Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

BayAreaTaco's build thread aka "Taco Verde"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #41
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
man! that Apex Bumper looks sick
i really want that bumper; but, am thinking it'd be too heavy for my stock suspension
your suspension is still stock, right?!
how's it handling the bumper?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
bayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
bayareataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
man! that Apex Bumper looks sick
i really want that bumper; but, am thinking it'd be too heavy for my stock suspension
your suspension is still stock, right?!
how's it handling the bumper?

No problems at all. The bumper weighs only 101lbs I really can't even tell its there. It's like having a 10 year old sitting on your hood, which you wouldn't notice other than the blind spot. My suspension is stock yes aside from the coil spacer up front.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #43
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck. I've always liked the green 1st gens. Simple, clean look you have going on.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #44
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I've always liked the green 1st gens.
x2. Great looking truck!!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #45
bayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Warn m8000-s and Thule roof rack!

So I ordered the Warn m8000-s winch with synthetic rope from amazon a few days ago, it should be here by monday or tuesday. I also got with it the factor 55 prolink loaded and a hawse fairlead from Viking off of polyperformance.com Amazon has crazy deals on these winches, absolutely the best deals anywhere and they offer free shipping!!!! I am looking forward to installing it and giving it a test, best believe I will be posting pictures of the install.

On another note I picked up a Thule system from REI today, again they have some great deals, I got 20% off the entire system there, but they didn't have the exact mounting system i needed for my application so I have to wait for that part in the mail. After doing a mock up on my truck I'm thinking I will go back tomorrow and also pick up the roof rails so i can fully adjust where I want them, other wise they will be fixed wherever I decide to mount them.

I took some pictures, let me know what you guys think. I think the common sense thing to do is mount them both on the camper shell, but I do think the front one with the fairing looks a little better on the actual cab. Problem there is if I take the shell off it will still be on the cab, (not a big deal I can just take it off the cab when i take the shell off) also it kind of looks funny with one rack on the cab and one on the shell don't you think?

I think the solution may be to pick up the adjustable rail system and install it on the length of the camper and the length of the roof of cab.

thoughts????

system on the shell.

on the cab.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #46
itsdanhalen is a jewel in the roughitsdanhalen is a jewel in the roughitsdanhalen is a jewel in the roughitsdanhalen is a jewel in the rough
Name: Dan
itsdanhalen's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the All Pro IFS Skid Plate?

I want to ride in your taco

Can you go over how you painted your grill?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdanhalen View Post
Do you have the All Pro IFS Skid Plate?

I want to ride in your taco

Can you go over how you painted your grill?

not yet, It's in the mail though, I ordered all the skid plates they make except for the rear end one.

Basically I took the grill off, tapes off the center part and the little side vents that I did not want to paint. Than I hand sanded the whole thing, starting with 220 all the way to 500. Hit it with a scuff pad and some 3m general purpose adhesive remover. 2 coats of rattle can black primer and 3 coats of a satin trim paint. Pretty simple, not the best job, light scratches take it back down to the chrome, when I do the satoshi mod I will do a better job! thanks for the compliments.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #48

WARN M8000-S install.

Got my winch in the mail and headed over to my buddy Cody's for a helping hand installing it. It went pretty smooth, although it was had to find a spot for the contactor control box, I am curious where other people with the APEX bumper mounted this box. It didnt want to fit anywhere, the wires coming out of the box are pretty short so that limits where it can go without modification. After some brainstorming and a simple bracket Cody fabricated we were able to mount it to the radiator support using an existing bolt with no modifications at all. Pics tell the story....

