Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Pliny's super secret build and BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #41
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Those Toytec shackles worked for my Alcan leafs... I would think they'd work for allpro too. Are the Allpro springs the same width as stock? If they are then the Toytec setup should work.
They are currently in stock hangers, so I'm going to with "yes"

Speaking of shackles - I was going to ask you - what're your 6" custom shackles? What made you decide on that length? I like your truck quite a lot and it looks like you've got some more up travel than I do with the 7100s.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #42
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
I need to get some longer shackles so I can flex better at the mall.
It takes a lot of flex to get over these:

Don't blame ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

Speaking of shackles - I was going to ask you - what're your 6" custom shackles? What made you decide on that length? I like your truck quite a lot and it looks like you've got some more up travel than I do with the 7100s.

vs
Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #45
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
those pics do not show if he has more up travel then you at all..haha
The shots looked more comparable until I actually put them side by side
Old 12-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #47
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

Dude... you asked for it, so prepare for picture OVERLOAD...

So, first off, I had stock length shackles. The truck flexed well, but I wanted more droop. So, I went with the toytec 5.5" shackles. I got more droop but wanted more droop still. So, I went with the new, longer leafs and the 6" shackles I have now. My new ones are just cut 3/8" plate with holes drilled in them. I can do this since my orbit eyes are the same width as my hanger. I'm still breaking the system in, but the droop is improved. Now, the pictures.

One thing that was nice about these shorter shackles was that I could get a little more compression out of the system. Here are pics of my shocks on my old shackles

Shocks under compression

Shocks extended

Shocks at ride height

Still that extra compression didn't make up for the extension I gained out of the longer shackles. So, the first picture is full compression on stock shackles, the second on the toytecs. You can see that I got a liiiitle more compression on the shorter shackles.

Now for extension,

Stock Shackles:

Toytec 5.5" setup

Not quite clearing the slider... this is partially because my suspension was binding

Latest 6" setup. (after a redone geometry and going from 32" tires to 33s)

Just barely clearing the slider... but this setup will break in a bit more...

So, that's my evolving shackle solution...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok... I fixed my pictures...

Yeah, I think it was a combination of my springs binding and my main leaf needing to be longer to use the longer shackle. My geometry was all messed up.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #50
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks for all the pictures! Although now I'm slightly worried that the geo and everything will get funky with the lift shackles, as the main leaf in my expos is designed for stock lengths...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #51
Independant Thinker

^Since you are an 03, I don't think you'll have the same problem I had. My leafs were custom made for my short '96 leafs and stock shackles. I didn't think ahead. Also, I posted the lengths for you on my build thread.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #52
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^Since you are an 03, I don't think you'll have the same problem I had. My leafs were custom made for my short '96 leafs and stock shackles. I didn't think ahead. Also, I posted the lengths for you on my build thread.
Oh! I totally forgot that you guys had the shorter leafs. That makes me feel better. I think I'm just going to get the AP 2.5" longer ones then, since I know they'll work and they're longer than the toytec ones... Might as well get as much droop as I can... And thanks for posting the lengths!

I also think it's interesting your e brake isn't on the back of the axle like mine... speaking of that - did you lengthen your e brake cable to account for all the droop? We noticed that it's kinda tight at full droop now. Not sure if I just need to adjust it or whether a longer cable is needed....
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #53
Independant Thinker

I didn't lengthen my e-brake cable. My thought was that, for the most part, my suspension will be twisting more than actually extending like the prerunner guys do. So far, it hasn't been an issue. Maybe get the shackles and see how it looks?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #54
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't lengthen my e-brake cable. My thought was that, for the most part, my suspension will be twisting more than actually extending like the prerunner guys do. So far, it hasn't been an issue. Maybe get the shackles and see how it looks?
Yeah that's a good point. I'm no trophy truck nor do I ever plan to huck it. The bigger concern was crawling and having the e-brake engage and lock up on me.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
never even heard of that happening..so..think your safe.
Yeah I had never heard of it either. Only thing people ever talk about is the brake line (and mines retardedly long now ). Might have to put it on jacks again and reassess. Never messed with the e-brake before - time to learn something new about the truck!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #58
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ive never had it happen..

and..even if it had..truck drives with the ebrake fully on anyways...
Hah! I may have done that once or five times

Products Discussed in this Thread