Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

TimmyB's super secret build and BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #121
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
OK awesome. I will check "not worrying about the tranny" for now then. I like when things I think are problems turn out to be derp. Like that time I may or may not have taken apart the entire door assembly because the passenger window wouldn't work.... only to find that I had bumped the "passenger window lock" button

Yeah it's confusing the shit out of me. Does not make any sense. Hopefully it will be something simple when I take the wheels off tomorrow.

Any yeah, I bleeded the BPV when I did the rear just a couple weeks ago. Made sure to read up on that ahead of time... sounds like something a lot of people miss!

What do you think about the play in the front left wheel (holding at 3 and 9)? Is a certain level of play acceptable? Dangerous? Front right wheel has zero play.... didn't check the rear yet, but the issues I've been having (the clunk, kinda sloppy steering - but not that bad given mileage have all been in the front).

if its just a bit of play..i wouldn't be too worried yet. But keep an eye on it as yes its probably a tierod.

i knew my clutch was going out when it would slip while i was starting off in 1st just to get going. Sure enough, my clutch was damn near done when i changed it.

funny about the door tho haha

yea just bleed the system and then pull the wheels to inspect. Can you tell where its coming from at all?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #122
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
if its just a bit of play..i wouldn't be too worried yet. But keep an eye on it as yes its probably a tierod.

i knew my clutch was going out when it would slip while i was starting off in 1st just to get going. Sure enough, my clutch was damn near done when i changed it.

funny about the door tho haha

yea just bleed the system and then pull the wheels to inspect. Can you tell where its coming from at all?
10-4 on the wheel play. Will add it to the list of things to deal with, sooner rather than later.

My clutch does slip a little in 1st, but not that bad at all. For Over 100K on the clutch and me teaching myself how to drive a standard with this truck, it's doing pretty darn well. But I think the later of that contributed to a lot of wear lol.

I think it's somewhere in the front of the truck. But it's really hard to tell. The key symptoms are grinding/clunking felt through the brake pedal (not so much an audible thing, but I was also listening to skate punk so I may have just not heard it ) and serious brake fade (I suppose that's the best way to describe it - brakes work fine initially while slowing down, then suddenly significantly decreased stopping power). When testing after almost rear-ending my buddy the stopping power was fine, but the clunk was still there. The grinding felt mechanical, like gears grinding. Which is freaking weird.

I should clarify on the spongy brakes thing - after a couple pumps they get firm again. Does that change anything? Bleeding still seems like a good course of action....
Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #123
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
10-4 on the wheel play. Will add it to the list of things to deal with, sooner rather than later.

My clutch does slip a little in 1st, but not that bad at all. For Over 100K on the clutch and me teaching myself how to drive a standard with this truck, it's doing pretty darn well. But I think the later of that contributed to a lot of wear lol.

I think it's somewhere in the front of the truck. But it's really hard to tell. The key symptoms are grinding/clunking felt through the brake pedal (not so much an audible thing, but I was also listening to skate punk so I may have just not heard it ) and serious brake fade (I suppose that's the best way to describe it - brakes work fine initially while slowing down, then suddenly significantly decreased stopping power). When testing after almost rear-ending my buddy the stopping power was fine, but the clunk was still there. The grinding felt mechanical, like gears grinding. Which is freaking weird.

I should clarify on the spongy brakes thing - after a couple pumps they get firm again. Does that change anything? Bleeding still seems like a good course of action....

mine just slipped a tad too. ONly had 117k? on it. But i learned on it..offroaded it and taught 3 other people on it haha

okay brake fad. Thats different. Bleed em for sure. check your lines for a leak or just tad loose connection.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #124
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
okay brake fad. Thats different. Bleed em for sure. check your lines for a leak or just tad loose connection.
The grinding/clunk though. That's what's throwing me off.

It wasn't brake fade in the traditional sense. It was Driving 30, apply brakes, slowing down as normal until 15mph, crazy grinding feeling through the pedal and 20% stopping power from 15mph-0.

I will check for leaks again tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure there are none. Wheeling in southern california = dust on EVERYTHING. Makes it really easy to see if anything's leaking anywhere on your rig.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #125
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Googlefu suggests it could be a problem with ABS / a wheel sensor based on the symptoms. Now to figure out how to test that.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #127
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Well I was driving on a shitty road (asphault?) with patches of loose sand/dirt on top. That was when it grinded the worse. Was between trails. The testing afterward was in loose sand/dirt and didn't have the grinding, just the clunk (which conceivably could be something separate entirely as I've had one off and on for a while now). Maybe the loose sand/dirt on hard surface confused the ABS stuff. Will pull the fuse and see what happens. Or just put the pin back in my UG lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #128
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
OK, did some more testing today:

Brakes appear fine. LOTS of pad life left (this is passenger, but driver looks the same):

No rocks/obstructions in the calipers / etc as far as I can tell. No leaks.

I'm beginning to think more and more that it was ABS kicking in (I've never had it do that before, AFAIK, so I don't have anything to compare it to).

I jacked the truck up and yanked on outer tie rods, cv's, control arms, and spindle. Nothing has any play in it as far as I can tell (well CV's slight horizontal, but that's supposed to happen). I can turn the wheel with the caliper (with keys in), and no noticeable play. There IS slight play on both front wheels horizontally (3 & 9). Driver is more noticeable, but there IS a very small amount on the passenger side.

