1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finishing my Beater-to-Badass Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by yumyumtaco, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sep 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    yumyumtaco

yumyumtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    Total Chaos Suspension RaceRunner Shocks w/ reservoirs Flared carbon fiber front pushed-out rear fenders
    So, after a Long awaited "END" to my hiatus... I have decided to start-to-finish- my 96-2wd-wanabe- Yoda. (yoda bc its part puke green and small and wide lol)
    I bought the truck for 2500 a year or so ago and bought a used TC LT kit which my buddy and myself installed i have been easy on it up until this point and i NOW want to build it from Beater-to-Badass...lol any help would be greatly appreciated and i hope to be able to attemp to keep up with the big boy builders soon. lol :evil: Now for some pics....lol

Photo 113.jpg
    Photo 116.jpg
    Photo 118.jpg
    Photo 121.jpg

2. Sep 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    Badass! congrats dude

3. Sep 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    Total Chaos Suspension RaceRunner Shocks w/ reservoirs Flared carbon fiber front pushed-out rear fenders
    ^thankyou! now i just need to know a few things like 1- are spindles really worth having? 2- what direction i should go for my rear end..? maybe linked or cantilever? or just deaver with shackles and smoothies and save the money?

4. Sep 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    UP-DATE: so i ordered 16" 2 tube bypass piggyback fox shocks for the rear and i plan on ordering all pro springs for the rear as well (unless some one on here can change my mind) also doing a SUA setup and i will be in need of some SHACKLES for that... i can gusset them myself. ALSO- will the AP springs bolt right up to factory spots? or will i need to fab those up when i put in the rear shackles? any thoughts? p.s about to do a rattle-can paint job to those ugly green fenders....

5. Sep 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    UPDATED ONCE AGAIN! (p.s I cant find my Build on the Build threads... how come?) New paint on the fenders... a rattle can job... but better than what I had before! haha

Photo 121.jpg
    Photo 122.jpg

6. Sep 6, 2013 at 3:21 AM
    JawKnee

JawKnee I <3 Pink Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ontario Ranch
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    Total Chaos, DMZ, Deaver, Sway-Away, KMC, BFG, Hella, ICOM, BTF, Glassworks, Trac Performance, Lowrance.
    Looks like your running the older TC kit with the stock lower ball joint brackets. Trade in those lowers and get the newer solid one piece. I've seen plenty of guys snap those lower brackets.

7. Sep 6, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L

Trade in??? Or is it even possible to gusset the lower brackets?

8. Sep 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    Under 1st gen builds

Which AP springs?
    And if you're going to get LT leafs then you'll have to weld on new hangers.

9. Sep 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    Now ive hEard that the OLDER style TC LT kit comes with a weak Lower arm connection from the arm to the spindle... is there anyway i can gusset or strengthen it w/o having to order new lowers?

10. Sep 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    bump on the front LCA question? and also, UPDATE: I am purchasing Deaver f55's and shackles. to start the "REAR LONG TRAVEL" portion of my project.... I am begining to see the benefits of BUYING a previously done toyo truck, vs. building my own... lol

11. Sep 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    I am to the point where i want to either borrow a tube bender... or just buy one... havent looked into prices thought

12. Sep 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    Yes, I thought that after I finished my truck. But I like the fact I made it, makes me proud to drive it.

I just bought a draw-through tube bender. $450 for the bender and $400 for the die set. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper down there, since I bought mine up in Canada but its a ballpark.

13. Sep 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    JawKnee

JawKnee I <3 Pink Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ontario Ranch
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    Total Chaos, DMZ, Deaver, Sway-Away, KMC, BFG, Hella, ICOM, BTF, Glassworks, Trac Performance, Lowrance.
    I've seen a few guys mill out a block of 4130 and created a replacement bracket. Other than that no other options. Hit up Total Chaos and see how much new lowers cost.

14. Sep 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    hmmm very interesting! ok new question... anyone know of anyone who has put an LCE engine, into a 96-newer? same engine mounts? Smog legal? in Ca? i am reaching over 240k on my motor and im ready to start thinking about a conversion/ rebuild. but i would like to get little more power (maybe High performance motor.) but im not sure rules about smog ect... anyone have experience with california dummy green thumb laws?

15. Sep 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    SO.. as a temporary ride-softening technique i want to install the rancho 9000x shocks in the back with my stock springs for now... any one have any experience with these? or has a RECOMMENDATION on what shocks to install on my truck?

16. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    yumyumtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SO-CAL
    Vehicle:
    96 preRunner, 2.4L
    ^scratch that idea. im gunna stick with billstiens for the rear... just for a little while. lol I see DTF does great work for fabbin me a bumper.... DTF bumper in the future for me? that is... is he'll make me one that will bolt up :)

Products Discussed in

To Top