Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #761
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
^Thanks for the info, you guys. Now, I've got to decide how much time I want to invest in Wifey's car...

PcBuilder: I was on TRS's facebook page and saw your truck on there! Once again, those headlights are amazing! Do they offer halos in yellow, like my offroad light filters?
Thanks! They only offer halos in white or amber on their website. But you could buy some halos from a different website and use them.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #762
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Where'd you get them from, again?

Also, I read that TRS will be selling sealed beam retrofits...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #764
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Oh yeah... I knew that!

Man, I think some yellow halos would look good with my truck. Maybe TRS will offer more options in the future...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #766
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where'd you get them from, again?

Also, I read that TRS will be selling sealed beam retrofits...
Me wants some retros!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #767
Independant Thinker

^I want some real project retros for my headlights, now that I did my offroad lights!

All in due time, I guess... how's your crawl box stuff coming!?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #768
Independant Thinker

I got a speeding ticket last night, but there's a silver lining. He was hiding off to the side of the road and facing me when he tagged me and he didn't mention anything about my HIDs being too bright or illegal. SO, I consider that the moment that my HID setup passed its legal test!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #769
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer about the ticket

Glad there was no issue with the lights.... the easy way to figure that out if it's actually legal is to find a big blank wall somewhere (like back of a warehouse or big box store or whatever). There are certain rules about how high the light beam can be at a certain distance. Not sure on the specifics in CO.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #770
Independant Thinker

^I tried doing a quick search for headlight law in CO, but couldn't find anything. So, I just aim them a little lower than my headlights and that seems to work The high beams still shine out far enough too.

Where do you typically look up headlight laws?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #771
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out, about half way down the page.

http://liftlaws.com/colorado_lift_laws.htm

I remember reading this elsewhere also; Colorado only cares about the number of lights, and the height on the vehicle. I'm guessing this is up to a bit of interpretaion though, based on how you aim the lights.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #772
Independant Thinker

^Squeaky, thanks for the link. I looks to me like I should be fully legal here in CO. Hey are your behind-the-grill lights HID or Halogen?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #773
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
Check this out, about half way down the page.

http://liftlaws.com/colorado_lift_laws.htm

I remember reading this elsewhere also; Colorado only cares about the number of lights, and the height on the vehicle. I'm guessing this is up to a bit of interpretaion though, based on how you aim the lights.
Great link.

A project high on my list is to put in a pair of nice driving lights either mounted in the bumper, on it, etc...
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #774
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Great link.

A project high on my list is to put in a pair of nice driving lights either mounted in the bumper, on it, etc...
^Looks like 44" is your "Madjik" number for those lights!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #775
Independant Thinker

There have been more developments on the Marlin bearing for the dual case setup. NorCalPR just tore his case apart and found bad wear patterns on his bearing. It looks like I'll be buying an MRC, just in case my Marlin double row wears out and falls apart again.

For your dual case guys, here's the link:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...=198933&page=6
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #776
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
^Squeaky, thanks for the link. I looks to me like I should be fully legal here in CO. Hey are your behind-the-grill lights HID or Halogen?
No problem. My lights behind the grill are just cheap 55w Halogens. If I ever doing anything different, it will involve removing those, and installing a good LED bar or two good driving lights on my bumper. I don't think its worth converting those to HID.

But changing that is pretty low on my priority list right now...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #777
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^I tried doing a quick search for headlight law in CO, but couldn't find anything. So, I just aim them a little lower than my headlights and that seems to work The high beams still shine out far enough too.

Where do you typically look up headlight laws?
The DMV handbook is generally the best idea IMO, as that's the actual law. The other various aggregate sites can work too, but you never know if they're up to date or accurate.

Here is the link to the Colorado Revised Statutes with the official driving statutes... give it a second to load to the section.

There are a couple sections that relate, but:

42-4-216. Multiple-beam road lights

(1) Except as provided in this article, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combination thereof on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles or low-power scooters, shall be so arranged that the driver may select at will between distributions of light projected to different elevations, and such lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that such selection can be made automatically, subject to the following limitations:

(a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least three hundred fifty feet ahead for all conditions of loading.

(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least one hundred feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading, none of the high-intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

You're probably fine having it below the headlights. Only thing to consider is that when you lift the truck, you're changing the height of the beam too. Although I'd imagine that the lights come from the factory to meet the strictest of state laws, which CO doesn't seem to be.

Our laws are a lot more specific/strict in CA
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #778
Independant Thinker

^ Awesome link.

I thought this one was interesting as well:

42-4-219. Number of lamps permitted

Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this article is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway. Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

So, it looks like I can still do a headlight retrofit and run all 4 on the street!

What are your CA laws like?
Old 01-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #780
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
im only supposed to have 4 on at a time too

whhoooopss..
X2, on 2 lane mountain highways and county roads around here I always use my brights, 4 lights behind the grill, and my LED fogs are always on. I'm sure there's some LEOs on the front range that care, but generally if you not pissing everyone off you'll be OK.

Funny thing is I believe mud flaps are required in Colorado, go take a look at how many trucks have mudflaps, probably 10% or less. Good thing we don't have any of those stupid vehicle inspections either!

Products Discussed in this Thread