Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

"Lil Beast" Build thread (Bamatoy1997)

Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
"Lil Beast" Build thread (Bamatoy1997)

I'm just getting this thread started because, well, to tell the truth I have been really busy at work, and didn't expect that I would have gotten the Tacoma disease so quickly. It is spreading faster than I expected and I am not sure how much longer I have left! (Or how much money!!!) So while I get all of the bigger details ready for the nitty-gritty, here is a before and an after photo as far as where she sits now.

She earned her nickname 2 years ago around February when we had a big Alabama mods and meet at Brian's house in Huntsville Alabama. She is a little 4 banger 2.7, and was running 100% stock, on street tires. She wasn't scared though. She ran the trails with the big boys and had a blast. When a bigger, lifted Tacoma got stuck in a mud hole, she was the little engine that could, and snatched the truck out of the hole....on street tires! Ever since she has been affectionately called "Lil Beast"!

This is her shortly after I got her, and shortly after I opened my shop!

This is the truck that was stuck, which she pulled out, thus earning her name.

And this is what she looks like currently (Note this picture will change periodically as mods are still being made)

To date the following changes, modes have been made:

• Body work performed to remove dents from side-rollover (done by myself, and my nephew)
  • New, custom paint (done by me)
  • Engine was replaced due to abuse from previous driver. New 2.7 3RZ-FE.
  • Engine bearing failure (#1 rod bearing) after 1 year, rebuilt with replacement donor crank.
  • Fabtech 2.5 coils and springs in front
  • Dakar leaf pack in rear (3 inch) with Bilstein rear shocks
  • Spartan locker installed in front differential
  • CARR Rota-light bar on roof with 32inch LED lightbar.
  • 285 85R16 Treadwright Warden AT tires with new 16inch steel D rims.
  • LED bedlights
  • complete LED conversion on interior lights, including cluster
  • Exterior lights converted to LED
  • Reverse lights converted to 7watt CREE LED bulbs.
More mods of course are on their way, including a new bumper and winch. Shortly after I hope to get some sliders, underbody armor, and a bed rack for a future RTT.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
You did an awesome job on the pain
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks. It actually has some really bad orange-peel to it that I still haven't taken care of yet. I like the color though!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Bout time.... jk, but not really.

btw swap your pics around. If you are gonna leave a pic in your first post make your current pic the first one so that is what shows on the main board for a bump!!!

What size light bar are you looking to put on the bottom side of that mount??
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, I like the color that you picked
Old 11-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
Bout time.... jk, but not really.

btw swap your pics around. If you are gonna leave a pic in your first post make your current pic the first one so that is what shows on the main board for a bump!!!

What size light bar are you looking to put on the bottom side of that mount??
I already have a 21 inch bar. However with the new bumper from Relentless coming soon, I am not sure if I am going to mount this on on the overhead, or on the bumper. I will have to look and see after the bumper is installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTHe FioLOxX View Post
Looks great, I like the color that you picked
Thanks. It is actually a custom color. I started with 2010 Dodge Viper Blue Pearl. Then I mixed in .004" Patriot blue flake, and .008" Cobalt blue metal flake.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
GATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Alex
Location: B'ham, AL. Can be found in good ole Cherry Point, NC
GATORTACO92's Tacoma Gallery
so i read in another thread that youre also in...i see youre getting a bumper....when will this be in
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORTACO92 View Post
so i read in another thread that youre also in...i see youre getting a bumper....when will this be in
It is supposed to ship this week from Relentless Fabrication, but I know he is really busy so I am not really expecting to see it til next weekend. Then I have to weld it up. (I got the DIY kit) Once I get it welded then the winch will go on, and I will begin working on the dual batteries and a few other custom bits and pieces for the front. I have another smaller LED bar that is I believe 21" which will be mounted on the bumper as well. She will be getting many electrical upgrades when the dual battery setup is installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Subbed!

Hey, where'd you find your engine? I've considered getting a spare just in case...
I bought it from a company called JIS engines. I found them on ebay, but I did a lot of research about the company before I bought it. They had the short block that I wanted, and it was totally rebuilt from the ground up. If memory serves it is .020" bored over. Small amount really for this engine. The cylinder head is brand new casting from another company I found on ebay and researched. I spent about 30 minutes cleaning out all of the styrofoam BBs! Having a spare engine has it's ups and downs. It is not good for an engine to just sit there. Corrosion and rust can build up just from moisture in the air. You have to have it sealed up and packed well from the beginning.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Dont expect the bumper within a week of shipment, afterall it is fastenal that ships it and they are not a shipping company. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it took around 10 days for mine and tacoalamode's skids to get to the fastenal by my house from eric. not only that but expect a delay because it is end of the year and many large industrial corporations are doing their maintenance now and that means fastenal is slammed... have many friends/classmates that work in various positions with fastenal, all the way from sales desk to a former class mate and pretty good friend that is this divisions manager. He is who informed me of the delay for my bumper to come from california last week and why.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
Dont expect the bumper within a week of shipment, afterall it is fastenal that ships it and they are not a shipping company. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it took around 10 days for mine and tacoalamode's skids to get to the fastenal by my house from eric. not only that but expect a delay because it is end of the year and many large industrial corporations are doing their maintenance now and that means fastenal is slammed... have many friends/classmates that work in various positions with fastenal, all the way from sales desk to a former class mate and pretty good friend that is this divisions manager. He is who informed me of the delay for my bumper to come from california last week and why.
Would be true if Fastenal was the shipper. In my case, since it is a smaller crate full of pieces, I am having mine shipped UPS. It is supposed to leave this week, so I figure I give them 7-10 days. I didn't exactly word out what I was saying correctly. What I was meaning is I was not expecting to see it SHIPPED until next weekend. My bad.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
gotcha. didnt know he shipped anything bigger than bed bars with anything other than fastenal?? huh, that's cool. at least you will have tracking now! the unkown part of where my bumper was is what made the wait seem even longer.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
ASE Master Tech

I know the feeling. When I made the purchase I was expecting Fastenal as the only shipper, but there was an option for UPS which was actually cheaper by $40! I am guessing that it only applies to the DIY kit, and other smaller items he sells.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Mine got here in just under a week I think. So it shouldn't be long for you!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech

I heard from him yesterday. It is already boxed up and ready to go!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
ASE Master Tech

Current items ordered or sitting in shop waiting for bumper installation:
1.----- Viair 440C onboard air compressor
2.----- 3 gallon air tank (200PSI)
3.----- heavy duty battery isolator (For future dual battery setup)
4.----- 12 gauge, 20 foot jumper cables with Anderson style plug in to be installed on bumper.
5.----- underhood aftermarket fuse block
6.----- Smittybilt 8000lb competition winch with synthetic line
Old 12-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed.
I dig the color and look forward to seeing how you do the battery isolator setup.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
ASE Master Tech

YAY! Just got the email that said my Relentless Fab bumper kit has shipped!!!!