Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #41
johnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud of

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery

Installed one aal tonight, and it was simple. Two things I learned...

1 is that you really need to take out the whole pack. Trying to work that d6xl aal into the pack while on the truck was a waste of time.

2, taking the leaves on and off is cake when you properly secure the axle.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #42
johnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud ofjohnboyTRD has much to be proud of

Couldn't wait til tomorrow for better pics... Here is the truck with d6xl aal. So much better ride and I finally feel like I can support weight when needed

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #43

Better pic in the daylight - a lot of rake, but i suspect it will settle down a bit in the next few weeks. Really wish i could have run my shackles at 1", but they won't fit without cutting. I might cut the 2" setting out if it is still super duper high in a few months.

So much more planted on turns!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #44

This trail gear bumper lines up like shit. So irritated. Bent the piss out of the side nuts trying to even get the freakin bumper cross section on. Probably knocked off a shit load of paint too, so this fucker is gonna rust. Not a happy customer.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #45

Ok so I got all but one bolt in... Something stripped, think it is the bolt... JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396143760.047762.jpgJohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396143781.858962.jpgJohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396143848.472113.jpg

Ghetto rigged blinkers and license plate: JohnboyTRD - 2003 Double Cab TRD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396143871.877479.jpg

Will definitely be letting trail gear know about the bad fitment issues
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #46

Recent pic with BAMF sliders jerry welded them up this week. Great guy to do business with.

I painted them on the truck, kind of a pain. Not recommended. Btw skid is off for better paint, that duplicolor stuff was crap.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #47

True story, I think my truck is no longer car wash friendly, at least at my 2 regular spots... Oh dear.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #48

Finally took the mtb out with the wifey. It was fun but I need to get in better shape for those climbs...

Added the tailgate pad - planning to sell campershell in favor of a softopper. Just trying to work out secure storage for the bed.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #49

Semi exciting changes soon to come... Camper shell is being sold tonight :-D
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #50

Softoppet FTW. Really like the look and function! The install instructions for it blow, makes the install much more complicated than need be.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChileTaco View Post
Nice rig! I read the info about this diff vibe on the thread created for it. I'm pretty sure I have the same problem, however, mine does not go away when shifting into 4hi, possibly because it's been doing it for about a year and half now and there's no difference because the bearing is probably really bad. I'm going to order the bushing and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't fix my vibration I can't see any harm in installing the bushing, it's better than the needle bearing for sure. Did you notice if your CV axle was worn from the bad bearing? I read a couple guys on the 2nd gens recommended replacing the CV axle as well. Anyways, I'm glad I stumbled on the thread for this, I was about to spend a bunch of money and have the wheel bearings replaced, a real PITA of a job.

Yikes! The needle bearing is definitely a good way to narrow down the list of possible issues, and not too bad of a job. I personally haven't looked at the cv that closely, but it is actually out right now (torn boot, used as spare). will check that and let you know. Honestly I doubt it will show wear as the lift was only on for a month before I addressed the issue

Let me know if you have any questions about the job.. Sounds like you found the thread. So that should cover most of it.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #52
Scenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud of

Name: Jay
Scenekyd's Tacoma Gallery
Been following your build. Good looking truck, thought I was subd but guess not so...

Subd!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #54

Ok so puting this down partially for the record (aka I won't forget) and feedback.

First, I want to have a bed rack for purposes of mounting various gear, camping, bike, recovery, snow equip, rtt (some day). I also want it to work with my softopper, but not on the outside. Ideally this would be a relatively low rack and mounted inside the softopper, and allow full functionality of retracting function.

Need to sketch it out but thinking a full length of thicker (what size??) angle steel down the bed sides and thinner section along the cab side rail (might be overkill).

The challenge here I think, is to make sure the rack supports inside are supported. I have 0 experience welding so forgive me if this sounds ignorant... I was thinking of welding a sturdy piece of steel, only a few inches squared to the bed rail steel sides, and gusseting this piece for strength. I would use square tubing for the bars.

Edit: also can support weight from the bottom of the bed itself.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #55

Reserved for further rack rambling.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #56

Shot with 1.25" BORA adapter/spacers.... Not the best pic but you get the idea. Will try and snap some with better lighting.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #57
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
The truck looks good...
Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
The truck looks good...

Thanks man headed out to Lagrange ohv on the 18th with TW'ers but thinking of going out the following weekend for hollister trip... Keep it on your radar. Once it's a for sure I'll post up on the NorCal forum.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #59
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Thanks man headed out to Lagrange ohv on the 18th with TW'ers but thinking of going out the following weekend for hollister trip... Keep it on your radar. Once it's a for sure I'll post up on the NorCal forum.
Ill try to make it to la grange. Im going camping memorial day weekend with some college friends so I wont make hollister.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
Ill try to make it to la grange. Im going camping memorial day weekend with some college friends so I wont make hollister.
Oh dang, I didn't think of that... I bet it is a zoo at hollister hills on mem day... Might stay away from that myself haha. Pretty sure I'm running the Niagra rim trail in July, and for sure slick rock in June. Def want to get a lot more seat time in before slick rock, esp after watching YouTube vids haha.

Products Discussed in this Thread