Notices

Munkels Build

Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
fka unregistered lurker...
munkel is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Munkels Build

Figured I may as well throw up a build thread now that I am making some progress on my rig. Bought my 2004 used in 2006 on New Years Eve, was hoping to squeak a few extra dollars out of the dealership before the end of year. Truck was stock except for a K&N CAI and a Vortex throttle body spacer. The bed must have been scratched up as they had just had it sprayed with Rhino liner or the equivalent.

Engine/Drivetrain:
3.4 V6
Automatic
K&N CAI (on when purchased)
Vortex throttle body spacer (on when purchased)
Stock gearing

Suspension:
Icon Coilovers Standard travel
REMOVED - Icon External Reservoir rear shocks
REMOVED - Icon AAL
REMOVED - All-Pro 3" leaf pack
OME Dakar Leaf pack
OME D6XL AAL
App-Pro 1.5" shackles
BAMF BPV bracket
Extended rear brake line
Trail gear U-Bolt flip kit
4 Crawler axle relocate
Front diff drop
OME sport rear shocks - relocated with new crossmember
Timbrens rear bumps (too big IMO)

Wheels/Tires:
285/75/16 Duratracs
Stock spare steelies painted black
1.25" BORA/Motorsport Tech wheel adapters
285/75/16 Duratrac spare

Armor/Protection:
Elite front winch bumper with local fabricator added hoops
BAMF kick out sliders

Interior Misc:
RAM mount GPS windshield mount
iPhone windshield mount
two fire extinguishers mounted beside rear seats
Wet Okole seat covers front/rear cordura seat cover
Wheelskins perforated steering wheel cover
seat belt cutter/glass breaker mounted on drivers door inside
Maglite

Exterior Misc:
2 40mm? ammo cans secured to bed and locked closed
Delta 32" truck box for tools, CV etc
Small air compressor VIAIR 85P
Softopper soft top canopy
Wilderness trail roof rack with shovel and Hi Lift mounted
Yakima roof rack bars
Grillcraft grill
Trail gear rear frame plates welded on

Lighting/Electrical:
Rats nest of wiring under hood
PIAA fogs in bumper
Hella 700FF lights on bumper with 130 watt bulbs
Hella Module 70 back up lights in rear bumper
Hella Module 70's on roof rack pointed to rear/side
In cab winch controls
OTRATTW laser etched switches
Pioneer HU with dual usb input, iPod and iPhone
Uniden 520XL CB in ashtray location
4' Firestik antenna
dual power outlets in bed
Inverter
SlimCubby HID's

Recovery Gear:
Tree strap
Tow strap
Snap recovery strap
Warn M8000 winch
Steel hawse fairlead
Multiple sections of chain
Snatch block
shackles - 8-10 too many
rear receiver shackle mount
48" Hi Lift
Shovel
Ax
Tire plug kit

Future Plans:
4 crawler 1" body lift, sitting in box in garage....
Bussman relay/accessory fuse box
CBI rear swingout bumper, on it's way soon....
Paranoid Fabrications custom dash switch mount for below stereo and clock - sitting in box in garage....

The day I brought it home:

Quickly making sure my measurements at the dealer were correct and that my bike would fit.

Getting my dogs seal of approval!

A set of Icons a few years later and a AAL kit for the stock leafs.

A pic after the install...

Little removable toolbox setup for the bed, turned out pretty well.

A little taste of sand, had the bike for the day so it got the abuse not the Taco.

Got a Grillcraft grill and blacked out the chrome grill surround.

Picked up a used black canopy for the truck....

So I had to transport the bike a different way...

New All Pro 3 inch pack to replace the saggy rear end, even with the Icon AAL it was sitting too low, especially when the bike was on the back.

Pretty soon the AP pack was sagging really bad and threw on a longer AP shackle set to try and make it last a bit longer.

Traded in my Yakima rack for a Wilderness trail rack and flush mounted it on the roof. Added some Hella lights facing sideways and towards the rear.

BAMP sliders primed up and ready to paint...

Painted and installed... with a softopper replacing the fiberglass canopy.

BAMF BPV bracket helped a lot.

Elite front bumper, painted and set up with a new winch and PIAA fogs.

Holee Shit that was one heavy sumbitch to mount up!

Added a few Hella light to the top of the bumper and got my CB antenna mounted.

Decided I needed a good switch setup so I ditched the factory stereo and got a nice Pioneer and then fabbed up a plastic switch plate for under the new stereo. Ordered some sweet switches from OTRATTW,com.

Bought a used rear bumper and sanded, painted and drilled a few holes for some Hella backup lights.

Bought a set of stock base model Tundra wheels off Craigslist for real cheap, same wheel as the stock spare.

Sanded, painted, mounted up with my BFG MT's

Wheelskins steering wheel cover, feels a lot better than the stock wheel.

Kept rubbing the rear of the fenderwells when getting close to stuffing the rears, decided something needed to change.

Rear was sagging badly with any weight in the back and especially with the bike on the hitch. Decided to order some new leafs.... Last pic before the new leafs.

Dakar leafs and OME rear sport shocks with the AP shackles.

A set of Timbrens off craigslist, probably to be replaced by something else later on that's smaller.

