1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Davtopgun's "Mad Max" 95.5 4x4 build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2013.

1. May 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Well, our last wheeling trip was hard on the truck.

Snapped another CV axle, not at the joint, but sheered the end of the shaft off. Just like the other two. Here's a pic of it on the truck. I'll get a better pic when I replace it tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Secondly, I managed to stab a big hole in the side of my driver rear tire. After 5 plugs, it still leaks. Next step will be to pull it off the wheel and patch it from the inside.
    [​IMG]

2. May 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    ^Wow. Any pictures or videos of the trip? Sounds like you guys ran pretty hard!

3. May 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.

Almost 2 hours of video. Taking me forever to edit it all. Will post a couple video's when I'm done. Unfortunately, my crazy rock climb that I had a friend of mine film......well, he did a crappy filming job. :(

4. May 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    Lumpskie

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    It seems like that's always how it goes:rolleyes:

5. May 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Here is what my truck looked like at the end of the trip.
    [​IMG]

6. May 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    Where do you buy stock CVs from? Dealer? how much? Nice work on the truck.

7. May 22, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

I buy them from Auto Zone, because they all now have a lifetime warranty. :D

8. May 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    so it looks like Jo went, who else took the ride with ya?

9. May 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Floor Mat, Joe, and myself. Nobody else responded when I said "let me know if anyone wants to go". :)

10. May 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Hey Dave, I have a bunch of the pictures I took during the ARB locker install on your truck. I will see what I can put together and post here for you. That and any other pics of the work we have done so far that I have. I like seeing my truck.....er...I like seeing your truck going through some nice trails. It does suck that those CV axles are not holding up, but we both did say that it was a risk with an ARB. You didn't happen to be turned at a sharp angle with your ARB engaged when it broke I hope? If you start saving up and look at cost of parts, I will start with the geometry and such with designing the SAS control arms, unless you are just looking at getting a bolt on/weld on kit.

11. May 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

Thanks man, we'll talk about it when we both have some free time.

Currently, I'm in the middle of changing my CV axle, it's pouring rain like crazy (which wasn't supposed to start until this evening), and the new CV didn't come with a washer or the clip.

I took pics of the old one when I got it out, will post them after I get everything back together.

12. May 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    Have you tried using OEM CVs? from a pull a part or something like that. Apparently the oem's are supposed to be stronger than the others. I dont really have much experience, just going by what i have heard.

13. May 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

I haven't tried OEM yet. Knowing Toyota, they are likely much more expensive. Plus, any that I break now are free. Only thing they will cost me is the time to change them.

I wish there way a way to convert to the nut type, I hate the clip CV's.

14. May 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Pulled the hub, and this is what I saw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. May 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Dang, talk about some torque!

16. May 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    Yea I wouldnt be getting them from toyota, just pull a part like places and every once in a while they pop up on the forums. Sometimes you can score them for pretty cheap.

If you are having problems with those CVs would you consider giving OEMs a shot? If you do let me know if you can tell a difference or not. Im curious if the cost vs. breakability would be worth it.

17. May 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    Lumpskie

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    For OEM, check out cvj axle. All OEM reman to new specs and decent prices too.

18. May 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Alright, the next one that snaps, I'll swap it with OEM and see how it holds up.

19. May 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    That does look like a pretty good torque snap. Do you remember if you were straight or had the wheel turned when it broke?

20. May 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    The wheels were straight when it broke. The front arb was also unlocked. I was spinning tires trying to get out of a mudhole.

Just before this, I was climbing a muddy rock hill though. With multiple step ups, and had to hit them pretty hard with front and rear locked to make it up. The video that should finish uploading today, has my first attempt of that hill on it. The battery died, and we didn't get the second attempt, or the third which is the time I made it up.

Not surprisingly, nobody wanted to attempt to follow me. Lol

Last edited: May 23, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top