Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

SeattleCoug's Black Beauty Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
SeattleCoug's Black Beauty Build

Totaled my 2000 Ford Explorer in April of 2012.
Bought a completely stock 1999 Tacoma in June of 2012.
Twas a blessing in disguise.
because I got the mod bug.

1999 Extra Cab 2 Door. TRD. SR5. 3.4L V6. 5-speed Manual

Name: "Brandy"
Manufacture Date (birthday): August 02, 1999

Previous Owner #1: Eagle Creek, Oregon (22 miles SE of Portland) - original purchase in October of 1999.
Previous Owner #2: Sherwood, Oregon (15 miles SW of Portland) - transferred at 82,000 miles in February of 2003.
Previous Owner #3: Woodburn, Oregon (30 miles S of Portland) - transferred at 110,000 miles in October of 2005.
Current Ownership: Shoreline, Washington (10 miles N of Seattle) - transferred at 144,000 miles in June of 2012.

How It Sits Currently:

How It Was When I Bought It Stock Off Of Craigslist Ad:

...And The Bullshit I Drove Before Getting The Tacoma:

Suspension:
Front Bilstein 5100s
Eibach 3" Coils
Front Diff Drop Kit
Rear 9.25" Bilstein 5125s
AllPoo Expedition Leaf Springs
Extended Rear Brake Line
B.A.M.F. Brake Proportioning Valve (BPV) Bracket
Pinch Weld Be Gone Mod (Cut/Ground It To Nothing)

Wheels/Tires
285/75/16 Load Range E (8 ply) Goodyear Duratracs
16x8" Pro Comp 7069s - 6-5.5 Bolt Pattern - 4" Backspacing

Armor/Metal Fabrication
Elite Off Road Front Plate Bumper
B.A.M.F. Sliders
B.A.M.F. CB Tailgate Mount

Audio
Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Head Unit
Rockford Fostgate T1000 Amplifier
Diamond 12" Subwoofer
Front Door Alpine SPS-610C Speakers
Rear Infiniti Speakers
Dynamat Cab Interior

Lighting
New OEM Headlight Housings as of 2012
Clear Corner Light Housings
The FREE Blinker Light Relocation Mod
Dash/Map Light/Dome Light LEDs
License Plate/Back Up Light LEDs
LightForce 240 Blitz's
Rigid Industries Dually D2's

Exterior Mods: Click on numbers for links to related pictures/posts

06/2012 -- Line-X Bed Liner
07/2012 -- Replaced OEM Horn with a 1997 Cadillac Deville Horn
12/2012 -- 2001-2004 Power Mirrors
03/2013 -- DIY Remove Your Badges: Click HERE For The Thread
06/2013 -- Tinted Front Turn Signal Housing [blacked out], Tail Light Housing [light tint] & 3rd Brake Light [light tint]
06/2013 -- UWS Tool Box
06/2013 -- Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler
07/2013 -- Custom TRD Decals
07/2013 -- Plasti-Dipped Stock Wheels
07/2013 -- Replaced Tinted OEM Corner Lights with Clear Corner Lights
09/2013 -- Front Bilstein 5100s, Eibach Coils, Rear Bilstein 5125s, Expedition Leafs Springs
09/2013 -- 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs & Pro Comp 7069s
09/2013 -- License Plate LED Lights
10/2013 -- Backup LED Lights
12/2013 -- B.A.M.F. Sliders
03/2014 -- Elite OffRoad Bumper, WARN M8000 Winch, AmSteel Synthetic Rope, Viking Fairlead, Factory55 ProLink Thimble, LightForce 240s, Rigid Industries D2s

Interior Mods:

06/2012 -- Premier Deck, 12” Diamond Subwoofer, Rockford Fostgate T1000 Amplifier
12/2012 -- Temperature Gauge
06/2013 -- Gauge Cluster & A/C Panel LEDs
07/2013 -- Gear Shifter Leather Boot to Carpet Mod - Click HERE For The Thread
07/2013 -- Replaced 1999 Factory Center Console with a 2001-2004 Center Console
07/2013 -- Rear Window Gun Rack
07/2013 -- Uniden CB Radio
08/2013 -- Viper 5704 Car Alarm
08/2013 -- 2001-2004 Rearview Mirror Maplight
08/2013 -- Front Windows at 20% Tint
09/2013 -- Off-Road & Foglight O.T.R.A.T.T.W Switches
09/2013 -- Aluminum Rear Window Lock Bars
10/2013 -- UltraGauge
10/2013 -- Wet Okole Seat Covers
10/2013 -- Premier to Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Head Unit
10/2013 -- CB Microphone Mount
11/2013 -- Dynamat Sound Deadened Cab Interior
11/2013 -- Grey Wire Mod
07/2014 -- Windshield Visor 5% Tint Strip

__________________ Wish List/To Do Mods (more or less in order of importance)

- CBI Bushmaster 1.0 w/ Swing Away Tire Carrier & Jerry Can Holders
- Full Size Spare Tire
- Fix Squeaky Clutch Spring
- Retrofit Headlights - H1 Kit
- Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
- Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
- The Source 20 Pound CO2 Tank
- HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator
- Comp-Flex CO2 Hose Assembly (20')
- Power Tank TIG-8200 Inflator
- Fab A Bed Rack
- CVT Mt. Shasta RTT with 79 Awning
- Re-Gear to 4.56/4.88
- HID Conversion for LF 240s (PENDING INSTALL)
- Rear Diff Breather Mod

__________________ Links To Reference Posts:
- Retrofit/HID Headlights: 1
- CVT Roof Top Tent: 1
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

First things First
New Line-X Bedliner and a few decals

Remove Canopy and give her a full Wash and Detail

Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Installed a new Premier deck

