Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

ffirg's 02 DC Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #221
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Grunt
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I caved in and just bolted to my bumper again haha. Too impatient and I think it will make me want to buy a new bumper sooner lol.
haha go with (basic) Apex or Elite. Badass looking bumpers
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #222
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Those are the two I'm interested in. And the bruteforce hybrid.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #223
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
How is the light output on road with the blitzpro. thinking ill have one or three on the front of my truck in the next couple months. ive seen the 21's light up camp but that is different than driving with it. so, how is it?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #224
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
It isn't bad but it could certianly be better. It's best used if you're going slow. I'd say it has about a 6k color temp compared to these D2s which I'd say is 5000k, just about equal to my projectors. Doesn't shoot very far and it's just a giant flood pattern. Great for filling in close to the truck though.

Here are some shots of it with my projectors and then comparing it to the D2s(driving beam.) My house is probably 150' away in these pictures.

Projectors only. (Lenses are getting oxidized so they glare up and light up above the cutoff line more than they used to)

Projectors with blitzpro

Projectors with Rigid D2s

Projectors with D2s with amber lenses on.

The amber lenses cut down output probaby by half, but holy crap they are amazing. My depth perception seems to be a lot better with them on, it's hard to explain. They don't project as far of course but they make everything more clear. I can't wait to try them out in a snow storm.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #225
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hmmm yeah the d2s look good but ill start with the blitz. not AS dramatic as the d2s but still, you can see it lit up your whole house. Thanks Mike. Thinking maybe the 15" double stack should be comparable to that.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #226

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it does. What I don't like about is it does not seem to light up the road very well. Other than right in front of course. I'll get a shot of the beam patterns tonight and post it. It's impressive how the Rigids concentrate the light in a usuable pattern.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #227
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Projectors with Rigid D2s

Aw, fck yeah
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #228
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Yeah it does. What I don't like about is it does not seem to light up the road very well. Other than right in front of course. I'll get a shot of the beam patterns tonight and post it. It's impressive how the Rigids concentrate the light in a usuable pattern.
Right. I am not planning on the blitzpro for being used to light up the road down the way. itll be a fill light. also flanked by two 6" ones pointed to the ditches. Plan is some hella 4000s HID retrofitted for the real light work ill end up with just the bars first so thats why i asked.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #229

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Right. I am not planning on the blitzpro for being used to light up the road down the way. itll be a fill light. also flanked by two 6" ones pointed to the ditches. Plan is some hella 4000s HID retrofitted for the real light work ill end up with just the bars first so thats why i asked.
OK yeah that should be a sweet setup. I thought I wanted more lights before putting these D2s on, but I'm second guessing now haha. I might swap out the blitzpro for a 20" rigid spot but not right away. I think this is plenty enough light at the moment.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #230
02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
02 TRD Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
lights look good Mike. how easy was the install on them rigid industires? was it plug and play? whenever u got ur projectors how was ur angle at first.? because i am going to have to adjust mine because of the steap angle i have after the install. how hard was it to adjust ur progectors is the flat piece on the bolt thats at the end of the progector go to the top or what? them racks on the top of ur cab? i got a cheap set for 30 bucks but they latch under the door molding to secure them on but urs look like they r in the gutter on our trucks. thanks man
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #231

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 TRD Tacoma View Post
lights look good Mike. how easy was the install on them rigid industires? was it plug and play? whenever u got ur projectors how was ur angle at first.? because i am going to have to adjust mine because of the steap angle i have after the install. how hard was it to adjust ur progectors is the flat piece on the bolt thats at the end of the progector go to the top or what? them racks on the top of ur cab? i got a cheap set for 30 bucks but they latch under the door molding to secure them on but urs look like they r in the gutter on our trucks. thanks man
The duallys were installed in about 45 minutes. Hardest part was routing the wire through the firewall. The included harness is just long enough from relay to the switch to reach behind the clock in the cab.

My projectors were a little off angle but not much. Just had to twist them to make the cutoff flat. As far as up/down adjustments, you just use the factory headlight adjustment screws for that. This is assuming you have a mini h1 or d2s setup.

The Yakima bars do go in the door channel to secure them. I like em. On the truck when I bought it. I haul all kind of stuff with them. There's a few pics in previous pages of kayaks, a raft, 18 1" steel tubes a that are all 8 feet long, etc. I love them for that.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #232
02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice

Name: Brock
02goldie's Tacoma Gallery
light pattern on those d2's look sick. I jus put the amber covers on my dually spot beams. almost did for my 10" flood but thought the effectiveness wouldnt be as good. I dont have as much width with the duallys, but i get pretty good distance with the amber lens .havent had heavy enough fog yet to really test
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #233
02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed02 TRD Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
02 TRD Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The duallys were installed in about 45 minutes. Hardest part was routing the wire through the firewall. The included harness is just long enough from relay to the switch to reach behind the clock in the cab.

My projectors were a little off angle but not much. Just had to twist them to make the cutoff flat. As far as up/down adjustments, you just use the factory headlight adjustment screws for that. This is assuming you have a mini h1 or d2s setup.

