1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinions on my future build. Any suggestions would be great!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by The wormer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Feb 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    The wormer

The wormer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    None at the moment. will be changing that soon!! ;)
    I would like to do the following mods to my 02 trd v6. It is completely stock at the moment and would like to change that;). I am just looking for opinions about the products and if you have any experience with them. Just want to do it right the first time and not have to mess around with all of it. I do want to let you know first hand that I am 17 and still in high school for another year so budget is kinda a factor here. I will for sure post pics during the process.
    Thank Tristan

3 in lift hoping i can run 17s with this one
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...oma_p_784.html
    I would like to note that I keep 600 pounds of sand in the back of my truck about 5 to 6 months out the year for the extra weight so if that would effect the lift please say.

4 of this wheels
    http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel.cfm?id=177

one arb deluxe bull bar
    http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...a-3423020.html

a arb locking front differential what spine do I want to use. Haven't been able to find out.
    http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Air-Lock...D90-P3563.aspx

a exhaust system that will give it a little growl not too loud but no old man one either. I dont know which one. Would love some suggestions.

making my own skid plates that will cover everything back to the transfer case.

these nerf bars
    http://www.runningboardworld.com/n-f...1995-2004.aspx

last new tires
    http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...31201902700000

Im sorry its so long but I wanted to put all the stuff in. Thanks for looking and reading.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Feb 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    The wormer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    Anybody?

3. Feb 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Are you going to do much offroading? Some of what you have listed is geared around that and some is not so I am a little confused.

For instance, the extra skid plates and front locker make it sound like you've got some plans for some difficult offroading. But the running boards you listed will get trashed in short order.

As for the 17" wheels with that lift, you can run 17's with no lift, just depends on the tire you choose to run.

I don't have personal experience with the Toytec lift but people seem to like it fine. A full replacement leaf pack will be better than just an add-a-leaf like that kit comes with. There are lots of options for leaf springs. OME, All Pro, Alcan, Deaver....

I wouldn't waste your money on the running boards and take a look and some real rock sliders. Lots of great options you could find here on this forum for sliders that will offer real protection.

Is the front locker really necessary? You could easily tackle that later on if you find you really need it. I tackle some fairly difficult stuff in my Tacoma with just the rear TRD locker. Haven't needed a front locker. Might save you some money to go without that.

4. Feb 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    IronPig

IronPig Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit, LR UCA's, T3 eyelids, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, FN Type X wheels, Debadged, Homer Taco Raptor Grill and lower valance grill, painted lower valance, blacked out skid plate, Flyze Eye interior light, LED interior lights, EZ down tailgate
    The toytech lift kit you linked to was for Gen 1 Toyotas, yours in a Gen 2. Go to the site and make sure you clink on the 2005+ year Toyota lift kits. People will recommend the OME lift, or the Ultimate Lift kit. Then there are always the "higher" end (meaning cost) Icons, Kings, etc.. You may want to think about UCA's also if you get anywhere near a 3" lift.

5. Feb 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    His profile says his truck is an '02. That would be a 1st Gen truck. I'm guessing your law enforcement job isn't detective? ;)

6. Feb 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    The wormer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    Well this is more of kind of a quick write up and wanted people opinions. I do a quite bit of off roading which is why i wanted the skids and also I can make them and have basically an unlimited supply to steel and stuff so i dont have to buy it just make it. I should of been a little more specific about the fact that I am thinking about doing a front locker. I dont know forsure that will be the last thing I do if I have the cash. What nerf bars or rock sliders would you recommend?
    I would like to run 265/70/r17 duratracs.
    So would adding a leaf not be worth the money and i should just buy new leaf pack and if so which would you recommend considering I run that 600 poounds of sand about 5-6 months and have a toolbox with about 200 in it all the time. Also if it matters I work as a field scouter so I have a fourwheeler on a trailer hooked to my truck about 80% of the time during the spring and summer. Thanks for all the help

7. Feb 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    well midswell make your sliders too if your going to make a set of skids..??
    but if you plan on purchasing sliders i like BAMF and a lot of other people on here seem to as well. i just got the boss kit w/ full OME leaf packs and so far I've only been able to get the front coil overs in. (it took them a really long time to ship so you might want to call and ask how long it will take if you are concerned about that) So far i love the coil overs haven't really been able to fully test them yet but on the road they are pretty sweet. So the reason my leaf didn't end up going in yet is because one of the shackles was seized to the old leaf pack so i made my own shackle temporarily.. then after i got that side done i got to the last bolt on the other side (one between the gas tank & frame) and it was SUPER seized. So if you get new leafs which it seems you probably should, be prepared with all new hardware unlike me.. i had to take all the new stuff i just put on and put the old stuff on so i can drive it..
    Also like mentioned above if your going with 3" lift you may want to think about after market upper control arms. it will help with the alignment. Light racing makes the cheapest and camburg is mid priced and total chaos & icon is expensive. They are not NEEDED but without them it will put a lot more wear&tear on ball joints (specifically upper BJ)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  8. Feb 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    The wormer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    As the title said I have choose what I am going to do with the front and that is the Old Man Emu struts and 883 coils and camburg upper control arms. I have however choose the shocks I'm putting on the rear and those are the Icon rear VS 2.0 shocks.
    Here are the icon shocks
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/ICON-95-04-Tacoma-Rear-VS-20-Shocks_p_1051.html
    Now onto my problem. I think I am going to get the old man emu rear leaf pack which is said to give 2 1/4 inch of lift and getting a add a leaf to that to add a little extra lift which is said to give 1/2 inch so I am at 2 3/4. Would that 1/4 of an inch be noticeable or should I also buy a 1 inch block and get rid of the add a leaf? Or get both the block and add a leaf because I have all that weight in the back of my truck and I pull the trailers.
    Here are the links
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Old-Man-Emu-rear-springs_p_144.html
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/OME-Extra-leaf-for-CS046R-springs_p_1081.html
    http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Rear-1-inch-Block-Kit-includes-U-bolts_p_131.html

9. Mar 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    IronPig

IronPig Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit, LR UCA's, T3 eyelids, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, FN Type X wheels, Debadged, Homer Taco Raptor Grill and lower valance grill, painted lower valance, blacked out skid plate, Flyze Eye interior light, LED interior lights, EZ down tailgate
    Ouch! That made me laugh! I guess I misread it! The funny (not) part is that I run our Detective Bureau!!

10. Apr 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    The wormer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    haha it happens to the best of us. money is slowly coming to me so hopefully i can get a new bumper after hitting a deer and then order lift. going to be making my own flat bed similar to this one

truck flatbed.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top