Amplifier underneath the passenger seat
Front

Back

Diamond 12" Subwoofer
Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

My Dad installed new Power Mirrors as a Xmas Present

Removed and Painted the Windshield Wiper Plastic

Installed a Temperature Gauge

Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #5

Installed New Gauge Cluster LEDs
A/C Panel has lights I just don't have them in for this photo
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #6

Painted Valence
Used:

Has been on for 6+ months and doesn't show any signs of wear, though next time I'll use an actual bumper paint

Before:

After:

Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

MUST DERP ALL CHROME

De-Badged the Tailgate

Shot the 3rd Brake Light with 1 Coat of Tint & New LED Bulbs
Hard to see with the glare, but you get the idea, just a little darker.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

Painted the Exhaust Tip
Shot it with this:

and a Few Clear Coats as well

Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #9

Just did the blinker mod through using the steps from this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/186115-free-blinker-light-relocation-mod.html

If you have a 98-00 and are doing this, I'd seriously consider getting LED bulbs for the turn signals. The incandescent bulbs give off a much higher temperature than LEDs would (twice as much).

I say this because I left my hazards on for about 5-10 minutes to see the difference between this mod and the OEM way Toyota set em up. When I turned the hazards off I noticed a very very small spot on the corner light housing that was starting to get burned through due to the heat from the constantly flashing turn signals.

It does not matter if you are just using the turn signals for switching lanes, stop lights, etc. but in the off chance that you are a space cadet that day or are testing your Tacos limits and run out of gas or break down and have to keep your flashers on for 30+ minutes then you better believe that you may have to end up replacing those OEM housings as well.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #10

Change Out LEDs

Went from Blue LEDs
Gage Cluster has 4 (194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base)
A/C Panel has 2 (74 LED Bulb - 1 LED Wedge Base)

Now switched out to ALL white LEDs
Gage Cluster has 4 (194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base)
A/C Panel has 2 (74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base)

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

Just did a DIY thread for a pretty sweet mod:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/285332-gear-shifter-leather-boot-carpet-mod.html
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Dodger24 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Julian
Dodger24's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck. I love the first gens. How was "derp"ing all the chrome? Did it come out smooth and even? I want to do it to my 2013 bumpers, but I'm scared it might come out uneven.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks Good.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking truck so you going to keep it unlifted and technically "stock"?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger24 View Post
Nice looking truck. I love the first gens. How was "derp"ing all the chrome? Did it come out smooth and even? I want to do it to my 2013 bumpers, but I'm scared it might come out uneven.
Derping the chrome was a little time consuming since each piece took 3-4 (thick) coats, but it turned out VERY good. I think the trick to derping is prep prep prep, along with that make sure the 1st coat is sprayed evenly and is thick.

I can take a couple of up close pictures for you tomorrow...? I would go for it though, and if you end up not liking it you lost $6 on a cheap mod and can just peel off the rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Looks Good.
Thanks man! It woulda been sweet to have 2 badass Tacos in a 8 mile area but I had to go and graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
Good looking truck so you going to keep it unlifted and technically "stock"?
Yeah I think that's the plan for now... my Dad keeps talking it down on how bad it is for the drive shaft and everything else. He likes to use the analogy "it's like a woman in heels, it's fine for a day but if she's in em for a long time then they're gonna take a beating on her".... I keep hankering for a 2-3" Blistein 5100 lift
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
Thanks man! It woulda been sweet to have 2 badass Tacos in a 8 mile area but I had to go and graduate

Yeah I think that's the plan for now... my Dad keeps talking it down on how bad it is for the drive shaft and everything else. He likes to use the analogy "it's like a woman in heels, it's fine for a day but if she's in em for a long time then they're gonna take a beating on her".... I keep hankering for a 2-3" Blistein 5100 lift
I don't blame you there.

I recommend OME suspension.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Dodger24 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Julian
Dodger24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
Derping the chrome was a little time consuming since each piece took 3-4 (thick) coats, but it turned out VERY good. I think the trick to derping is prep prep prep, along with that make sure the 1st coat is sprayed evenly and is thick.

I can take a couple of up close pictures for you tomorrow...? I would go for it though, and if you end up not liking it you lost $6 on a cheap mod and can just peel off the rubber.

Yea that would be great. I would like to see an up close picture. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I hear mixed reviews about it.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I don't blame you there.

I recommend OME suspension.
Yeah I'm gonna stick with that for now. I just think getting some 15x8 pro comp rims would look a little funky on a stock set up. I'll just have to search for some photos of others who have it so I can compare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger24 View Post
Yea that would be great. I would like to see an up close picture. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I hear mixed reviews about it.
Here ya go, snapped a few for you. Some definitely turned out better (rear bumper, front bumper [2] chrome pieces/grill outline, back fender flares) than others (taco front grill emblem, passenger handle)....

Rear Bumper:

[2] Front Chrome Bumper Pieces -- keep in mind they are dirty since I haven't given it a wash for a while:

Grill Outline:

Fender Flare:

Door Handle:

Hope that helped
Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #19

Blacked Out the 'Tacoma' Tailgate Badge

Before:

After:

Ehhhh I kinda liked how the badge 'popped' before but oh well this'll do for now
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #20

UWS Tool Box
I wanted something that cold hold all the things I needed in a tool box but didn't go over the bed rails because I like to put the canopy back on in the fall/winter for hunting...
I ordered this tool box off of Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/UWS-FOOT-LOCKE...otlocker+black

The Tool Box:

Still have room to slide something the full length of the bed (wood, rifles, etc.)

Side View:

Random Photo:

Products Discussed in this Thread