Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Shipps' 1995.5 Totaled Taco

Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
braaAAAP
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Shipps' 1995.5 Totaled Taco

Greetings TW family. Not really much of a build thread cause i haven't necessarily 'built' anything on my truck..just chopped off some unnecessary things and bolted on some cooler stuff...So voila!

My beloved 95.5 Tacoma which i have deemed "Fugly Oreo".

DSC03196 by joshipps132, on Flickr

DSC02034 by joshipps132, on Flickr

DSC00676 by joshipps132, on Flickr

Engine: 3.4L
Transmission: Auto
Current Miles: 130k (7/3/2014)

Suspension:
  • Old Man Emu 882 coil springs
  • Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport shocks
  • Skyjacker leaf springs
  • Removed sway-bar

Tires/Wheels:

Armor:
Lighting:
  • Rigid Industries Dually fogs on CBI ditch light brackets
  • Rigid Dually spots in bumper

Communication:
Misc:
  • Softopper
  • Kenwood head unit
  • Ultraguage
  • Tinted windows
  • Sticker bombed glovebox for coolness & HP gainz
  • Sick nasty dent

TW Inspired Wish List:
  • Hood mounted lights
  • Softopper
  • CB radio
  • Addicted Offroad rock sliders
  • All-Pro skids
  • Onboard air/CO2
  • Warn M8000 w/ recovery gear
  • Moar lights
  • Rear bumper w/ swingout (undecided)
  • Regear/Air lockers
  • 35's?
  • New leaf springs
  • Upgraded suspension

Pictures by Monte:

Pictures by Gage (Baby Taco):
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
Quote:
Here's a couple from the other day. I have some more but probably won't get them up till later in the week.

Quote:
While you were off finding your pup.

Pictures by Marc:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Here you go man.

30-1 by sconniehailer, on Flickr

31-1 by sconniehailer, on Flickr

18-1 by sconniehailer, on Flickr

17-1 by sconniehailer, on Flickr

Oldest picture of da Taco I found. Taken somewhere in the Midwest on my 2267 mile trek from FL to WY...but who's counting, right?

Deer through window mod:
Super easy mod, just slow down a bit, spook the deer and wait for them to start running, then floor it.
Deer will attempt to vault over the truck but fail miserably and obliterate the back corner of your cab.
The frigid winter air blowing in from the back seat makes this mod well worth it.
First legitimate modification made to the truck was tires and wheels. The old 31x10.50 Pro Comp A/T's were about bald and would occasionally squeal on the pavement when getting boisterous with the skinny pedal.
Went with 32x11.50 KM2's. They worked out nicely because I was able to drive on them for a couple months with no lift.
Had to trim the plastic lining inside the fender a little bit and massage the pinch weld with a BFH to keep them from rubbing when turning hard or articulating.

Then along came Tacoma World while on my quest for the right lift kit for my truck.
I decided on Old Man Emu 882 coil springs because I already had plans for an aftermarket bumper and winch setup. I paired them with Skyjacker leaf springs in the rear and OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks all around.

Finished product:

Priming and painting the bumper:

Mounting the bumper was an adventure all on its own. Some of the holes didn't line up properly which makes me think I probably have a slightly tweaked frame.
I've gotten a little rambunctious with the tow hooks these past few winters so i can't say I was surprised.
After a few mount - unmount - torch - repeat sessions she was sturdier than ever.

Drifting season:

Toy Hauling:

Softopper installed:

Keeping the legacy of Monte's 33's alive:

Then this happened...
DSC00346 by joshipps132, on Flickr
Old 02-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Only women shave beneath the neck.
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!! Love the deer mod, haha. I've always had a thing for the 90's first gens.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
braaAAAP
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribull View Post
Very nice!! Love the deer mod, haha. I've always had a thing for the 90's first gens.
Haha ah yes the good old deer mod. I have to agree with you there, just something about the 90's first gens.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
trailbikerider is on a distinguished road

trailbikerider's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking truck!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbikerider View Post
Great looking truck!
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Great build. I've always had an itch to move to Wyoming. It seems to have such a natural beauty and tranquility to it.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondy52 View Post
Great build. I've always had an itch to move to Wyoming. It seems to have such a natural beauty and tranquility to it.
Thanks! Much more to come! Took me about a year to really get used to the vast terrain and appreciate what's here, coming from Florida especially where the furthest horizon is maybe a mile away, besides the ocean. However, the mountainous areas truly are a world of their own, absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I could live anywhere in this region without mountains.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
95 FTW!!

also..i still have some 33x12.5r15s you might want....
Never got rid of em huh? You've got my gears turning now lol
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet 1995 man, your front bumper looks sweet!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelsisTaco View Post
Sweet 1995 man, your front bumper looks sweet!

Thanks man, it was a bit of a PITA lol I'm happy with how it turned out though. Should look nice with some lights and a winch.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of a winch are you going to get?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Will probably end up going with a Warn m8000 I've heard lots of good things about them.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
ragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
ragincajun35's Tacoma Gallery
love the first gens. Sweet build!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun35 View Post
love the first gens. Sweet build!

Thanks man! Really digging your build as well. Your allpro bed rack and canvas combo is too cool.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pictures from the other day!

josh5 by BabyTaco, on Flickr

josh4 by BabyTaco, on Flickr

josh3 by BabyTaco, on Flickr

josh2 by BabyTaco, on Flickr

josh by BabyTaco, on Flickr

josh6 by BabyTaco, on Flickr
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha awesome shots Gage!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
braaAAAP

shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a Softopper from their factory in Boulder last week and got it installed last night/this morning. Will take me a little bit to get used to seeing the truck with a topper but overall i'm very pleased.

The construction seems durable and sturdy and I'm anxious to get it out and do some camping and wheeling with it to see how it holds up. Installation is very straight forward as long as you read the directions. My only issue was fastening the buttons on the bed rail. Had my shop been heated up or if i waited for a warm day it wouldn't have been an issue, but thats no fun is it?

My original plan was an RTT but i saw the Softopper getting put to use much more than an RTT as the winters here are fairly long and the camping season quite short. Bed space was also my selling point considering i like to haul a dirtbike or 2 every now and then and having an RTT/bedrack wouldn't allow me to do that without buying a trailer of some sorts. I think with a good sleeping bag and maybe a self-inflating pad, camping in the bed should be quite cozy!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You should build a simple platform in the back and then just get a foam topper for a bed.