Figured I ought to start one of these... Lurked quite a bit before purchasing my truck in June 2013. Here is how she sits now:
The story - purchased this from a gentleman with about 76k miles who works around the corner from me. Was looking for a family car to accommodate our (hopefully) growing family. With two dogs we were simply running out of room in our cars already (wife has a ms3, my prev ride an 06 wrx). I decided that the 4 door tacoma 1st gen was the ticket, after MUCH research, since I wanted something capable offroad and reliable. Photo from cl posting:
Found out the timing belt had never been changed, so that was first order of business. Ouch, wallet.
My plans at this point were:
Then the rest... Who knows.
This changed quite a bit ^ when I realized a rear shock was leaking. So... I moved lift to top of the list. Went full ome from wheelers, nitrochargers, 882, Dakar, greasae shackles, driver trim packer, ss brake line, exhaust relocation, diff drop.
Did this in my garage with very primitive tool set and a friend - it was kind of a b***h.
I am one of those lucky 1st gens with a needle bearing problem in front diff... Very annoying vibration which goes away in 4wd.
Here is a pic of some treadwrights 265/75 that were a fail. I have a thread about this ongoing clusteryouknowwhat. They are not on the truck, I have the original 265/70 dueler h/t. Once these go, then we'll use 'family needs' money to upgrade I was being cheap with the tw's.
Upcoming stuff to do in January:
Will be addressing bro lean soon with longer shackles. I guess I need to cut exhaust turn a bit too.
Steering rack bushings.
Cb radio (a birdy told me I'm getting a really nice setup for cmas)
ECGs bushing fix for front diff
Next mod will be sliders so I can see my NorCal compatriots on the trail. This will be a slow build since spending is tight.