LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

johnnycham's 2003 Pre-runner to 4wd conversion.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Johnnycham is on a distinguished road
Name: johnny
Johnnycham's Tacoma Gallery
johnnycham's 2003 Pre-runner to 4wd conversion.

grettings, this is my small build. just gonna copy it from TTORA since i made the thread 2 years back. added updated stuff at the end of post.

Greeting folks, figured i show some pictures of my Double Cab to 4WD conversion using a inchworm lefty single case conversion. some price numbers for some that are interested in using lefty instead of stock.

Air vacuum A.D.D front diff from 99 4Runner w/hubs and axle. $250.00
new front wheel bearings . $120.00 or so can't remember.
Inchworm lefty with adapters, shift knob etc, etc. $2700.00
Bud built cross member w/skids and diff mount. $450.00
Drive shaft shortened and balancing. $250.00
front Drive shaft from ebay. $50.00
1" drive shaft spacer for front shaft. $40.00
U bolts, nuts and washer for cross member. $60.00
New front console. $40.00
solenoid, rubber transfer case boot, misc. $60.00

Total . $4020.00

probably a little more. i could have went with a stock donor trans with transfer case and save a bunch but i my truck only has 80K miles and i am the original owner. i wish that i had gotten a 4WD from the get go, but i just couldn't afford it then.

had a bit of trouble with the transfer case coupler, so that delayed the install for 2 weeks, but hell. i had just started the install after a year of buying most of the parts. everything went in smooth and it does look beautiful underneath the truck, lol. i'll have to get pictures of the inside later, for the untrained eye, this truck looks stock from the inside, with the front j shifter toyota style

tail housing off getting ready to install adapter.

front diff. i had this installed for like 9 months head, so i was driving around with a front axle with no center diff for a while, lol.

the output shaft coupler that was not the right size for some reason. it was a 23 spline but was too small for my V6 trans output shaft,
fit the T-case perfectly, had to send it back to inchworm to widen i guess.

spacer and adaper installed. getting ready for lefty to mount up.

drive shaft shortend and balanced. ready to go in.

adapters and lefty installed. budbuilt cross member installed using U bolts. initially the case and the cross member hung too low as i though the cross member would meet with the frame. took around 3 days to think of something to use as spacer, and i found these hard rubber blocks that was just the size i needed. good thing i got them for free,lol. plus, they should help resonate with and vibrations.

mounted up, with double cross member, lol.

almost done.

some interior pic + driveshaft installed.

4WD engaged!

console w/shifter. initially the shifter was straight, had to do some bending since a stock yota shifter cost an arm and a leg, and Ebay did not have one listed at the time.

4Runner t-case shift knob from ebay, 4WD button activates the front A.D.D

spacer for front shaft. i may get the front shaft extended in the future.

small trail run testing the 4wd.

Mocked up some 33x12.5 x15 waiting on wheels and full Lift kit from Toytec 3" OME package.

as it stands now.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 CC
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
awesome!!!!

I, like you, didnt have the funds for a 4x4 and regret not having one. Your build looked simple enough but i was wondering how much issues youve had with it. How much all together was it and was it worth it. And can you install a locker in the diff you got. Thx.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Sperhart303 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CE
Sperhart303's Tacoma Gallery
Great conversion! Inchworm t-case looks great!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
I, like you, didnt have the funds for a 4x4 and regret not having one. Your build looked simple enough but i was wondering how much issues youve had with it. How much all together was it and was it worth it. And can you install a locker in the diff you got. Thx.

It wasn't that hard really. just the front ADD solenoid's wiring i came up with and some brain storming for the T-case mounts and time. I'm pretty sure i can get a locker for the front, just like a normal 4wd car, basically looks stock other than the shiney blue craw box. other custom stuff was drive shaft's.

overlooking the estimates, i think it was closer to $5500 at the end just to add 4wd. Worthed it to me since i'm the original owner and i don't plan on selling it . The cheaper route is way better for saving money, which isn't bad either.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperhart303 View Post
Great conversion! Inchworm t-case looks great!

thanks. i love crawling under my truck stare at it, lol. everyone that see's it, even if they don't know car stuff is like, oh cool, what is that!!?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
new pictures messing around at work parking lot. Boxrocket inspired the photo's when i was looking at his awesome build.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 CC
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have pics of a stock double cab v6 4x4, or an you take more pics of what you did? I dont know all that much about 4WDs and I really have no idea what im looking at. Lol. Just so I dont sound like a dumb ass when I talk about it. Thank you. I really do want go do this I just need to understand more about it.