The Yakima bars do go in the door channel to secure them. I like em. On the truck when I bought it. I haul all kind of stuff with them. There's a few pics in previous pages of kayaks, a raft, 18 1" steel tubes a that are all 8 feet long, etc. I love them for that.
thanks for the advice Mike appreciate it man.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #234

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02goldie View Post
light pattern on those d2's look sick. I jus put the amber covers on my dually spot beams. almost did for my 10" flood but thought the effectiveness wouldnt be as good. I dont have as much width with the duallys, but i get pretty good distance with the amber lens .havent had heavy enough fog yet to really test
Yeah I'm surprised how good the amber lens does. It appears to not go as far but it's so much easier On the eyes that it's kind of a wash between which one I like more.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #235

I wonder how the black lens is... say what is that for btw, ya know, since you sell the things
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #236

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Haha the black lens? That's just a cover for protection.
Blue is apparently for snow too but I've seen light forces with blue lenses and did not care for it at all.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #237
Professional Web Wheeler

Hey you get that sway bar off yet?

After our talk and you said the suspension felt on the stiff side, i really questioned whether i had led you astray recommending the 883 coils. Maybe i was just tolerant to a bad ride and didnt know better. So, this last weekend i was hanging with a couple other members and threw my keys at them, asked them to drive the piss out of it and tell me how it rides.

They came back saying it rides great in the front but shit in the rear (stock pack and aal in rear is why). So, it reinforces for me that the ride is good with the 883s. only difference between you and I is the sway bar.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #238

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Hey you get that sway bar off yet?

After our talk and you said the suspension felt on the stiff side, i really questioned whether i had led you astray recommending the 883 coils. Maybe i was just tolerant to a bad ride and didnt know better. So, this last weekend i was hanging with a couple other members and threw my keys at them, asked them to drive the piss out of it and tell me how it rides.

They came back saying it rides great in the front but shit in the rear (stock pack and aal in rear is why). So, it reinforces for me that the ride is good with the 883s. only difference between you and I is the sway bar.
Nope I haven't tackled it yet. But don't let me mislead you when I said it feels stiff. I LOVE the way it rides. Yes I think the front can be stiff in certain conditions, but overall it's miles smoother than my stock stuff was.

I'm 100% certain the sway bar is the culprit of riding stiff on certain terrain. I just haven't had the motivation to take it off one of these weekends I'll tackle it. I guess I was wording it weird. I really love it and appreciate you steering me toward the 883s. No regrets here at all.

I was out driving with a friend down some dirt roads to show him my D2s and retros and he was amazed at how smooth it was hitting bumps and potholes at 25mph. Could hardly feel them honestly. So that reassured me that they aren't too stiff. And he's comparing it to his FJ which is basically brand new. And btw, after showing him my lights he ordered retros from TRS, a pair of D2 driving, a pair of 6" SR spots, and both upper and lower grills from Rigid haha. I guess seeing them helps people spend money.

But anyway, I freakin love my suspension. The only minor regret I might have in the future is my leaf pack choice. The dakars ride awesome with the AAL, but I think I should have gone with the expos for more weight capacity. Only time will tell there though.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #239

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
And speaking of lights, I got my switches almost finished tonight. Couldn't get the switch for my rear lights in because it won't fit in the factory switch blank by the 12v outlet. I'll need to dremel that out in the next few days. Ill also need to wire it so the texts lights up with my dash lights. I think I'll end up tapping into the factory clock wiring to do that.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #240
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Nope I haven't tackled it yet. But don't let me mislead you when I said it feels stiff. I LOVE the way it rides. Yes I think the front can be stiff in certain conditions, but overall it's miles smoother than my stock stuff was.

I'm 100% certain the sway bar is the culprit of riding stiff on certain terrain. I just haven't had the motivation to take it off one of these weekends I'll tackle it. I guess I was wording it weird. I really love it and appreciate you steering me toward the 883s. No regrets here at all.

I was out driving with a friend down some dirt roads to show him my D2s and retros and he was amazed at how smooth it was hitting bumps and potholes at 25mph. Could hardly feel them honestly. So that reassured me that they aren't too stiff. And he's comparing it to his FJ which is basically brand new. And btw, after showing him my lights he ordered retros from TRS, a pair of D2 driving, a pair of 6" SR spots, and both upper and lower grills from Rigid haha. I guess seeing them helps people spend money.

But anyway, I freakin love my suspension. The only minor regret I might have in the future is my leaf pack choice. The dakars ride awesome with the AAL, but I think I should have gone with the expos for more weight capacity. Only time will tell there though.
Ok awesome. i was worried i am still glad i had the guys run my truck for the feedback.

i find they do better at speed than slow crawling. still good during crawling as it doesnt compress as much when dropping off things. but today even i was cruising along a dirt road riddled with potholes and washboard at a cool 65mph and it was smooth as butter. only thing with gravel is the truck floats at that speed, or so it feels. Fun as shit though!

Products Discussed in this Thread