LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

After seeing some of the build threads on here, I decided to make one of my own. I own a '96 with manual everything. (transmission, hubs and even windows!)

Here's how it sits now:

Toytec 600lb front Coilovers
Tundra Bilstein 5100s
Light Racing Upper Control Arms
ARB Rear Locker
Garage Built Front Bumper with removable winch plate
Warn M8000
Vision X HID Offroad Lights (Hi/Lo beam)
Alcan Leaf springs (Custom length and Orbit Eyes)
Bilstein 7100 12" Short Bodies
Custom 6" shackles
Inchworm dual Transfer Case setup, 15º clocking
Bushwacker Fender Flares
CBI Sliders
33x12.5 GY Duratracs

To Do/Wish list:

1. Fabricate rear bumper with tire/hi-lift/fuel can carrier
2. Redo belly skid/T-case mount for flat belly
3. Roof Top Tent

http://youtu.be/0hRnUBoZ9t4

Here's my truck in '09 when I bought it. It had a NWOR suspension on it, that didn't flex too well. Other than that it was stock. It's been kind of a work truck all it's life

I'll detail what happened in between in the thread, as well as keep it updated.

Questions and comments welcome!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, I didn't start modding the truck till the beginning of 2011. The first order of business was to remove the Northwest Offroad HD leaf springs and replace them with a custom Alcan 8 pack. The Alcans were setup for the extra weight you'd see in the bed during expedition trips. So, the are stiffer than normal. Also, I picked up a set of CBI Sliders from a guy up in Wyoming.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Independant Thinker

Then I had a little boo boo on the road...

This made me look at the front end of my truck. It was time for new suspension and a bumper.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Independant Thinker

So, my buddy and I got down to business on the front bumper

Before we could start on the bumper, we had to straighten out my frame. The previous owner got a little too boisterous with the front tow hook...

Looks better now.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Independant Thinker

Now, I decided I wanted a bumper with a removable winch plate that didn't need any tools. So we had to figure out how everything was going to fit together. We started with winch placement.

Then we bent a couple tubes, made a couple brackets and tack welded them together. These will be the beginnings of the main hoop. They will also be cut down ~4 inches.

Duct taped some bar on there, just to see how it would lay out.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Independant Thinker

We designed the removable winch tray. It's designed to keep the loads in shear instead of torsion. It will slide out the front, just under the top horizontal bumper bar.

And, we bent up the top bar for the bumper

Tacked on the diagonal tubes.
Front view:

Here's a quartering view:

Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Independant Thinker

Here's the bumper off the truck for some trimming

Fairlead installed:

And here it is with the light bar hoop

Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Independant Thinker

Here are some close up shots of the removable winch setup

No tools required to remove it, and the pins are strong enough to handle winching operations

Here's where the plate goes. When inserting the plate, the supporting structure guides the tube into place. It's really easy and lines up every time.

It works pretty well!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
sick man! Nice bumper too

What kind of soft topper do you have?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Likein the bumper dude good work
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice job on the tube bumper
good looking truck!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
Independant Thinker

Thanks for the compliments on the bumper, guys! I'm hoping to build a rear bumper late summer/early fall that will accept my winch plate. That way I can winch in either direction. (Nice feature when I'm out on expo type trips by myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Also subbed. I've been looking into a duel T-case myself. How do you like the inchworm?
I LOVE the inchworm setup. Really it's hard to beat the price for their full setup too. The thing to be careful about is the front adapter plate. (transmission to crawlbox) It seems like some people have problems with oil leaking out from there. So, I was really careful when drilling my clocking holes and had a machinist buddy of mine feel and file it till he was convinced it was totally flat. I haven't had a drip yet. Hopefully, I'll get this thread caught up with weekend and will detail the process a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
sick man! Nice bumper too

What kind of soft topper do you have?
Thanks man! My topper is the Softtopper brand, made out here in Colorado. Since they are so close, I went to the factory and met the owners. They are really nice folks that put out an awesome product. My topper has been on my truck for 4 years now through heavy snow, hail, rain and direct sun. It has held up great! I can't say enough good things about it, but I'll end my commercial now.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Independant Thinker

I forgot to show a couple of mods I made to the bumper after the initial build.

I added some shackle hangers and reinforced the bumper with some plate steel.

Bad job with the spray paint...

Products Discussed in this Thread