Cody is an insane fabricator and often helps me with my taco, his tacoma is 100% fab by him in his tiny garage. It will be one of the craziest crawlers ever built.

shiny and new

not much room to work with.

the man doing work!

his rig as of right now.

the bracket and bolt we mounted it to.

its a tight fit but i can get my hand in there to hook up the controller without to much hassle

went with a viking fairlead and factor 55 pro link to finish up the package.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #49

Nobody gives me love anymore
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #50
PhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enoughPhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
PhdNPrerunners's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking truck! I'm really considering getting the same bumper you have
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #51
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. I am jealous of the factor55. I want one, but just cant see shelling out the cash... they are spendy. My recommendation for the roofrack mounts. I would do both on the shell, unless you dont plan to put a basket on them. Reason being, when you flex out the truck, the frame/body flexes. The cab and bed have quite the gap when it twists. It might start tearing up either the basket, or the mouting points.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdNPrerunners View Post
Great looking truck! I'm really considering getting the same bumper you have
You really should! I am more than happy with it, great bumper and IMHO one of the best looking plate bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Looks great. I am jealous of the factor55. I want one, but just cant see shelling out the cash... they are spendy. My recommendation for the roofrack mounts. I would do both on the shell, unless you dont plan to put a basket on them. Reason being, when you flex out the truck, the frame/body flexes. The cab and bed have quite the gap when it twists. It might start tearing up either the basket, or the mouting points.
dudee, yeah it was spendy, I wish I didnt have such expensive taste! Good thinking, I had kind of already made up my mind on mounting the racks on the shell, makes more sense!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #53

weekend trip to Lake Tahoe. stopped for a new background
Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #54

mounted a thule system to my truck this afternoon. hardest part (wasnt very hard) was getting the rails square. We ended up chopping 4.5 inches off the cross bars, they are still long in the pictures of the shell on the ground. This was def a 2 person job, thank god for beer and friends.
took some shots with the shell off, its rarely off, looks pretty good!

faded ass roof paint from parking on top of a parking garage everyday for years for work. i was thinking i could get a big vinyl like the wrap to cover it. its just barely in my eye line and bugs the crap out of me!

do you guys think i should debadge and take the trd stickers off? i was thinking maybe just the toyota on the tailgate and the sr5 on the cab.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #55
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
First, i looked long and hard for that green tacoma and came up with zero, great color.

Now, i have been eyeing the all pro bumper like you have and i have a question for you. do you just wire up the turn signals to the round amber lights i the all pro bumper, or can you wire them up to work in the amber running lights next to the headlight ?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #56
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
What size tires are you running? Enjoy em, wished you got something else...?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #57
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareataco View Post
do you guys think i should debadge and take the trd stickers off? i was thinking maybe just the toyota on the tailgate and the sr5 on the cab.
For what it's worth I took off everything except the TRD sticker on the bed sides. I like the way they look and frankly it looks a little plain with everything gone. Just my opinion.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #58
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHPTR11 View Post
For what it's worth I took off everything except the TRD sticker on the bed sides. I like the way they look and frankly it looks a little plain with everything gone. Just my opinion.
x2 Leave the TRD sticker but at least de badge the doors / extra cab "SR5"
Decide on what to take off on the rear. My black 99 looks very clean fully de badged minus the TRD sticker
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
First, i looked long and hard for that green tacoma and came up with zero, great color.

Now, i have been eyeing the all pro bumper like you have and i have a question for you. do you just wire up the turn signals to the round amber lights i the all pro bumper, or can you wire them up to work in the amber running lights next to the headlight ?
thanks, it took me a while to find the green as well but it was worth it. I suppose you could wire them to the running lights net to the headlight but it was very simple to wire them to the amber lights. The lights come with the bumper from all pro, they have a small harness all you do is snip the stock connector off the turn signal wires and connect them to the new ones on the light from all pro. You can solder, use wire connectors, or go ghetto and use electrical tape. Either way it was simple enough and the bumper would look weird without them. get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
What size tires are you running? Enjoy em, wished you got something else...?
285/75/16 bfg mud terrains/ (km2) yes I love them. I am 99% on pavement. they are quiet, ride very nice, and are great offroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHPTR11 View Post
thanks for your input, there is a green taco in town with no badges and i agree it looks a little bit plain, i guess i will be selective with what i take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
x2 Leave the TRD sticker but at least de badge the doors / extra cab "SR5"
Decide on what to take off on the rear. My black 99 looks very clean fully de badged minus the TRD sticker
x2 thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #60
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
did not realize the turn signals lights came with the bumper. thanxs for the reply

Products Discussed in this Thread