New hoops for the Elite bumper from my local fab shop. (Saw Ponethousands and PCBuilders and had to copy them)

While I was at the shop I had them reinforce the rear end in anticipation of my new bumper that should be here soon. Also had them weld in a tube and mounts top and bottom for the rear shocks. (mounting location stolen from BoxRocket)

Random shot from this winter, was driving every day and the ice just kept building up and melting off.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit! I'm pretty sure that was you I saw today at Santiam Bicycle shop next to Washington Square mall..And I purposely drove by you to take a closer peek as I drove off. I knew that truck looked familiar. Hope that was you lol you were wearing an Icons shirt? I was wearing the cargo shorts with Air Jordan t shirt with my daughter, went back inside the shop because I forgot my sunglasses on the helmet box
Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
GATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Alex
Location: B'ham, AL. Can be found in good ole Cherry Point, NC
GATORTACO92's Tacoma Gallery
Very clean 1st Gen!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #6

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that was me, I saw your truck driving by as you were leaving, told my wife you were on TW. She had seen you in the store. Buying my 2 year old a balance bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Holy shit! I'm pretty sure that was you I saw today at Santiam Bicycle shop next to Washington Square mall..And I purposely drove by you to take a closer peek as I drove off. I knew that truck looked familiar. Hope that was you lol you were wearing an Icons shirt? I was wearing the cargo shorts with Air Jordan t shirt with my daughter, went back inside the shop because I forgot my sunglasses on the helmet box
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORTACO92 View Post
Very clean 1st Gen!
thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkel View Post
Yeah, that was me, I saw your truck driving by as you were leaving, told my wife you were on TW. She had seen you in the store. Buying my 2 year old a balance bike.
Right on man. Don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together, I just knew I've seen your truck somewhere before. I had to upgrade my daughter's helmet since she outgrew her old one and target has funky designed ones so we stopped by there. You go to that shop often? The guy who helped me seemed so excited to help us choose our helmets

Anyway, nice truck man! Looks 10x better person.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #9

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
I had never been there before, never knew it existed. Wife found it online and we rolled in. Saw you and your daughter come in and leave really quick and thought it was odd. Didn't see you grab the glasses though. Didn't notice your truck until it was driving away, just got a look at the rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Right on man. Don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together, I just knew I've seen your truck somewhere before. I had to upgrade my daughter's helmet since she outgrew her old one and target has funky designed ones so we stopped by there. You go to that shop often? The guy who helped me seemed so excited to help us choose our helmets

Anyway, nice truck man! Looks 10x better person.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice double cab.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #12

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, no skids yet, after electrical cleanup then skids. I got the regular outback with swingout, table, cutouts for backup lights and single can carrier. Hi lift mounted to it as well. All painted and bolted up and made its maiden trip this weekend. Just need to download pics.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #13

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Few pics from last weekend, little camping trips with bikes.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #14
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed, really like it man.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #16

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Pulled the rack and soft topper off to wash it up for summer, hadn't washed it in a very long time, took a few pics along the way.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
WEST KY YOTA'S
TacomaYeti is on a distinguished road

Name: Reed
TacomaYeti's Tacoma Gallery
hey bud, I just got the exact same truck and i want to lift it..i have never lifted a truck or tacoma..could you give me a list of what all i need to get a 3 inch lift or what you have?
thanks, reed
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #18

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
that is a tough question as there is 100+ different ways to lift a yota. There is a ton of lift threads on here, check there for some different options.

What I have is the following for my lift:
Icon Coilovers for the front
Old Man Emu sport shocks for the rear
OME Dakar rear leafs with add a leaf/overload
1.5 inch all pro shackles
extended rear brake line
longer rear u-bolts

I have also done other modifications to get that combo to work for me like weld in a crossmember and relocate the rear shocks.

Keep in mind anything you do will be affected by adding armor or other weight, so if you get front shocks/coilovers etc and you plan on getting a bumper/winch then get stiffer springs, same for the rear. If you didn't get a rear bumper then you might not need the AP shackles or overload leaf.

If it were me and I were just getting my truck and I know what I know now I would get a package deal on an old man emu/dakar package from Kurts cruiser outfitters or wheelers in grants pass. Call up either of those places and tell them what you intend on doing, hauling, modding and they can give you a few different options. Something like Icon being the most expensive and OME being more reasonable but still more then a crappy spacer lift, don't do that.....
Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
WEST KY YOTA'S
TacomaYeti is on a distinguished road

Name: Reed
TacomaYeti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkel View Post
that is a tough question as there is 100+ different ways to lift a yota. There is a ton of lift threads on here, check there for some different options.

What I have is the following for my lift:
Icon Coilovers for the front
Old Man Emu sport shocks for the rear
OME Dakar rear leafs with add a leaf/overload
1.5 inch all pro shackles
extended rear brake line
longer rear u-bolts

I have also done other modifications to get that combo to work for me like weld in a crossmember and relocate the rear shocks.

Keep in mind anything you do will be affected by adding armor or other weight, so if you get front shocks/coilovers etc and you plan on getting a bumper/winch then get stiffer springs, same for the rear. If you didn't get a rear bumper then you might not need the AP shackles or overload leaf.

If it were me and I were just getting my truck and I know what I know now I would get a package deal on an old man emu/dakar package from Kurts cruiser outfitters or wheelers in grants pass. Call up either of those places and tell them what you intend on doing, hauling, modding and they can give you a few different options. Something like Icon being the most expensive and OME being more reasonable but still more then a crappy spacer lift, don't do that.....

thanks man that helped tons
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet looking truck!

Matt