Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
johnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud of

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery

The thought of removing both springs to install aal (and my wife's reaction) is more than I care to take on right now, haha. I so wish I had done that from the beginning, grrrr.

Edit

Good news though... Working on getting some new rubber, thinking 33x10.5 15 BFg all terrain, and wheelers type b steelies, 15"
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #22
johnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud of

Adam, you have me seriously considering the d6xl option... I subscribe to the 'do it right now' mentality:
Do it
Do it right
And do it now

Seems like I wouldn't need to disconnect the leaf from frame - just zip off the ubolts, center leaf pin, slide new leaf in (3rd spring) then zip every thing back on... Is it really that easy?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #23
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Adam, you have me seriously considering the d6xl option... I subscribe to the 'do it right now' mentality:
Do it
Do it right
And do it now

Seems like I wouldn't need to disconnect the leaf from frame - just zip off the ubolts, center leaf pin, slide new leaf in (3rd spring) then zip every thing back on... Is it really that easy?

It is not a hard job. Only a little harder than doing shackles. You'll need to undo the shackle end of the springs and undo the spring clamps so the leaves will separate. Obviously you'll need to undo the ubolts, as well as the shock. With the ubolts off and the spring clamps undone you can then undo the spring center pin that will let all the leaves open up. Then you should be able to slide the extra leaf into the pack. It should be the third from the top. On some extra leaves the hole for the center pin is a little small and needs to be drilled out a bit larger. I had to do that with mine but it was quick and easy.

Once you get the extra leaf into the pack, use some c-clamps to compress the leaves back together and reinstall the center pin. be careful not to overtighten the center pin and it can strip easily. Then put the spring clamps back together and loosely install the ubolts just enough that the center pin will seat in the spring perch. Then you can position the axle to reattach the shackle. Once the shackle is attached you can tighten the ubolts and reinstall the shock.

So it's a bit more involved than just shackles but it's really not a difficult job. I think it took me just over an hour to do both sides on my truck.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
It is not a hard job. Only a little harder than doing shackles. You'll need to undo the shackle end of the springs and undo the spring clamps so the leaves will separate. Obviously you'll need to undo the ubolts, as well as the shock. With the ubolts off and the spring clamps undone you can then undo the spring center pin that will let all the leaves open up. Then you should be able to slide the extra leaf into the pack. It should be the third from the top. On some extra leaves the hole for the center pin is a little small and needs to be drilled out a bit larger. I had to do that with mine but it was quick and easy.

Once you get the extra leaf into the pack, use some c-clamps to compress the leaves back together and reinstall the center pin. be careful not to overtighten the center pin and it can strip easily. Then put the spring clamps back together and loosely install the ubolts just enough that the center pin will seat in the spring perch. Then you can position the axle to reattach the shackle. Once the shackle is attached you can tighten the ubolts and reinstall the shock.

So it's a bit more involved than just shackles but it's really not a difficult job. I think it took me just over an hour to do both sides on my truck.

This is great, thanks!! Definitely going this route once I have a bit more cash money. The only thing that worries me is drilling holes in the leaf - I have cave man tools.

Really want to pick up at least tires, sliders and recovery gear first so I can get out on the trail more

Btw do you think the wheelers type b steelies in 15x8 and 33x10.5 would be a good fit for my truck? A little worried about weight. Found a good deal on 96 4runner alloy wheels, think they'll clear the calipers? Waiting to hear back from owner about backspace. Will post a pic of them in a few.

Edit, found out these are same bs, 4.5. Would probably stance them out a bit with spidertrax down the road. Still looking for fit info on 1st gen taco
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #26
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
drilling the extra leaf is no big deal if you need to do it. If you have any kind of electric drill and a carbide bit it will take you about 30 sec.

The Wheelers rims should fit fine. I think a 15x8" wheel with the 33x10.50s is a great combo.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #27

I've decided to pick up the 4runner wheels if they fit, and do not rub on the caliper. I'm a little worried about that but, we'll see.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #28

These photos from 4runner forum were the tipping point:
JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389389585.243142.jpg
JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389389596.439656.jpg

I think they look fantastic. Too bad I can't afford tires for a bit... Will give me time to paint them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #29

A little birdy informed me my brand new set of 4 BFG AT 33x10.5 tires will be in tomorrow. Very excited! I wanted a 5th for spare, but holding out for a cheapo used one. Plus I don't have a 5th 15" wheel yet.

Did I say how freaking stoked I am!? Posting pictures when mounted.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #30

Yup, 33x10.5. They are sooooo much better ride than the prev tires. Also, i don't notice it being a dog...

JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1390525163.961884.jpg
JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1390525175.426543.jpgJohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1390525187.627956.jpg
Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #31

Bad picture but... Painted the grill and surround today. Also ordered a set of bamf 80" sliders with kickout. Super stoked!JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392003320.118091.jpg
Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #32
bruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant future

EMS: EMT/FireFighter
Name: Brian
bruth's Tacoma Gallery
Those wheels and tires make it look completely different! I love new shoes for my truck!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #33

Thanks! Yeah much better. Suburb crawlin' with my new ryno skid... You can't see it, but it's there. Actually you won't want to see it, I screwed up the paint real bad...

The painted grill surround is actually smooth and even, you are seeing spots from my messy crappy oil change that I made waaaayyyyy messier than needed.

JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1393382141.989759.jpg

Might take her out to Mother Nature thurs or fri, taking a staycation this week. Jerry is working on my sliders too so hopefully those will be on next monthish.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #34

D6xl aal on the way - ordered from wheelers last night. I'll have a fun project next weekend with a little luck.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
D6xl aal on the way - ordered from wheelers last night. I'll have a fun project next weekend with a little luck.

Well this won't be going on the truck for. 4-6 weeks, since my appendix was removed last night. Bummer.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #36

Goodies... Now I can change a flat haha. Not sure what I'm going to do as far as mounting yet... The campershell is definitely a hindrance. No bumpers or bars to mount it on either. For now I'll chain it to the bed.

JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1395205650.068236.jpg
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #37

Pic from the weekend...
JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1395774860.918908.jpg

A few more

I suck about taking photos... Not my thing I guess.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #38

It's official I ordered a trail gear low pro bumper. Yippee. Also, jerry is welding my bamf sliders on next Wednesday. Hopefully I can paint and mount the bumper too on wed.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #39
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
What paint did you use for your wheels?

Looks awesome.

(sorry... can't remember if I already asked you this in another thread. But I am having deja vu)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #40

Thanks! It was duplicolor or something like that from napa. Matte, methinks. I'm switching to rust oleum though, semigloss. I'll paint my sliders with it next week and see how it goes!

Products Discussed in this Thread