded axles. The JK shocks are a rumor at this point but I've got some buddies at Toytec that think it would work. I know that you are looking at front suspension options so I thought i'd throw it out there.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Do you know your tundras shock lengths??

Arb 60066 which is used on jk 07-10 for 2-2.5" lift is

22.83"(580mm) extended
13.7"(348) collapsed

Damn they don't list tundra measurements..

I did find my 5150 and your 7100s tho. You have almost 2" more compression length. But I have almost 1" more extended length..thought that was interesting.
I can't remember the actual lengths right now, and this is the only picture I took of it:

But, I want to say that the extended length of the Tundra shock is just under 21" (I think it was 20.88 or something like that). It's an 8" shock so that would put the compressed length right around 13" even. I'll have to check, but I think I have 1.5-2 inches of compression left in my shock when I'm at my bump stop. Looks like a JK shock would work, but I don't know if 2" is worth $200 for new shocks...

That's interesting about your 10" 5150s being longer than my 12" 7100s. Did you say that you are basically at the shock's stops when you are at full droop? If so, I can reasonably expect to do the same on my 7100s, once I take care of my binding issues...

Good info!

Products Discussed in this Thread