Notices

reh5108's 4 bangin 4x4 build

Old 03-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Reh5108 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
reh5108's 4 bangin 4x4 build

How she currently sits 4/5/2014

I bought this truck in Feb of 2013. Bought it with 145,xxx miles on it. It is a 2.7 5 speed with 4.30 gears. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TRUCK!!! LOL. It is my first 4x4 and I don't know how I ever lived without that. My main purpose for buying a truck was hauling kayaks and for hunting.

Here's how she looked when I bought her...well minus the mud lol

I have never really done any mechanical service on any vehicle but plan on doing all maintenance and whatever else I decide to do to her myself. This forum is extremely helpful and I'm sure what I can't figure out on my own you guys will be here to help

My first mod was an aftermarket head unit. I can't stand fm radio so I wanted to be able to listen to Slacker radio from my phone. I went with the JVC KDR730BT In Dash CD Receiver and am very happy with it. The bluetooth sync is very nice. (I hate wires). It also came with a mic that I wired up and put on the A arm. Works well there and haven't had any complaints about noise in the year its been there. When I had the dash apart I decided to route a charging cable through the vent to hide most of the wire. I debated on whether to plug it into the head unit or the auxillary port. I went with the aux port since it charges much faster. Added a tetrax mount for my phone over the airbag indicator. Works great! Holds my beast of a Note 2 just fine.

About a month after I had the truck this happened.

Going to work and was hit by a backhoe. My empoyer covered everything and even had some other minor scratches repaired

Decided I wanted to try out black wheels and not having a whole lot of money decided to plasti dip them.

With the left over plasti dip I decided to cover the chrome.

Bought a hitch and during installation I realized my leaf spring was cracked.

Ordered some new leaf springs. This would be my first real repair on the truck and I'd say it went fairly well. All of the u bolts need some heat to break loose and I cut one of the shackle pins not realizing it was actually fixed to the plate. I thought it was just another bolt I could replace. Ended up just drilling the old pin out and putting a bolt in its place. I think in the future I might get a 1" shackle lift so this will work for the time being.

Saw a picture of one of these emblems online and decided to make my own. I pulled the antlers in a little closer than the one I had seen and had a coworker cut it out with the plasma cutter. I was very impressed by his precision on just the raw cut. I did file and grind to get everything as symmetrical as I could then sprayed it with clear coat.

Taking me places I would never go without 4x4

Got an old push bar from work that came off a vehicle we no longer had. I'm still not sure if I like it 100% or not but its staying until I get a plate bumper.

Bought a topper to be able to lock all my hunting gear up in.

Drove 2 hours to DC area to pick up the cap and along the way I picked up an ungodly amount of salt.

Installed some LED strip lights in the bed and also decided I want to do some camping out of it so I built a platform. I plan on putting carpet in eventually but for now this is it.

With the remaining lights I decided to use them under the hood. They give out plenty of light.

I don't have any pictures but I did the fog light mod as well. Here is one of the output of the fogs though.

Not the best but still able to drive with just them.

3-20-14

Lifted!

Installed an OME lift with an AAL in the rear. I went with the 881 springs and couldn't be happier with the ride. Wasn't too difficult to install. Worst part was breaking all the nuts loose. I had to use heat on just about everyone of them. I'm glad I did this myself, learned a lot about the truck and saved a couple buck!

Measurements were taken from center of hub to fender.
Before:
DF: 21"
PF: 21"
DR: 20"
PR: 20.5"

After:
DF: 23.5"
PF: 23.5"
DR: 23"
PR: 22.25"

3-30-114:

Bought some new to me wheels and tires from a member on here. They are 295/75/16's Nitto Terras sitting on Motometal 955's. She is stuffed!! Haven't had to trim a whole lot yet but haven't had it flexed hard yet either.

First pic with them on. Hope to get some better ones soon.

I have a lot of future plans but money with ultimately determine if I accomplish them or not.
Future Mods:
Header
Sliders
Plate Bumpers
Supercharger?
Fog Lights
A bunch of other smaller things I'll add pictures as I complete them.

Thanks for looking!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #2

Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking pickup man! That salt looks like some nasty stuff
Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted!

Before

After

Didn't think to really take some before and after pics so that what I got lol
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipps View Post
Good looking pickup man! That salt looks like some nasty stuff
Yea washed all that off the day after. My headlights barely lit up the road at night!