I'm beginning to think that it's the steering rack guide:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160576

I noticed what could be a slight leak around that big ol' bolt when I did the diff drop recently, but I thought it was just from servicing the u-joint right there. Based on the symptoms described in the above thread, it seems like that could be my mystery clunk.

There is probably a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel, which I thought could be remedied with the tack weld some folks put on. So, I tested that today, and there does seem to be some play between the two pieces of the steering column below the dash. What gets interesting is I tried to tighten that bolt there, and felt a bit of a clunk every time I tried to tighten, similar to the clunk I've noticed recently. So, I'm thinking the mystery clunk has something to do with the steering rack.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #129
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
In case somebody stumbles upon this thread looking for how to adjust the steering rack guide - this was a pretty cool trick I learned on ttora. Use a 5/8" coupler. Got it for ~$1.50 from HD. Fits a 24mm socket, which is convenient as that's the socket you should already have for drain/fill bolts on diff/transfer/tranny.

Boom:

Also, in grabbing various parts of the steering assembly, I noticed slight play here (above the steering rack, grabbing onto that intersection thing with all the bolts on it):

Anybody have any suggestions on what could be causing that?

Pretty sure my outer tie rods are fine (yanking on them/pry bar no movement). I checked the torque of the innie rack guide bolt and it's at spec of 18ft/lbs...
Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #130
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Well, today I:

I thought I found my clunk:

I tack'd it (first time using a welder, actually came out pretty damn good), and now there's no play from the u-joint at the firewall to the wheel. BUT there still is some, somewhere from that u joint to the out tie rods. More testing tomorrow

Thread for anyone looking to fix their steering slop if it's from slip-joint:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...teering+rattle
Old 01-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #131
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In case somebody stumbles upon this thread looking for how to adjust the steering rack guide - this was a pretty cool trick I learned on ttora. Use a 5/8" coupler. Got it for ~$1.50 from HD. Fits a 24mm socket, which is convenient as that's the socket you should already have for drain/fill bolts on diff/transfer/tranny.

Boom:

Also, in grabbing various parts of the steering assembly, I noticed slight play here (above the steering rack, grabbing onto that intersection thing with all the bolts on it):

Anybody have any suggestions on what could be causing that?

Pretty sure my outer tie rods are fine (yanking on them/pry bar no movement). I checked the torque of the innie rack guide bolt and it's at spec of 18ft/lbs...
I've been following to see what you come up with, that splined joint below the rag joint in your bottom pic was where all of my play came from. I had to replace the bolt that clamps the assembly to the splines, play all gone. Made a clicking noise too before I replaced the bolt.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #132
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDN View Post
I've been following to see what you come up with, that splined joint below the rag joint in your bottom pic was where all of my play came from. I had to replace the bolt that clamps the assembly to the splines, play all gone. Made a clicking noise too before I replaced the bolt.
Awesome. Learn something new every day. Didn't know that was called a "rag joint." You're referring to the bolt between the rag joint and u joint then? Didn't realize that was splined... Interesting.

Also, of that addicted hybrid.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #133
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
You mentioned u-joint and made me question my answer, lol, so I went and snapped a quick pic.
It's the horizontal bolt at the bottom. You can just see the splines.

There is another horizontal bolt at the upper end where it attaches to the sector(?) shaft, that's splined too and might need a turn.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #134
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Yes that is the bolt I thought you were referring to. I mistakingly thought there was a u joint below that

Very much appreciate your help. Originally that was one of the places I noticed play. Will check around there tomorrow. +1 for the help / taking the picture!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #135
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting up on your solution, Timmy. I don't have a clunk, but my steering could be tighter. I think I'll check that joint on my rig.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #136
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Thanks for posting up on your solution, Timmy. I don't have a clunk, but my steering could be tighter. I think I'll check that joint on my rig.
It's worth looking into. Drove on the highway today and the steering is noticeably tighter. It takes 10s to see if it's an issue for you - grab the steering shaft below the dash with one hand, and move the wheel back and forth with your other hand. If there is any play, chances are it's in the slip-joint.

I still have some rotational play above the steering rack, but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be there. I torqued everything to spec today, but didn't have a lot of time to really mess around with it. Don't know too much about steering stuff... leaning more and more daily!

I've also got some play in the u joint that comes out of the transfer case, so I'm thinking that actually may be the source of the clunk, as it "feels" like it's under the seat. But you never know what's resonating off the frame... More testing!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #137
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about redoing my setup in the rear.... Pretty happy with how it is now for sleeping, but the storage situation has turned out to not be as ideal. Namely, bins and my toolbox jumping around when wheeling. And I don't really like that it ends up pressed against the side glass (hence the piece of cardboard). Thinking about raising up the platform ~4-5" so I can fit the toolbox and other fullsize bins below the platform. This will reduce the headroom, but as it currently is I can't sit up all the ways anyways (I'm a little over 6' and it's like 1" too short). The way it's designed now, it's entirely modular so the center piece can slide out and go where those bins are under-neath. So, when it's just me I have more headroom. But obviously can't do that with two people in the back. Been doing a lot of scheming and may have figured out a way to make it all work. Will involve getting rid of the topper and using my industrial sewing machine

One of our cats seems to approve of how it is now though:
Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #138
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Custom soft topper?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #139
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
Custom soft topper?
Maybe

I've got two design ideas that I'm working out. It will be different than any soft-topper I've ever seen. And I think accomplish everything I want (better storage solution and headroom when sleeping in the back).
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #140
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Would be cool to have something low for driving that you could raise when parked of some sorts

Products Discussed in this Thread