Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Gear Head's Silver 2000 TRD Build

Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Gear Head's Silver 2000 TRD Build

Well I finally decided to make a build thread. Tacoma's are my all time favorite truck and have been since I knew about them. I bought this truck off my old man and it had 222k miles on it. He owned it since 160k so I know all the maintenance history back to then. It was exactly the truck I wanted when I was looking for my first Tacoma so I just had to buy it. I hope you like my truck as much as I do.

How it sits now as of 03/22/14

Specs:
2000 TRD SR5 3.4L Auto 4x4 241k miles

Interior:
Alpine Head unit
2 10" Kicker cvr's
Rockford Fostgate 400w 4 channel
LED gauges, hvac, map lights, and dome light
Smoked lights on the door handles

Exterior:
Mini H1 retro, halos, 35w 5000k, Mini gatling shrouds
Dipped badges, grille emblem, and door handles
Painted Grille
Dyed bumper
15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic ll's painted black
31x10.50x15 Yokohama Geolander AT's
Ventshades
Bug Shield (Removed)
Ebay black housing headlights and corners
Smoked turn signals
Bedlined UWS toolbox

Suspension
5100 fronts
Eibach coils
Removed sway bar
63" Chevy swap
12" 5125's
Custom U-bolt flip
Boxed rear frame

Future Mods:
Hybrid Front Bumper
Sliders
Custom Rear Bumper DONE
Creeper Joint rear hangers
33's or 35's
Bed rack
Snorkel

And because I'm a picture whore, the Truck that started it all. My old 96:

Now back to my current. When I bought it..

Bought some Mickey Thompson wheels with four mud tires for $170. The tires were on my red tacoma when I totaled it and they had a flat spot from locking it down so I put the wheels on my truck and sold the tires for $200.

The wheels have a really low backspacing so they rubbed. Bent the pinch and trimmed the fender liner.

Had DRL's (daytime running lights) and hated them so I disabled them

Scored a UWS toolbox off Craigslist for $100

Picked up some ebay headlights and corners to get rid of the god awful stockers. Also dipped the grille emblem.

Was leaking oil since I bought it so I did valve cover gaskets and rear main seal.

Painted them gloss black

LED's

Dipped my wheels

Dyed my bumper with Duplicolor Trim and Vinyl dye and smoked my turn signals with VHT Niteshade. Also dipped emblems and door handles.

Needed MOAR black so I bedlined my toolbox

Picked up a Sony 1000w amp, Rockford 400w 4 channel, and 2 10" kicker CVR's for $180 and sold the sony for $60

Started gathering parts for my lift. Billy 5100 fronts, 12" 5125 rears, Chevy 63's. Bought my 63's and took them apart

Sorry it's sideways

Made some hangers out of cardboard. Going to a friends house Friday to use his plasma cutter and welder and get these built.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good, man. Sub'd
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks man! I know it's not much, but everybody's gotta start somewhere.

On another note, that guy I mentioned before with the 5.29's... turns out he has install kits for both sets of gears. He said I can get it all for $325 which is a smoking deal. If I buy it all what should I be able to sell the rear 8" 5.29's and install kit for? Rear gears are Yukon.

Orrrr... how much would an e-locker axle cost? I've looked around locally and can't find an axle to get a ballpark price? I think I would rather swap axles to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a locker and not have to resell then by more 5.29's.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
That's looking great!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good and that 96...how could you let that go...
Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
That's looking great!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
Looks good and that 96...how could you let that go...
Dude I kick myself everyday. I totaled the shit out of it and it sat for 6 months and when I fixed it I just lost interest and played vehicle hot potato for the next 2 years. BMW, Mustang, XJ, back to the Mustang, now my '00 Taco. Not gonna make the same mistake twice
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Went to my buddy's house to work on a few things this evening. Got one of my hangers made and wire brushed and painted the chevys. My friend laid some pretty nice welds.

These things are stupid beefy.

Still have to cut the chevy shackles and shackle hangers off the main leafs lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
hanger looks good. Personally I would have made it a little longer so the slope is even more gradual. Since you're moving the hangers forward on the frame they are more prone to get hung up on rocks in that new position. Making the hangers longer allows for almost a flat transition from the frame so it will slide over rocks instead of getting hung up.

But that's getting nit-picky. They look great.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
hanger looks good. Personally I would have made it a little longer so the slope is even more gradual. Since you're moving the hangers forward on the frame they are more prone to get hung up on rocks in that new position. Making the hangers longer allows for almost a flat transition from the frame so it will slide over rocks instead of getting hung up.

Now that you've told him that, he can always add some plate to it to lower the angle.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

Thanks man! Means a lot coming from a fabricator like yourself! And yeah the original design I was using was 13" long and while the transition was smooth, I thought it looked goofy . The ones I made are actually 9" long but that picture makes them look super short. The angle may not be ideal but these things are BEEFY haha. I know they will get beat up which is why I boxed the angled part. Will make it super strong and the hanger wont get tweaked wedging the springs in there.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Like I said, they'll be plenty strong as they are. Not worth changing what you have. Proceed.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #14

Yessir!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #15

I should have a quite a few packages getting here on Tuesday Also headed back to my friends shop to get the other hanger made and finish the chevys on Tuesday as well. I put a jack under my hitch today and lifted the rear 3.5" today to visualize my new ride height... haha I'm a little excited.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #16

Got some goodies today! Eibachs and extended rear brake line.

I've been spraying all the bolts I'll be removing with wd40 for about a week now. Hoping for smooth sailing. I'll still probably have to cut the bolts for the stock leafs though. 233k miles is up there...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Hanger looks great, man! Have fun getting those old bushings out of the springs.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Hanger looks great, man! Have fun getting those old bushings out of the springs.
Thanks! And they aren't dry rotted that bad at all.. I'm going to use them as they are I'll change them if they become an issue. Nothing a torch can't fix
Old 07-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #19

More goodies!! 5100 fronts and 12" 5125 rears.

Now the only things I need is plate to box the frame, upper crossmember/shock mount, and come up with a way to mount the shocks. I know a lot of people use tabs but I like the idea of using the stock threaded dowel type mount. If I can get those out of the stock mounts, then I can cut them to length and weld them to the axle and crossmember. I want to do it like this so that the shock can pivot freely around the mount during articulation. I feel like with tabs range of motion will be limited, kind of like a leaf spring trying to twist inside the shackles.

I really hope someone understands what I just type

Edit:

Like this

vs. this
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #20

I need some more people in my thread so it's not so damn quiet!

Got some more work done tonight. Finished one of my chevy 63's and I need to get a new center pin for the other. Also got my other hanger built. My buddy tacked it together and I actually welded her up! For my second time welding, I'm pretty damn proud of myself! Mocked up the hangers and they fit like a glove. I'm really happy with how they came out. I think the angle is perfect. Now on to the pics....