Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Chris' 98 4x4 build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Chris' 98 4x4 build

Time to stop clogging up the "What have you done to your 1st gen today?" thread with pics of my truck.

As it sits:

20140705_3313 by www.chrisjones.net, on Flickr

Here is what I've done to it so far -

Mickey Thompson Classic II 15x8 3.75 BS
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 33x12.5x15

Relentless DIY bumper
Warn M8000
Hella 500's
Trail Gear Sliders
4.56 Sierra Gears
TrueTrac LSD front
E-locker Rear Axle swap

Bilstein 5100's
881 springs
AAL

Uniden CB Radio
Yaesu FT-7800R Ham Radio
Larsen 2m/70cm NMO Antenna
Larsen NMO CB Antenna
Blue Sea fuse block

Tepui Kukenam RTT
Homemade bedrack
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Prior to owning the truck I had been thinking of transitioning away from BMW's. They are fun, but weren't entirely practical for my needs. I wanted a vehicle that I could easily get my mountain bikes, gear, and other stuff around. I wanted something that could take me off road and to places I otherwise could not get to. I wanted a truck.

I had been searching and saving for about a year and a half, watching many trucks come and go on craigslist. One Sunday afternoon I noticed an ad only 30 minutes old that seemed to be very promising. It was (surprise) a 98 4x4, 2.7L 5sp, manual TC, manual everything really. It was within my budget, mileage, and even came with a sweet shell.

I checked it out, and it was in pretty decent shape, so I bought it with my hard earned cash. Best purchase I've made.

Here are the pictures from the for sale ad:

I drove it stock for a while until the mod bug hit me. I had taken it on a trip to Downieville for some mountain biking, but didn't realize it was riding on the bump stops until I had set out. It was a rough ride, but a very fun trip.

After some research, I ordered the Bilstein 5100's and also picked up an AAL. This helped out quite a lot, and kept me over for a while.

The mod bug hit me hard. The next few things I installed were the Uniden CB Radio and a Yaesu Ham Radio.

Then I picked up some Trail Gear sliders to get ready for a Gold Lake trip I committed to. I planned on going up with some dudes from t4r.org but had no armor at the time. I ordered them from 4wheelparts, because I could pick them up pretty fast in Oakland. Well, I drove all the way out there, got them home and realized they sent me two of the same side. A giant WTF and I called them the next day to sort it out.

They finally got me the correct set the day before my trip. I spent that night welding them on and did a quick rattle can job. Even though I got to bed at about 2am, I really wanted to hit the trails!

Some pics from the trip:

The next major change was wheels and tires. I picked up these Mickey Thompson wheels on craigslist a while back and finally decided on a set of tires.

Definitely had some rubbing as I rolled out of the tire shop so I got to work with the BFH and went apeshit on the pinch weld. Still rubs a bit under compression. I'll have the caster cranked at the next alignment and that should help a bit.

Over Thanksgiving break I picked up a Tepui RTT and ordered the Relentless kit. It wasn't until these past few weeks that I've had the time to put everything together.

I roughly finished the structure of the bed rack and mounted the tent prior to a TW trip to Hull mountain. First time out camping with the tent was awesome.

All mounted and ready for the trip.

Some pics from that trip:

At the summit of Hull Mtn

Then comes the Relentless bumper. The 98-00 models require trimming the frame to install.

Spent a couple of full days lining up all the parts, tacking it up, welding, blending, etc.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #3
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Installing the new bumper created more projects.. I needed to wire the aux lights and do the turn signal relocation.

For the turn signals I went down to the auto parts store and picked up these sockets for some older cars.

Used 921 bulbs as they are the brightest that you can fit in that socket. Also, they draw enough current to let the relay blink at the correct speed.

With the aux lights, wiring was about to get messy. After much deliberation, I came up with this bracket to mount the aux fuse block. I almost mounted it over the stock fuse box, but didn't want to make it hard to access those fuses. I'm certain that the one time I have an electrical fault it would be dark out, and I'd lose the fasteners trying to get to the fuse I need.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
I think it looks awesome. That bumper style has grown on me a lot. At first I was like. and the more I see it, Now I'm like Nice work on the truck man.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I love how it changed the look of the whole truck.

I did a few more things today. Finished the side mounts on the bumper and the skid plate mounts as well. Painted everything behind the bumper black and also removed those brackets from the stock bumper that were sticking out.

All buttoned up.

Also I painted and cleaned up the mount I made for the aux fuse block.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Today I worked on the bed rack. Added hi lift mounts

Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Craigslist score!

All pro springs, shackles, and 12" 5125s

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Looking good Chris! Bumper turned out awesome

Oh and thanks for the sig pic!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Jason.. I should have taken more pics of everyone's trucks! Next time
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Mounted the hi lift jack.

Installed 881 springs

before

after

And the front shot. ARB shackles

Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
foxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to all

Name: Andrew
foxhead's Tacoma Gallery
Finally a build! Looks awesome buddy!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Andrew!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
Scenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud of

Name: Jay
Scenekyd's Tacoma Gallery
Truck is looking great! Finally found a white one that isn't going sky high!! haha. Gives some good ideas for my truck! You going to get a rear bumper?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Probably not going to get a rear bumper any time soon. Trying to save up for Alaska this summer and its not a priority. A winch is the next big item The rear suspension makeover is coming eventually but I don't have the down time with school starting again. Maybe spring break.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Scenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud of

Name: Jay
Scenekyd's Tacoma Gallery
I will definitely be watching where this build goes!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #16
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Need.. more.. switches......

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
Mr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really nice

Name: Dylan
Mr.Bohannon's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
looking awesome! how much did you score the Mickey's for?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #19
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bohannon View Post
I'm slowing down on the mods with school in session but will be back at it soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
looking awesome! how much did you score the Mickey's for?
Thank you! I scored the MT's for $150 in rough shape but I cleaned them up.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
Mr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really niceMr.Bohannon is just really nice

Name: Dylan
Mr.Bohannon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
I'm slowing down on the mods with school in session but will be back at it soon enough!

Thank you! I scored the MT's for $150 in rough shape but I cleaned them up.
Sweet! I love the low and wide look. Are those 15 or 16" rims?

Edit: sorry I see the dimensions now

Products Discussed in this Thread